Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 23:09   #1

Anti-Capsize Devices

With cruisers expressing interest in these devices I thought it may be worth discussing.

With Idec flipping recently and the skipper reporting his system didn't trigger ....... At the time I was sailing under triple reefed mainsail and with the small ORC [storm jib]. The violence of the squall was such that the sensor, and the anti-capsize alarm did not have time to go off......

I was wondering does anyone have any info on Idecs device, I'm assuming its state of the art.

Regards
Old 24-08-2011, 07:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anti-Capsize Devices

“IDEC” used the he Ganovelli Concept ACS: ANTI-CAPSIZE SYSTEM

See ➥ http://www.ganovelli-concept.fr/inde...mid=47&lang=en

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:14   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I checked the link but the vidio didn't work.

I guess I'll do it the old fashioned way let the sheets go some at 7 deg's wearing sailing gloves and try not to loose too much speed. The last time I didn't have gloves on and got burn't a little, but recovered quickly.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:01   #4

Information is now starting to come out.

Joyon was on deck sailing with an ORC storm jib and tripple reefed main in 10 to 30 knots, squally conditions. When the gust hit he dumped the mainsheet and then the traveler. At that point he fell out of the cockpit but was able to grab the netting while the boat capsized on top of him. He crawled under water for 40 seconds in a random direction till he found the ama and came up. It sounds like he was pretty shook, who wouldn't be, and is lucky to be alive.

How much breeze does it take to flip a 100 foot tri flying a storm jib? 60, 70 80 knots..... How quickly did it hit? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds..........
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 23:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Anti-Capsize Devices

It has been quite awhile since I've reviewed this subject, but it came to me recently as I was looking thru some material on a new 60' hi-performance cat claiming capabilities of single-handed operation with a hi-aspect sloop style rig, and they mentioned this 'UpSideUp' system with multiple capabilities.

I went looking for what equipment was specifically doing the work of safely releasing the loads. Here is what I found:
http://www.oceandatasystem.com/?mode=developpement-ods-peripheriques[/URL]

So I ask, has anyone had personal experience with this equipment? ....or any competing hardware they would like to put forward??
Old 16-01-2012, 00:49   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Sorry for the slight thread drift, but these stories are a good wakeup call for mono sailors, too.

The gust that would flip a 90-foot multihull (!) would probably knock down any of our boats. How many of us assume that even in tough weather, nothing could throw us out of the cockpit? I don't believe I have ever clipped on to the padeyes I have on the cockpit sole although I have been sailing in a lot of rough weather. Maybe we should be more careful with that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Beiland,wont you give us that link again it seem to be faulty!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 11:40   #8

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Beiland,wont you give us that link again it seem to be faulty!
Have a look here:

Systme anti chavirage UpSideUp

Old 16-01-2012, 18:03   #9

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

....here we go again, so I guess I will bite.

Why doesn't some-one start a thread on the monohull section about devices that warn of canting keels about to fall off on those monos being sailed on the edge....oh, and the device needs to enable the crew to do something to prevent the keel falling off.....

I did a quick advanced search couldn't find a thread on the monohull threads.....
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 20:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
....here we go again, so I guess I will bite.

Why doesn't some-one start a thread on the monohull section about devices that warn of canting keels about to fall off on those monos being sailed on the edge....oh, and the device needs to enable the crew to do something to prevent the keel falling off.....

I did a quick advanced search couldn't find a thread on the monohull threads.....
Stop crying for baby's milk, multihulls can flip too!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 20:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A mono hull won't go beyond 90 degrees and probably not more than 75 degrees from wind pressure alone. It takes wave action in combination with wind to roll a mono. With a multi hull, it's not only the wind pressure on the sails that flips them but wind pressure under the boat when the hull flies over 45 degrees or so. A little wave action can help, also.

Having said that, not clipping on anytime you are on deck really isn't smart. Many man overboards are people being knocked out or knocked off the boat from the cockpit by the boom. The two that were lost in the Sydney-Hobart race a couple of years ago are a prime example. When sailing solo, I hook up before I leave the cabin no matter what the wind or sea condtions. The only time I've nearly gone overboard was in very benign conditions on a reach. If my wife hadn't grabbed my feet as I piroueted over the life lines, would have gone for a swim a thousand miles from anywhere.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 20:50   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Stop crying for baby's milk, multihulls can flip too!
yeah look at the "angle of vanishing stability" on a multi...then add to that the fact a multi is more stable upside down. My mono has an "anti-capsize device" that will also right it on the off chance 'iI do capsize....4200lbs of lead,no electronics to fail, works on gravity
Old 16-01-2012, 21:08   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I almost took a tumble of my boat 3 months ago. I bent over to pick up something on the deck when my butt hit the big winch and knocked me off balance and almost over the life lines.

The worse thing is, the boat's on the hard, and it would have been a 10' fall to the rocks below. So you don't even have to be at sea to worry about falling overboard.
Old 16-01-2012, 22:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A mono hull won't go beyond 90 degrees and probably not more than 75 degrees from wind pressure alone. It takes wave action in combination with wind to roll a mono. With a multi hull, it's not only the wind pressure on the sails that flips them but wind pressure under the boat when the hull flies over 45 degrees or so. A little wave action can help, also.
However, monohulls have been known to downflood and sink when knocked down by unexpeted gusts of wind.

Also it takes significantly smaller waves to roll a monohull compared to a cat. Basically it's a function of beam.

Pro's and cons to both, but strangely they always seem to be discussed in the multihull forum.....

I haven't been able to determine from the links, what this device does. If it simply releases the mainsheet at a specified load, there are other simpler methods of doing that, such as sailfuse, and even simpler, tying the mainseet block to the boom with spectra of a suitable breaking strain.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 01:34   #15

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

It looked like it released just some extra sheet so the sail would luff and correct the ballance untill the sail sheet could be reset. Would it not be easier to just look at the wind instruments and reef, but if your racing it might be some help.

Tags
capsize