Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-05-2016, 19:43   #31

Re: Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Hey, I'm not saying anything bad about quality of this boat. It might be great. And I'm not saying that Lagoon is best of the best . I've pointed that according to statistics (there are not many serious structural and quality concerns with Lagoon I'm aware of) overall quality of Lagoons should be somewhat acceptable, at least

But the truth is this unique boat not going to sell ANYWHERE close to asking price regardless its quality. It's seller's choice so we can only watch.

Old 12-05-2016, 20:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You are out of your mind if you think a professionally-built custom boat is equivalent to a home-built boat. Every single mega-yacht is a custom build - do you think you should be able to buy Maltese Falcon for $200K?

You need to source parts or make repairs on any boat, and you're on your own. And sometimes parts are discontinued or companies fold - but it's always possible to find a suitable replacement - if not for the part, then for the system. There are plenty of places that make custom glass, and plenty that can fix carbon spars. Your arguments are ludicrous.
"Professionally-built custom boat" - that's when boat built by reputable well known for LONG time company, which does just that (building the boats). I couldn't find any information about Canada-based company which built this cat.

About DIY - sure that's way to go. But how many DIYourselfers have extra $750K to give away? I bet not too many. Asking marina to fix it? Sure, many of them will be happy to help you with custom repairs, refitment and custom parts manufacturing Just prepare to count digits on the bill

Common, folks, this is unique boat, but it's not a luxury boat, not hi-performance racer, not a piece of history (unlike, for example, wingsail "Larinka"). What could be the motivation to buy such boat instead of modern luxury equipped cruiser?!

Old 12-05-2016, 20:26   #33
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote: Common, folks, this is unique boat, but it's not a luxury boat, not hi-performance racer, not a piece of history (unlike, for example, wingsail "Larinka"). What could be the motivation to buy such boat instead of modern luxury equipped cruiser? :end quote
You missed one....maybe it's quality.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-05-2016, 20:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You missed one....maybe it's quality.
$500K on top for the build quality??? Wow, now that's nice markup!
Quality of what? 15 years old and outdated cabinetry? Totally outdated electronics as seen on pictures? 15 years old engines? In fact, there's no word about ANY mechanical systems been upgraded recently. Ok, MAYBE, hull is very high quality. Is there any way that seller can proof that this hull is stronger than Lagoon 560 hull? No. Is this unproofed "feature" worth 500K? Hell no!

Don't get me wrong. I just realistically see it from buyer's point of view. Believe me, when you're about to spend that much money, you're VERY careful.
Old 12-05-2016, 20:45   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
"Professionally-built custom boat" - that's when boat built by reputable well known for LONG time company, which does just that (building the boats). I couldn't find any information about Canada-based company which built this cat.
I've never heard of Aerocat either, but that doesn't mean it never existed. The last few years have been hard on boatbuilders in Canada - PDQ went under during this boat's lifetime. If you were actually serious about this boat, more info about the builder could probably be determined, and if not, a visual inspection and survey would determine the state of the boat, which would be a pretty good indication of build quality. Right now you seem to be cloud shopping - expecting someone else to eat a half-million dollar loss to sell you a brand new boat for next to nothing. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 20:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Right now you seem to be cloud shopping - expecting someone else to eat a half-million dollar loss to sell you a brand new boat for next to nothing. Good luck.
I'm not expecting anything, I just showed interesting boat and my opinion on it. I'm personally waiting when prices on Lagoon 560 or FP Sanya 57 will come down a bit, and they will, believe me! . There's good chance that this cat will be still on the market by then . Where did you see brand new boat in this discussion anyway?
Old 12-05-2016, 21:06   #37
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Quote:
Quality of what? 15 years old and outdated cabinetry? Totally outdated electronics as seen on pictures? 15 years old engines? In fact, there's no word about ANY mechanical systems been upgraded recently. Ok, MAYBE, hull is very high quality. Is there any way that seller can proof that this hull is stronger than Lagoon 560 hull? No. Is this unproofed "feature" worth 500K? Hell no!

Don't get me wrong. I just realistically see it from buyer's point of view. Believe me, when you're about to spend that much money, you're VERY careful.

I understand, since this is a custom one of so the selling price probably won't be as high as one of the top three charter cat manufacturers, but it wouldn't be hard to beat their quality.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-05-2016, 21:07   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
$500K on top of what? A value you've arbitrarily plucked out of your dreams?

OK so YOU think the boat is only worth $200k. Sadly for you, that doesn't make it reality.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 21:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
$500K on top of what? A value you've arbitrarily plucked out of your dreams?

OK so YOU think the boat is only worth $200k. Sadly for you, that doesn't make it reality.
This is not my dream by any means. And the only dreamer in all of this - the seller, who will never sell that boat anywhere close to asking price. I might be new to boating, but I'm perfect at pricing, buying and selling things I already mentioned real recent sales of boats this size and age. If you think that this boat worth twice as much - good for you, go buy it Before this will get harsh I suggest to close this discussion. You don't like my opinion? That's fine, but it's based on facts, few months of research and things I actually see on pictures, not on some strange assumptions that this is "unbelievable quality built boat in better than new condition".
Situation when someone is trying to sell VCR on garage sale for $350 because "it's very high quality item, like new and he paid $700 for it" exactly describes this.
Old 12-05-2016, 21:29   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So you haven't even seen the boat, but you think your $200k valuation is fact.

John McEnroe
Old 12-05-2016, 21:41   #41

I'm not saying it's a fact. I'm saying that this price (50-60% of comparable production boat) would attract buyers enough so they would spend time and money, fly over to check it out in person and than make decisions. At current price (or at $500K, no matter) most potential buyers wouldn't even move their ass on the chair because it's totally unknown, old, with outdated equipment. And it has unusual Aerorig which let's face it, scares most people (even here, on forum). Are they waiting for local buyer who will appreciate its uniqueness and quality? Well, let's wish much luck to the seller.
Old 12-05-2016, 21:48   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A comparable production boat doesn't simply mean one of similar length.

A comparable boat may not be a Lagoon. It may be an Outremer, or a Gunboat.

John McEnroe
Old 12-05-2016, 22:02   #43

Not so much. I don't think there are any Gunboats of that age on the market, and Outremer is very well known for building performance boats, so it has its own fans. But even then, if you start looking... Here you go, Outremer of similar vintage and size, $340K listed price...
Outremer (FR) Outremer 50S+ Used Boat for Sale 2001 | TheYachtMarket

Much newer Outremer 55 (2009) at $430K...
Outremer 55 Used Boat for Sale 2009 | TheYachtMarket

Another 55 (2008) at $405K
Outremer (FR) Outremer 55S Used Boat for Sale 2008 | TheYachtMarket

And remember - all these prices - that's where you START negotiating.

Actually, looking at these Outremers made me laugh I think even my estimated price of $200K for that boat is too optimistic It's nice boat though.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:37   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think it's been for sale for a couple of years.
Possibly closer to six years. I think it may have been touted as for sale, as early as 2010. Kurt may have mentioned it in his blog around then.

If so, it appears the market has spoken, and its way over priced.

Now if it had a proper rig on it ,then it could be a different story all together.
Old 13-05-2016, 06:02   #45

Boat: Switch 51

Go get a Lagoon already and stop slagging off this pretty nice boat.

Tags
for sale, Hughes, sale

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: