Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 23:46   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Any Catamaran Owners in Perth Australia?

After almost a year my house has eventually gone under offer - Yeah - (Yes the market is Dire here). So I am now seriously looking for a 42-46' Catamaran somewhere between the Eastern Med and Central America.

If there are any cat owners in Perth that would be willing to let me have a quick look at their Cats to get an idea of different models and Layouts it would be greatly appreciated, as seeing different models without major travel is a big issue here.

Just did a Charter on a 38' Leopard - Much too small for what I am after (family of 4 sometimes 5) and have been on a 40' Privilege (pre 1998 model) which was pretty similar in size to the Leopard.

PM's welcome

Cheers

Paul
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 19:07   #2

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Any Catamaran Owners in Perth Australia?

You have the Perth International Boat Show on this week end. You can climb all over them and ask all the questions you'd like.
Old 20-09-2018, 22:57   #3
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You have the Perth International Boat Show on this week end. You can climb all over them and ask all the questions you'd like.
I've been to a few when they had it in Mandurah - To say it was rubbish is being very generous - They had 2 Cats at the last one I went to.

Now it is in Perth it is highly unlikely that anything of size will be there, unless they are going to drop the masts to get them up the river.

Unfortunately Perth is not a Big area for Cat Sales - Its mainly Motor Boats and then Monos.
Old 21-09-2018, 01:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Take short but expensive vacation to the Florida Cat centres around Fort Lauderdale.

In the long run, the cost of the trip will be merited easily by the purchase price and compatibility you have with your new vessel.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 17:19   #5
MHS
Marine Service Provider

Hi Paul.
I am currently at the Perth boat show. I am Based in Mandurah.
If you would like to Come to the show over the next few days I would be more that happy to discuss options with you and arrange for you to view some cats. Unfortunately because of the location there are no sailing cats on display. A colleague and I are on the Fountaine Pajot MY37 power cat. Alternatively I can give you a call after the show to catch up.
MHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 04:41   #6

There is a new Leopard 45 'Condo-cat' looking thing down at Port Coogee if you wanted to have a look. Don't know the owners though, other than to say hello. But if you have a spare million or so I think you could grab one!

Can't help you with my boat as it's smaller than you are keen on. (it's only a 38' Cat, though there is a 1/5 share in it for sale if you wanted to hang around Perth and sail). FWIW, we find it perfectly roomy for our family of 4. Much more space than our previous 42' monohull that we lived on full time for 2 years.(only 2 of us for most of that time then a baby as well for 6 months).
200MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 05:46   #7
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHS View Post
Hi Paul.
I am currently at the Perth boat show. I am Based in Mandurah.
If you would like to Come to the show over the next few days I would be more that happy to discuss options with you and arrange for you to view some cats. Unfortunately because of the location there are no sailing cats on display. A colleague and I are on the Fountaine Pajot MY37 power cat. Alternatively I can give you a call after the show to catch up.

Just sent you a PM
Old 25-09-2018, 23:24   #8

Boat: FP

Hi
We have a FP Salina 48 that we live aboard may be of interest, we are currently at Rotto, we’ll be headed south to Mandurah or Busso on the weekend.
Cheers Rob
robc au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 02:18   #9
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc au View Post
Hi
We have a FP Salina 48 that we live aboard may be of interest, we are currently at Rotto, we’ll be headed south to Mandurah or Busso on the weekend.
Cheers Rob
Sent you a PM
Old 26-09-2018, 16:29   #10

I have a Lagoon 470, and it is out of water at Henderson if you would like to check out.
Notayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 17:20   #11
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notayote View Post
I have a Lagoon 470, and it is out of water at Henderson if you would like to check out.

Sent you a PM
Old 08-10-2018, 18:15   #12

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

Hi UFO, I am based in Port Bouvard and been where you are in the purchase cycle several times .
My requirements only needed up to 40 ' .
I spent a whole year flying all over to reject most of what was on offer .
You dont say if you realise the differance between the heavy displacement apartment type Cats whose performance and ride quality is compromised by weight and hull aspect ratio figures .
With your apparent healthy budget might I suggest you focus on the Queensland area where I eventually have made all my four purchases.
As above my focus is always on performance and ease in sea way handling ability.
Might I suggest you look for Grainger 50's (Chincogan's) and or other excellant Australian designers .
Epoxy over polyester and believe it or not the big name manufacturers took years or never worked out that polyester resin absorbs water so be very careful of blisters .
My point on performance is not only in relation to speed but the motion of the boat when underway , and to keep everyone on board comfortable happy and confident the last thing you want is a low bridge deck slamming along trying to hold a course to windward.
Another option to investigate is the differance in dagger boards v's fixed keels , there are pro's and con's for both ,I prefer daggers for their superior pointing efficiency however having had both my fixed keels on a Fusion 40 worked fine .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 00:28   #13

Hi again ,as stated above I have seen on Yacht Hub a couple of Graingers on the market ,also an Aluminium Kerr , also a little overpriced but an excellant Outremmer in NZ .
Langkawi is quite easy and cheap to fly to .
What I hope you gain from my comments is try to think outside of the Euro production boats box that have their place in the Market charter etc .but also consider other designers and custom builds that can often produce top grade boats .
Old 09-10-2018, 00:31   #14

Please note I have no interest in any boats currently on the market ,but I am willing to share my limited knowledge good luck in your search .
Old 09-10-2018, 01:40   #15
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Hi again ,as stated above I have seen on Yacht Hub a couple of Graingers on the market ,also an Aluminium Kerr , also a little overpriced but an excellant Outremmer in NZ .
Langkawi is quite easy and cheap to fly to .
What I hope you gain from my comments is try to think outside of the Euro production boats box that have their place in the Market charter etc .but also consider other designers and custom builds that can often produce top grade boats .

Thanks for the effort. I'll be looking in the Med and Caribbean, as those are the areas I would like to start off in. As I will have the whole family, space will be an issue, so possibly looking more towards boats like the Bahia or Lagoon 470 - Or along those lines - The Graingers look nice as well, so would not discount them - Not sure how many you'll find in the locations I'm looking.

Tags
Australia, catamaran