Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 23:10   #1

Any "EDEL 43" sailors out there ...?

Hello to all !
My name is Wulf and I'm very close to buy a 20 years old EDEL catamaran in the Mediteranean. But neither I've practical experience with catamarans, nor with EDEL 43. In the internet I found a lot of recommendation for the smaller one, the EDEL 35, but nothing about the 43.
Who knows more about this boat? Any assistence, or experience is welcomed.

Best regards
from Germany Wulf
zwaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 02:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Any "EDEL 43" sailors out there ...?

The Edels never made it to Australia, but I have seen the 35, and it had some really good points, cannot help with the 43. Sorry
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 19:47   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings
I have owned an Edel 43 for six years during which time I have logged 10k plus miles. I am tapping this out on my iPhone but will be happy to write more when I am at my laptop. The 43 is a well laid-up boat, light and fast when compared to more traditional charter-type cruising cats. The inboard walkways give a very secure feeling at sea and make for a good charter layout.
Old 29-05-2012, 20:58   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I met a couple with one child in Thailand who were completing a circumnavigation on an Edel Cat 35. They were happy with their cat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 22:19   #5

Thanks to "Happyendings" and Dave-"Maxingout" for your replies.
What you wrote sounds good.
From the couple with the EDEL 35, I heard, that they arrived still happily with their catamaran in the Eastern Med.
By the way, I inspected an Edel 35 in Portugal and I felt in love with the idea of this catamaran. It is a perfekt layout for sailing with guests in the tropics.The owner told me about the bigger one the Edel 43 which is built similar. And at least we decided to buy for the bigger one.
But if someone is interested by the Edel 35, (for only 60.000 Euro) I can arrange the contact to the owner.

Very interesting to hear more from "Happyendings" , about his experience with the EDEL 43. For example: at what windspeed did you reduce which sail, or technical things, or weaknesses points of that boat, osmosis or other problems .
Next week the offered Edel is taken out of the water, to check it for osmosis.
If that is also without negative result, same as this survey here in the forum, I'll buy it.

Thanks to you and the forum , regards from Wulf
Old 06-07-2012, 19:51   #6

Hello,

I am myself in search of an edel cat to buy.. very difficult to have information about the 43 as you mentioned.. I would be more than happy if you could share your experience with the one you are buying..

Also, i might be interested in the edel 35 you looked for as an alternative to the 43 if there is not much out there for sale..

The one you saw was in Portugal i think.. What made you prefer the 43.. Space ? Not much storage?

Thank you very much..

Christophe.
christova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18   #7

Hello Christophe,
yes I'm now the proud owner of the EDEL 43, but still without any experience, because we live in Germany and the boat is lying in South France, which is 1000 Kilometers far from here. But next week we start to sail the boat to Portugal and later to the carribean, the pacific and to SE Asia. For us the layout of the boat is perfect,specially if you sail in tropical waters. Good view forward from the cockpit and also a nice cool breeze. The separate cabins makes it pleasant, if you have guests on board.
The reason that we decided to buy the bigger one and not the 35 ft in Portugal , was that the offered Edel 35 had only 1 outboard motor. That made it for me difficult to manoever in marinas and also it had not enough power on reverse gear, to grab the anchor deep in the ground at anchorage. The last point is very important for me, because I like the feeling that I can trust my anchor.
A second point was the limited headclearance in the pantry for people taller than 1.70m. My wife likes to cook !!!
And at least the wide of the beds, was to small for 2 persons, in hot arears.
The rest and the testsail at 6 bft. was impressive for me.
My opinion: A lot of space for 35 ft, good sailing performance, solid, and all for a surprising price.
Hope that I could help you a little bit ...for the moment, may be later more,

good Luck
Wulf
Old 07-07-2012, 19:54   #8

OT but does anyone know the story of the Edel 28 (I think) that washed up on the rocks in Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera a few years ago?
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 04:52   #9

Hello Wulf,

I found this old thread and now I'm wondering how do you get along with your Edel 43 and what happened in the last two years! Hope you'll find a bit time to share your experience
ifcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:03   #10

Hello Ifcha,
thank you for your interest in my wellbeing.
Yes, I' m still happy with my EDEL 43. We made a lot of miles in the
Atlantic and mediteranian waters, without any problems. The longest
trip took us 9 days, tacking, back from the island Madeira, direction to the Acores Islands and the to Gibraltar. This was hard work, against wind, current and the waves, no
our best idea, but we were under time pressure, to bring our guests to the airport.
So, the resume of this journey was, that we would wish more bridgedeck clearance on our next catamaran, when we go windward. But the tacking, she made with good result. The catamaran goes close to the wind, is easy to handel, and also maneuvering on a crowded anchorage under sails is a pleasure for me, not always for the dreaming boat owners in their cockpits, which react often shocked, when we pass them, in short distance and loudless with high speed.
However the Edel 43 was build for sailing. Under deck it has only the space of a modern 38 ft houseboat catamaran, but on sea you have the comfort of 43 ft.
It is made for tropical or subtropical waters, because you are not very sheltered by a large deckshouse. Therefore you enjoy the cooling breeze in the cockpit.
If you want more detailled information, please let me know.
Regards from Wulf, still located in Portugal, starting next week to the mediterranian
PS you will find some nice pictures on our homepage Segeln,Mitsegeln,Chartern,Katamaran,Segeln an der Algarve - aquavites Webseite!