Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 09:57   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Annapolis!

Just booked my trip! Can't wait to go. Anyone else going? Any tips for surviving the crowds?

BTW.. sorry I haven't been around much... been spending most of my summer on my sailboat.. learning to sail!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Annapolis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Just booked my trip! Can't wait to go. Anyone else going? Any tips for surviving the crowds?

BTW.. sorry I haven't been around much... been spending most of my summer on my sailboat.. learning to sail!
....boat or land cruising? Either way, most of the best of Annapolis is in a center walkable area. The public transportation excels. We usually spend our time on a mooring and without a car, but if I was with a car I think I'd find it best not to try and drive or park at the town center area.
Old 14-08-2014, 10:09   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Are you talking about the boat show, or are you coming at another time? If you're coming during the boat show and want to avoid the crowds, consider going during the VIP day, which is the day before general admission. It costs more but it's worth it if you don't want to wrangle with the mob. That said, if you're looking for great deals, those usually come during the last day...vendors want to transport as little as possible back with them, and service providers (riggers, power, etc) are looking to hit quota or squeeze in a few more deals.

Coming by boat? Consider anchoring in Back Creek. Usually plenty of room and it's a 10 minute dinghy ride to the show. Annapolis has @ 10 public dinghy docks so you can pretty much get close to wherever you want to go.

If you're coming at any other time, the crowds in "downtown downtown" are obviously worse on the weekends. The rest of the time it's pretty normal.

One thing I tell everyone to do is visit the Naval History Museum on the Academy grounds, if only for the basement which has an amazing exhibit of hundreds of antique ship models. Exceptionally cool.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:10   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I assume you're talking about the sailboat show too...

If you want to avoid the crowds, go to the VIP day on Thursday. Monday is also relatively slow. Rain and/or cold will dampen crowds too. Whichever day you go, get there right as the gates open in the morning. Go aboard the boats first before you saddle yourself with a lot of items/swag from the vendor tents. The boats are also less crowded early before all the non-sailors just looking for something to do on a weekend show up. If you're planning to buy gear from vendors, do some pricing research first as a lot of the "show special" prices are not as spectacular as you'd like. If you stay until Monday don't miss the breakdown party on the roof deck at Pussers where you can watch all the boats depart in a matter of minutes.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
....boat or land cruising? Either way, most of the best of Annapolis is in a center walkable area. The public transportation excels. We usually spend our time on a mooring and without a car, but if I was with a car I think I'd find it best not to try and drive or park at the town center area.
We are staying at a hotel in Baltimore.. so, we will drive in everyday... I know.. parking is going to suck..
Old 14-08-2014, 10:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I didn't even consider the Boat Show! I went to the boat show in 1971, bought a boat, then never went to another boat show!
Old 14-08-2014, 10:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Are you talking about the boat show, or are you coming at another time? If you're coming during the boat show and want to avoid the crowds, consider going during the VIP day, which is the day before general admission. It costs more but it's worth it if you don't want to wrangle with the mob. That said, if you're looking for great deals, those usually come during the last day...vendors want to transport as little as possible back with them, and service providers (riggers, power, etc) are looking to hit quota or squeeze in a few more deals.

Coming by boat? Consider anchoring in Back Creek. Usually plenty of room and it's a 10 minute dinghy ride to the show. Annapolis has @ 10 public dinghy docks so you can pretty much get close to wherever you want to go.

If you're coming at any other time, the crowds in "downtown downtown" are obviously worse on the weekends. The rest of the time it's pretty normal.

One thing I tell everyone to do is visit the Naval History Museum on the Academy grounds, if only for the basement which has an amazing exhibit of hundreds of antique ship models. Exceptionally cool.
We are definitely doing the VIP day! we did that in Miami and it was totally worth it. So.. that will be our big on the boat day! Thank you so much for the tip about the naval history museum. My husband is in the military and he will go NUTS there! he loves that kind of stuff..
Old 14-08-2014, 10:15   #8

[QUOTE=4arch;1605931]I assume you're talking about the sailboat show too...

If you want to avoid the crowds, go to the VIP day on Thursday. Monday is also relatively slow. Rain and/or cold will dampen crowds too. Whichever day you go, get there right as the gates open in the morning. QUOTE]

Duly noted! Get There EARLY!!!
Old 14-08-2014, 10:17   #9

Parking really isn't that bad.
Old 14-08-2014, 10:18   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
We are staying at a hotel in Baltimore.. so, we will drive in everyday... I know.. parking is going to suck..
Consider parking at one of the marinas on Back Creek and taking the water taxi around to Spa Creek. I think it's $5/person each way. Otherwise you're going to have to pay to park and STILL walk a mile.

Outside of the boat show parking is not a really a problem except at the height of the season on weekends.

Forgot to mention, if you're in the market for any Weems & Plath stuff, hit up their tent on the Eastport side of Spa Creek. It's loaded with slightly dinged stuff and overstock at huge discounts.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:25   #11

Or they could park at the school in Eastport just across the Spa Creek bridge for the same 20 bucks. I've usually arrived in town around 8 AM and not had a problem finding free street parking either in Annapolis proper or Eastport within reasonable walking distance of the show gates. You just have to watch the parking restriction signs and find an area on the side streets where it's OK to stay all day.
Old 14-08-2014, 10:25   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:

Haven't been for many years but we always stayed in Baltimore and drove into the parking area in the outskirts of Annapolis and took the shuttle bus in. Does anyone know if this is still possible?
Old 14-08-2014, 10:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Haven't been for many years but we always stayed in Baltimore and drove into the parking area in the outskirts of Annapolis and took the shuttle bus in. Does anyone know if this is still possible?
that's sort of what we were planning on doing...
Old 14-08-2014, 10:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, I just personally find it more of a hassle than parking in town. The cost is $10. The shuttle only runs til an hour after show close so if you want to stay in town for dinner you have to repark or find an alternate way to get back to your car.
Old 14-08-2014, 10:37   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Yes, I just personally find it more of a hassle than parking in town. The cost is $10. The shuttle only runs til an hour after show close so if you want to stay in town for dinner you have to repark or find an alternate way to get back to your car.

Dinner's better in Baltimore and it's not as crowded so no waiting for a table.

Tags
annapolis