Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2019, 12:54   #1

Boat: Discovery 50
Antares 44 or Knysna500SE

We are looking to order a new catamaran for delivery end-2020. So far we are very interested in the Antares 44 (built in Argentina) and Knysna 500SE (built in Sth Africa) - the latter is more of a semi-custom product although both come fully loaded for blue water cruising which is what we want. Will be seeing both at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show in October. Any views on these 2 boats or any others we should be considering ? Not a big fan of the larger production manufacturers and definitely looking for a comfortable cruiser rather than performance.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 13:44   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: Antares 44 or Knysna500SE

Both are excellent boats that will meet your "comfortable cruiser" priority quite well. The Antares has a long provenance from the original PDQ 42 and then 44 (they put transom extensions on it to improve load-carrying and performance). When PDQ in Canada went under due to economic changes, the Antares manufacturing moved to Argentina, but the reports indicate that they have not lost any of their emphasis on quality manufacturing and fittings.

The Knysna also has a long provenance from the original design by Angelo Lavranos, who has designed many mono and multihull boats. Knysna seems to have developed a reputation for quality, too.

While both would meet your "comfort" criterion quite nicely, given the choice between the two for a world cruiser, I'd go with the 500SE. While performance might not be your highest priority, it should certainly be a part of it! When the weather forecast is wrong, believe me, you want to get out of Dodge as fast as you can, and that extra speed of 1 to 2 knots can make a big difference. The Knysna can give you that. The waterline is longer, the hull to beam ratio on the hulls is narrower, and the sail plan is larger. Those things make a difference.

Of the two, I personally prefer the Antares layout and the cockpit is wonderful. But, I wouldn't let that make or break on either. Sail handling on both will be fine. You can customize both. Performance will be better on the Knysna and for long-distance, world cruising, that would be what would put me more on that side. On the other hand, if you think you'll be keeping pretty much to one or two regions and limit the long ocean passages, then I'd probably go with the Antares.

People often have their strong preferences for galley up versus down. But, many people haven't used galley down since they are much less common. Galley down has distinct advantages, especially when cooking under way. Also, it keeps that out of the social area. That might be a pro or a con. I don't recall ever seeing an Antares with galley up and they might not offer it. Knysna would probably do either.

What a nice dilemma to have! I don't think you can go wrong with either.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 13:56   #3

Boat: Outremer 51

If you like to sail, you also might take a look at the Outremer 51, a newer design that is in the same price range and sails well.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 14:02   #4

Intentional Drifter - many thanks for your reply. It’s a nice dilemma to have ! I was aware of the better performance of the Knysna but suspect it will all come down to how the experience on both boats goes at Annapolis - my only criticism so far of the Knysna is that the saloon seems rather small and hence the galley is. Night tight on space.
Old 28-07-2019, 14:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
If you like to sail, you also might take a look at the Outremer 51, a newer design that is in the same price range and sails well.
Thanks but the Outremer is a tad too performance orientated for us - need a little more comfort !
Old 28-07-2019, 14:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

You should probably also look at the St. Francis 50, the Xquisite X5, and various Privilege models.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 14:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
You should probably also look at the St. Francis 50, the Xquisite X5, and various Privilege models.
These beauties are stretching the already stretched budget, sadly.......
Old 29-07-2019, 08:46   #8

Hello Hartings,

I have a write-up/process on selecting a new (new to you) boat that you might find interesting. Even though we ultimately went with the Antares, the write-up can help may the choice that is best for your personal sailing life style. I will send you contact info if interested. Congratulations in advance !!
Old 29-07-2019, 08:51   #9

Perfect Ride - of course I would be interested - please PM me
Old 29-07-2019, 09:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Perfect Ride - of course I would be interested - please PM me
done.
Old 29-07-2019, 09:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Hello Hartings,

I have a write-up/process on selecting a new (new to you) boat that you might find interesting. Even though we ultimately went with the Antares, the write-up can help may the choice that is best for your personal sailing life style. I will send you contact info if interested. Congratulations in advance !!

Perfect Ride
Would appreciate your written up process too. Could you please send it to me?
Many thanks
Len
gibman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:28   #12

Agree that either boat is fine blue water cruiser, however the Antares has a much higher freeboard to contend with. You might wish to also consider the Maverick 440, also from So. Africa ( Capetown). She is a semi custom vessel where you have every choice you can imagine and then the builder will listen to anything else you have in mind: thus more custom than semi-custom, and a competitive price. If you sail it back ( no better way to learn your boat) you will have the added benefit of a stay at the Royal Cape Yacht Club for up to a month to check out everything and fine tune details. I can even recommend an excellent delivery captain for your consideration (30-31 crossings at last count).
jmastal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:30   #13

Boat: Antares 44i

We bought an Antares and have spent much of the past 3 years crossing the Atlantic and cruising the Med. The more we sail Valleycat, the more things we find that were just done well. If you are comfortable with the money, you will just not find a better made, better conceived or more comfortable boat for couples cruising the world. I’m happy to give you details privately. We’re on our boat on the south coast of Sicily right now.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Hello Hartings,

Perfect Ride, Im also interested in the information. Thanks in forward
ANJOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
We bought an Antares and have spent much of the past 3 years crossing the Atlantic and cruising the Med. The more we sail Valleycat, the more things we find that were just done well. If you are comfortable with the money, you will just not find a better made, better conceived or more comfortable boat for couples cruising the world. I’m happy to give you details privately. We’re on our boat on the south coast of Sicily right now.
I have sent you a PM - thanks

Tags
Antares