Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 12:39   #46

Re: Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Go get a Lagoon already and stop slagging off this pretty nice boat.
When I will need your advice, I'll ask you, Ok? Until then, keep your advices in your mouth. I'm only nice until people around are nice.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:23   #47

Boat: PT-11

It seems like you asked the entire forum for that advice by starting this thread. Look, you exemplify some of the worst wannabe's, wearing ignorance like a badge of honor and prattling on incessantly and only about the prices of boats. Believe me, when you've read on here for a while you'll know what I mean.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:25   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Go get a Lagoon already and stop slagging off this pretty nice boat.
Good advice. He should be able to get a nice 50-60 footer for $10. Because I say so.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 16:13   #49

OOo, Message Board Fight, Let me get some Popcorn
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 21:16   #50

Boat: Leopard 40 2008

I had the good fortune to board this beautiful vessel and meet her owners. It is quite nice and more spacious than you can imagine from the photos. This vessel requires an owner who appreciates how she was crafted and why she was made the way she was. And that is not me lol.

I am in the market for a cat, but being fresh on the water myself my interest is a production boat with a wide support system. What I mean by that is people know what you are talking about when you say Lagoon or Outremer and likely know a tip or someone else who has managed whatever problem one might be trying to solve.

It is true, cats that are priced right and in top shape sell within days. Without even so much as a proper listing. Even production boats in the market for some time are still there for a reason. And there are so many of those reasons already discussed here.

Sarabi is a beautiful vessel and I respect that however different she may be. The owners are very nice people and I respect them as well. As far as price goes...you can't get it if you don't ask for it. I don't blame them for asking this much. I understand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463199300.960636.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	124324
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463199385.251714.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	124325

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Code Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 21:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Blue View Post
I had the good fortune to board this beautiful vessel and meet her owners. It is quite nice and more spacious than you can imagine from the photos. This vessel requires an owner who appreciates how she was crafted and why she was made the way she was. And that is not me lol.

I am in the market for a cat, but being fresh on the water myself my interest is a production boat with a wide support system. What I mean by that is people know what you are talking about when you say Lagoon or Outremer and likely know a tip or someone else who has managed whatever problem one might be trying to solve.

It is true, cats that are priced right and in top shape sell within days. Without even so much as a proper listing. Even production boats in the market for some time are still there for a reason. And there are so many of those reasons already discussed here.

Sarabi is a beautiful vessel and I respect that however different she may be. The owners are very nice people and I respect them as well. As far as price goes...you can't get it if you don't ask for it. I don't blame them for asking this much. I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Here we go. You just proofed my points. I totally agree with you, and I also don't blame seller for asking price. I just pointed that it's not going to sell at that price, and time proofed that, if, like someone else posted, this boat on the market for more than 6 years.
Old 14-05-2016, 06:26   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

The last few years have been fairly soft for luxury boats - a lingering aftereffect of the 2008 financial meltdown. So a long period on the market may be more indicative that the owners are willing to wait for the market to bounce back. The valuation of the boat should be based on how much boat you're getting for the money, and what shape it is in, compared to other boats in that particular market segment. You may wish to equate a boat that was designed and built by the owner with a number of innovative features to enhance safety and shorthanded sailing, and then cruised about the Pacific for a number of years by selfsame, to a clapped-out ex-charter boat in Panama - but you would be wrong to do so.

I think when you've actually spent time boat-shopping (and I mean actually seeing the vessels in person, not online) then you will come to understand the wide apparent "discrepancies" in pricing.

A little looking seems to suggest the name Aerocat Canada was simply created for this particular vessel, possibly for legal or financial reasons. The builder however was a professional boatbuilder, who established a successful boatyard that is still operating on Vancouver Is., so I'd say it's fair to call the boat "professionally built" as opposed to "homebuilt".
http://www.multihulldesigns.com/pdf/aero56story2.pdf
Philbrook’s Shipyard
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:01   #53

I've been drooling over Sarabi for years, such a fine layout and easy sailing. But decided to have my own built instead. Still waiting..

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 12:40   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The valuation of the boat should be based on how much boat you're getting for the money, and what shape it is in, compared to other boats in that particular market segment.
Unless buyer is very rich, one of main consideration points, in my opinion, should be resale value and probability of resale.
Thanks for links, interesting info.
Old 14-05-2016, 13:55   #55

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Unless buyer is very rich, one of main consideration points, in my opinion, should be resale value and probability of resale.
Thanks for links, interesting info.
In my experience, poor people don't buy 56' cats.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 15:19   #56

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

You know, before I bought my one of a kind, weird, biplane rigged, free standing masts catamaran, I spent like a year on here and elsewhere trying to financially justify the purchase of such a unique boat. I'm FAR from rich, and Cat2Fold is the single most expensive thing I've ever bought. It came down to this...
Purchasing a boat is an emotional thing. You either HAVE to have the boat, or not. Simple as that.
Fast forward 5 years... I'm just finishing up my fifth winter (5-6 months at a whack) cruising western Mexico. Best thing I've ever done in my life! And Cat2Fold was the first boat I've ever owned! If somehow, the gods took her from me right now with no return on my "investment", I would still feel like it was THE best thing I've ever done.
I am a HUGE fan of freestanding masts!
If I had the coin, which I don't because I go cruising instead of working, I would seriously look at this boat.
Anyhow...my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 16:02   #57

Things look different when you have 10K in your pocket or 100K or 1 million. At 10K it can be emotional purchase for sure. At 100K - less likely, but still possible. And guys, who managed to make and been able to spend 1M for recreation purposes, are rarely romantics (unless they won lottery). Capitalism kills romantics. Partial proof of that - there are many v-blogs of cheaper s/v on You tube, happy people sharing their experience. No so with cats $700K+. I'm not aware of any v-blog with these.

I'm also fan of unusual things (wingsail, aerorig, hybrid propulsion etc., but not to the point when I would spend 500K-1M knowing in the beginning that this is not recoverable spending at all. Now, if I had 50M in my pocket, things would look different, of course. But then most likely I would be looking at different boats altogether, right? I probably would be in place of owner of this boat - had my own dream boat built to my crazy dream specs, with wingsail, hybrid propulsion and huge solar setup, than sail on it for a while, and then stuck with it been unable to sell it .
Old 14-05-2016, 16:07   #58

Wow.....
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:26   #59

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I dont see any justification for that price,,, not even the rig who make me nervous or the corecell in the hull or the carbon in the beams, not even the size, could be a fantastic multi but i think you have better and cheaper options out there, the service support is very good when you have serious problems and honestly i cant imagine the pain in the ass to ask for a new rig if this thing decide to fall down....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:12   #60

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I dont see any justification for that price,,, not even the rig who make me nervous or the corecell in the hull or the carbon in the beams, not even the size, could be a fantastic multi but i think you have better and cheaper options out there, the service support is very good when you have serious problems and honestly i cant imagine the pain in the ass to ask for a new rig if this thing decide to fall down....

You know I agree with you about the price, but to assume that the rig would fall down is ludacris. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to properly design a cantilevered beam without breaking. I personally have over 15,000 miles on my cat with two freestanding masts. No breakage yet!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, Hughes, sale