Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 07:31   #1

Any experience with an OSTAC Nimbus 43

Hello,

I have the possibility to buy an OSTAC Nimbus 43 cat. Does anybody have experience with this cat? I want ot do a circumnavigation in warm waters (trade winds zone).

Thanks in advance,

Kai
KHK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 12:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The ad's indicate that there were only 4 built, so you may not get an overwhelming response.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 13:13   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Kai, I have never heard of it but notice two things at the outset: 1. it has only a single diesel, which is less than ideal for a cat of that size. Do you know if it has a sonic drive? Regardless, it will not only reduce maneuverability, but the bridgedeck clearance may be reduced to accomodate the diesel. 2. it has a cutter rig, but unlike various Prouts/Solaris yachts so equipped, the mast seems to be stepped in the middle of the coach house rather than at the aft bulkhead. How is it supported structurally?

If I may be so bold as to ask, is there a particular reason you are interested are interested in this cat?

Brad

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 04:45   #4

Hi,

@GordMay: Well I don't expect an overwhelming response but one good one would be nice.

@Southern Star: Of course you can ask:

I want to do a circumnavigation using only solar energy with solar panels and electric motors. I thought at first I could find find a shipyard who could build me a cat exactly to my needs. But the problems are that:

1) I'm having difficulties to find sponsors for my vessel as I can't finance it completly myself. To find sponsors for a lot of services is easy but the main sponsor for the vessel isn't that easy...

2) Serious cat shipyards have in general waiting lists of 1, 2 up to 3 years and it would cost a lot more than buying a used cat suitable for my project though it might not be as optimised as a new on build completly to my requirements. I hope to be able to achieve between 5 to 6 knots under normal conditions. There is a swiss shipyard which build the suncat21 whihc went from Spain to NYC last year but they build normally solar cats for lakes and I want to use an oceangoing cat!

So, I'm looking at the moment for used sailing cats between 12 and 15 m Length and a beam of 7 to 8 m. Though weight is not the only criteria, standard motor cats are in general much to heavy. That is why I found the OSTAC Nimbus 43 on the internet as well as a St Françis 43'. I found also a Kelsall cat but it dismasted 3 years ago and the damages were not repaired and water was and still is leaking in the starboard hull as the cat in on dry land but not covered. The water seems to have caused important damages to the hull. It's pitty because otherwise I found the cat quite nice...

Covering the surface of such a cat with high efficiency solar panels I should be able to get enough power to go at 60 - 70 % of the hull speed of 8 to 9 knots.

Normally, I'm a sailor and have crossed the atlantic 3 times in both directions and I know what I'm in for concerning weather, sea conditions. But I want to do this time something new and different!

If you know of another cat LWL 12 to 15 m and beam 7 to 8 m with a global weight of 6, 7 metric tons max and fine hulls to go easier through waves, let me know.

A nice weekend from Paris,

Kai
Old 14-03-2008, 04:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
How about a “Tri” ?
MARPLES 44 TRIMARAN FOR SALE-BARGAIN
... I will sell this boat project for $5,000 or I will accept offers for consideration...
Goto: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ain-13556.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 05:16   #6

Hi,

I thought about a tri but there are 3 things concerning this one:

1) I'm not an experienced boat builder and the tri is not yet finished. As I want to do ocean crossings, I prefere having it finished by experienced people...

2) I will have to install the solar panels on a roof above the main deck because it is not always recomended to walk on the solar panels and the surfaces shouldn't be to close to the water to reduce salt deposition (reduces efficiency).

3) I will have to put approx. 2 metric tons of payload on the vessel (weight of the solar panels and lithium batteries necessary) and I was told a cat would be more suitable for that purpose. But maybe that is'nt completly true? What do you think?

Regards,

Kai