Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 22:59   #1

Any Cats in the 38 to 42ft range that have crankup dagger and rudders and motors?

Want a Cat in the 38 to 42 foot range that can beached and run in
real skinny water.
Want it for crusing around Florida bays and coast for 5 months out of
the year for the winter time while out of Idaho. Is there any thing out like that.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Did the rudders come up on Green Flash?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 13:50   #3

I'm building a 44 foot boat with lifting rudders, daggerboard and outboards. http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477

Bob Oram has a range of boats with these features.

Bob Oram Design
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 14:11   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
real skinny water.
the year for the winter time while out of Idaho. Is there any thing out like that.
The MaineCat 41 fits your specs. With the boards up, it draws 2'6" and 7'0" with the boards down. Here's a link:

Maine Cat 41 Specifications

The Dolphin 46, while longer than you specify, has retractable boards. Draft is 3'7" to 7'5". They do have a 43' but I can't find the specs. Here's a link to Dolphin:

DOLPHIN CATAMARANS

For all the information you could ever need on Dolphins, talk to Phil Berman at The Multihull Company. Here's a link:

Catamarans for Sale

Edit: I hadn't read the full title of your thread (I was only taking into account shallow draft), so I wasn't considering the requirement of getting the rudders and propulsion system out of the water as well as the dagger boards. Sorry. Still, the MaineCat 41 gives you a big, comfortable cat with great performance, so if you can live without actually beaching your vessel it's well-worth taking a look at.

TaoJones
Old 13-03-2009, 11:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Many cats can put their bows on the beach for a picnic. Some have ladders that drop down allowing guests to disembarque without getting their feet soaked.

Being able to raise all appendages is not that common. Some geminis were equipped with outboards that could clear the water. I'm not sure if the Silette Leg goes high enough to beach.

I don't know how 'high and dry' you need. A light cruising machine might displace 10,000 pounds, and that means it needs something around 2' of water to float, and in less water it would need a caterpillar to move!

In Florida 2' of water can turn into 1' of water twice a day and its probably close enough to a swamp to be mosquito country, or its covered with tourists and smells like cocoa butter!

If its some "waterfront property" you want to get close to, I could understand. What are you considering?

ps the Dolphin 43 was a no show: it turned into a 46 on the drawing board.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:40   #6
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
real skinny water.

I am in the Florida Keys and sail the Gulf side of the Keys and the Bay often with just a hair less than 4'. Our next boat will be a catamaran in the 44' to 47' with a draft of 4' or less. I feel that I'm able to get just about anywhere with this while in this area except some of the creeks in the Everglades from the Gulf around the 10,000 Islands(the easy access of a motored dighy on the cat should satify me on this). Some of the catamarans I am looking at, Catana 431 draws 2'8" and some 'one off" boats are around 3' draft, all with daggerboards which I like and will get if all work out for me. Having sailed all this time now with 4' below me I'm "hard wired" for that and would most likely just stay out of anything skinnier! Knowing these waters that's probable a good thing.

Where will you be keeping your cat once you get it?
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dagger boards