Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 08:46   #16

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Another "Best Cat" thread with a twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
You said no budget. .go for the 90ft gunboat available now. Start your trip in the next month.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Can one manage the 90ft Gunboat with only 2 people?
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:23   #17

Boat: Catana 471

I'm fortunate to have the (almost) perfect cat for me and the Admiral that we've already cruised extensively. This doesn't mean it would be the best or even just good for anyone else. There are no second or third choices for us.

To make it "mo better" and if $$ were no constraint, I'd replace the original "load center" style DC electrical distribution system with an updated system with spare parts available, add the originally optional skeg in front of the sail drives, and maybe replace my soft top bimini with a hard top.

With an unlimited budget going forward I'd replace the sails with the sexiest materials available for performance. Get a carbon boom and front cross beam. Replace my electronics when desirable improvements become available.

To quibble a bit with the choice "criteria", with an unlimited budget some may choose NOT to perform their own maintenance. We consider the care and feeding of our boat as part of the overall enjoyment package, but would not embrace the thought of, for example, removing and re-installing any larger mainsail, painting any more surface area of bottom paint, nor maintaining any more gel coat. So for us there is an upper limit to size that is more constraining than just being able to sail the boat as a couple.

2 Hulls Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	92384  
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:32   #18

Thanks Two Hull Dave, Great input!
Old 26-11-2014, 10:00   #19
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
Do you think 90-feet are too much for two? Then try to recall 139-ft 3-masted "Friday,13", built in 1972 for single-handed Transatlantic race of Jean-Yves Terlain.

Indeed, size does not mater that much, provided the boat is duly equipped and the crew onboard is enough experienced.

++

With regard to the BEST CAT I can only say that it should be custom built to my demands. 57-feet will be fine for me (project details can be sent to You privately upon request and if You have "unlimited" budget!)
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:03   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Yes.
But would you want to?

I dont. I would downsize considerably.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:16   #21

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Moxi 61,pretty cool;
MoxieYachts

Ocean explorer 60;
Ocean Quality Systems Oy | The Future of Naval Engineering

I'll have both.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:17   #22

for me. it would be a gb 55 ,easy on the eyes, protected helm, managed by two easily,powered winches , don't know if a galley up option is preferable to the down version but both are super cool IMO.
R
rmw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw2007 View Post
for me. it would be a gb 55 ,easy on the eyes, protected helm, managed by two easily,powered winches , don't know if a galley up option is preferable to the down version but both are super cool IMO.
R
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the GB. And the use the best music in all of their videos, which of course to me it means they are the best cat anyone could buy

Although I have to say... I don't know how I feel about the inside helm. In every video I watch the helmsman always looks like he/she rather be outside and that the inside windows, walls, ceiling are on his/her way (sticking head out of windows all the time, positioning body 1/2 outside the door, etc). Yet again, since this is a no budget proposition, I'm sure GB would be glad to put the helm where ever I want it.
Old 26-11-2014, 10:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
This one has the best bathroom tile, so I'm sold!
Old 26-11-2014, 11:15   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I kinda like the St. Francis 50. Maybe because we know a couple who came through here circumnavigating on one, and we spent some time aboard. Didn't sail it. Sure liked it.
Have been on another St. Francis 50, and dang if I didn't like that one, too.
Old 26-11-2014, 11:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I kinda like the St. Francis 50. Maybe because we know a couple who came through here circumnavigating on one, and we spent some time aboard. Didn't sail it. Sure liked it.
Have been on another St. Francis 50, and dang if I didn't like that one, too.
I like the outside of the St. Francis 50, but the inside is way too old school for my taste. It's even more old school than the Antares, which makes me feel like I'm already living in a condo in Sarasota :-). I'll stick to the GunBoat, which looks like a Ferrari.
Old 26-11-2014, 13:31   #27
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I'm fortunate to have the (almost) perfect cat for me and the Admiral that we've already cruised extensively. This doesn't mean it would be the best or even just good for anyone else. There are no second or third choices for us.

To make it "mo better" and if $$ were no constraint, I'd replace the original "load center" style DC electrical distribution system with an updated system with spare parts available, add the originally optional skeg in front of the sail drives, and maybe replace my soft top bimini with a hard top.

With an unlimited budget going forward I'd replace the sails with the sexiest materials available for performance. Get a carbon boom and front cross beam. Replace my electronics when desirable improvements become available.

To quibble a bit with the choice "criteria", with an unlimited budget some may choose NOT to perform their own maintenance. We consider the care and feeding of our boat as part of the overall enjoyment package, but would not embrace the thought of, for example, removing and re-installing any larger mainsail, painting any more surface area of bottom paint, nor maintaining any more gel coat. So for us there is an upper limit to size that is more constraining than just being able to sail the boat as a couple.

2 Hulls Dave
Lotsa good stuff there from Dave...and we're particularly happy to join him and echo (albeit with a different vessel) that we too feel "fortunate to have the (almost) perfect cat for me and the Admiral that we've already cruised extensively. This doesn't mean it would be the best or even just good for anyone else. There are no second or third choices for us."

Our own further contributions/modifications would be...
  • We prefer the L440 over the L450 due to a better layout for our purposes, e.g. a 'utility'/serving sink (and what seems like surprisingly more room, perhaps due to only one set of exit stairs?) in the aft cockpit & the starboard-side nav station in the saloon.
  • We would NOT embrace the hardtop bimini. We started plans in that direction, but now find most of our sailing is without any bimini at all (which allows for both better vision of the sails and the horizon and a great spot to star gaze when night sailing...altho we hasten to add we hav a strong preference to avoid high latitudes ) and access to the boom seems for us better assisted by easing the topping lift, instead of climbing up onto a bimini.
With no budget constraints we'd love new sails and updating electronics, but for the optimal combination of layout, comfort and good sailing while still be easily managed by two people, we're v happy to stick with our beloved CatNirvana L440!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMocha View Post

I'd like a genset, some heating, maybe some cooling. Scuba equipment with compressor.
I would want to have 2 large heads instead of 4 small. 2 cabins instead of 4. Lots of storage, a room with a workbench.
That would do me quite nicely But so would the 90 gunboat
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:13   #29

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
1. You have no budget constraints. Assume you can pay cash for ANY boat. Assume whatever it costs, it does not affect your savings one bit. So take money completely out of the equation. ...
- Antares 44i with a more modern interior so it doesn't look like my grandma's cottage.
- Lagoon 450 with some sort of custom-made retractable hard and enclosed bimini for the fly bridge (like the ones that come with new expensive convertibles cars)

How about you?

I find perplexing that you have all the money you want and will want to have a Lagoon...that on the world of cats corresponds to a Beneteau or a Antares???!!!

What about boats to really enjoy live with quality?

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:16   #30

I agree that an inside helm may seem like a good idea in certain circumstances but not as an "only" option. I think we all prefer sailing in nice weather and to be stuck inside, well, might as well stay home and watch TV. Two helm stations is the perfect setup and if you're talking 50' plus, you're not going to miss the space taken by the second helm.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote