Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 12:46   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Anti-Capsize Devices

Does that amp go to 11?

Brian, Bad links.
Old 29-01-2012, 20:33   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Re: Micro Burst of Wind Energy

Sorry for the bad links....different program with different forums...try these....

For those not believing how quickly the wind can come up at times, check this video out, (and watch the wind reverse direction after the initial burst):
http://www.mylefkada.gr/eidhseis/nea/6435-vlyxo.html

"It was more than 60knots, more like 100 (with 35 years north sea experience I know the difference between 60 and 100 knots). We had about 30 seconds warning and managed to start the engine unlike most people. We were knocked flat at least three times and feel lucky to have survived with minor damage to the boat and only bruises to ourselves.
A truly terrifying experience."
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3144510#post3144510

...and then check out the damage photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yachtleisha/VlikhoBay
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 20:38   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I hear the French Atlantic Racing guys developed a real simple but effective anti capsize system. Does anyone perhaps know more?
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 21:01   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A friend of mine did a transatlantic on Cat years ago with the releasing Cam system built into some type of inclinometer so that at a certain amount of heel it would release all the sheets.

They had a few false releases due to cross wave action and noted that the tail of the sheets would often jam, negating the purpose.

I wonder if this idea would work better on the main if applied to the outhaul line which was wound on a spool and activated by a mast-top sensor.

I think it could work on all designs / Mono-multi / with different angles set in for comfort level….Probably already exists
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 21:09   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The sort of weather that might cause a multi-hull to capsize is also the same sort of weather that might cause enough excess water to get below decks and short out the electrical....and any gizmos attached to it.For that reason any anti-capsize device should be purely mechanical.
Old 29-01-2012, 21:24   #51

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

A loose footed main could have a endboom pendulum releasing the outhaul. Lazyjacks would have to go to the foot of the main along with reefs . I like the spool idea, might be a good idea to use on a mainsheet. Reefing to the gusts is sensible, we hand hold sheets when pushing things.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 21:29   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Agreed... i think a neumatic system in support of the mechanical divice might just give enough omph to work the only concern is it must be lightning fast in releasing the main and hopefully the lazy jacks can cope but i doubt. Could one not harness the power of the pull/force on the main by determining a optimal force to sail in semi extreme conditions and if that force / pressure is somehow increase beyond that point the main is released. Question is what happens to the main on the way down as the force is suddenly released there will probably be a lot of sail flapping so the the halyard needs to be reeled inward at speed to in a way try to contain sail damage.

I guess that with everybody adding to thoughts we may just come up with a workable solution for everyboddy,
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 21:43   #53

I was thinking more of just letting the main go from the end of the boom, topping lift required of course, for a dump that bypasses the mainsheet altogether. A "fuse" is possible and could be set with line of the determined break strength. Jim Brown's old book, "The Case for the Cruising Multihull" show a pendulum system for jib sheets that is easy to make. We put our jib sheets into top access bins tailend first after tacks and haven't had a problem in releases though the dreaded flogging sheet ball needs to be watched out for if the sail is left to flog. Which wouldn't happen in a perfect world. I saw the capsized Prout in the video and wondered if they had biminis or awnings, high solar panels or if the wind just exceeded the righting moment.
Old 30-01-2012, 05:30   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
It has been quite awhile since I've reviewed this subject, but it came to me recently as I was looking thru some material on a new 60' hi-performance cat claiming capabilities of single-handed operation with a hi-aspect sloop style rig, and they mentioned this 'UpSideUp' system with multiple capabilities.

I went looking for what equipment was specifically doing the work of safely releasing the loads. Here is what I found:
Capteurs et priphriques
Here is that link cleared up...sorry different forums use different software
Old 30-01-2012, 05:42   #55
Marine Service Provider

Ganovelli Concept

Here is some real interesting material:

Ganovelli Concept - Accueil

Then have a look here at some articles,...and in particular the one from the Daily Sail
Ganovelli Concept - Presse et Publication

Then have a look at some of the installations
Ganovelli Concept - Ralisations
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DailySail_Carnage_preventer.pdf (421.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 30-01-2012, 09:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Agreed... i think a neumatic system in support of the mechanical divice might just give enough omph to work the only concern is it must be lightning fast in releasing the main and hopefully the lazy jacks can cope but i doubt. Could one not harness the power of the pull/force on the main by determining a optimal force to sail in semi extreme conditions and if that force / pressure is somehow increase beyond that point the main is released. Question is what happens to the main on the way down as the force is suddenly released there will probably be a lot of sail flapping so the the halyard needs to be reeled inward at speed to in a way try to contain sail damage.

I guess that with everybody adding to thoughts we may just come up with a workable solution for everyboddy,
The problems with a automatic halyard system are if the sail gets stuck or hung up on a spreader damage is sure to occur, perhaps even mast loss. The other issue is the sail will no longer luff freely, when it bunches drag could be increased. For these reasons I think the sail lowering should be done by the sailor.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:03   #57

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Do you multihull cruisers use this? Or is this a racing thing?
Old 31-01-2012, 08:06   #58

While a mechanical sheet release is on my list of upgrades prevention seems better than cure so we keep our sail area appropriate to the conditions, look ahead and keep our hands on the sheets in gusty conditions when driving hard. An alert prepared crewman on watch is a very sophisticated anticapsize device that needs no batteries ; We have been hit with sudden 40+ knot winds and having a plan helps avoid cunfusion and mistakes. The old rule of reefing a multihull to the puffs works well. For the impatient roller furling makes keeping the right area up easy.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:53   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Do you multihull cruisers use this? Or is this a racing thing?
Nope. Except for a very few. Probably the same percentage as monos. Less than 1%.
Old 31-01-2012, 21:52   #60
Marine Service Provider

All Roller Furling Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
.... The old rule of reefing a multihull to the puffs works well. For the impatient roller furling makes keeping the right area up easy.
...lead me to the idea of an all-roller-furling rig
Aftmast rigs??? - Page 7 - Boat Design Forums

....and here is another concept
WishBone Sailing Rig - Page 12 - Boat Design Forums
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize