Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 22:46   #16

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Re: Anchors & Multihulls

I've got a Fortuna Island Spirit 400 with the anchor chain locker at the bridge deck and the anchor stowed on the solid central walkway just forward of the bridge deck. I have a 32Kg Rocna, but our arrangement will take any size Rocna. Doors in the walkway allow handling, cleaning, etc. I like having all the weight centrally located.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:31   #17

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
I've got a Fortuna Island Spirit 400 with the anchor chain locker at the bridge deck and the anchor stowed on the solid central walkway just forward of the bridge deck. I have a 32Kg Rocna, but our arrangement will take any size Rocna. Doors in the walkway allow handling, cleaning, etc. I like having all the weight centrally located.

32kg Rocna on a 40' cat? That's HUGE! I only use a 10kg Rocna w/35' of chain on my 36' cat!
And, fwiw, I don't have a front beam. I have to anchor off the bow. I love this set up, because I almost always anchor under sail while sailing downwind. I find it the best way to get a good set under sail.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:47   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
32kg Rocna on a 40' cat? That's HUGE! I only use a 10kg Rocna w/35' of chain on my 36' cat!
It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it right! And I doubt that the additional 45 pounds of weight is going to cause any cat to suffer performance.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:57   #19

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it right! And I doubt that the additional 45 pounds of weight is going to cause any cat to suffer performance.

Agreed. However, I lift my anchor by hand. Can you lift a 32kg anchor with chain by hand? How much does a windlass weigh and all its wiring, and the battery capacity needed, and the charging needed, etc... How much does all that stuff weigh?
Different courses for different horses.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:09   #20

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Thanks to all who have posted. I knew it wasn't a deal breaker, after sailing a Mahe 36 last month I was curious when I saw the other designs at Miami. Glad to see I needn't worry about the "slap" I envisaged... I'm now just waiting to see if anyone has a response to Tuskie's problem of the boat sailing up the anchor and causing the bridle to push against the prodder stays... I know I'm a novice but I'm struggling to envisage how this would happen :-s
Heath68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Thanks to all who have posted. I knew it wasn't a deal breaker, after sailing a Mahe 36 last month I was curious when I saw the other designs at Miami. Glad to see I needn't worry about the "slap" I envisaged... I'm now just waiting to see if anyone has a response to Tuskie's problem of the boat sailing up the anchor and causing the bridle to push against the prodder stays... I know I'm a novice but I'm struggling to envisage how this would happen :-s
Wind against tide. The current holds the boat with it's stern to the wind, the wind drives the boat forward.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
No matter where the anchor is located, I believe in retaining it without constant chain tension on the anchor windlass. Not good for a long lived windlass.
I can't see how keeping the chain lightly tensioned would shorten the life of the windlass.

John McEnroe
Old 25-02-2016, 13:54   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

anchor at the forebeam is a bit easier in windy conditions while anchor at bridgedeck is better for weight distribution. An oversized anchor doesn't do that much harm then.

I prefer the anchor at the forebeam but have anchor at bridgedeck instead. so it's not a deal breaker.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:39   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Under the bridgedeck moves the weight off the bow and keeps the chain in the locker where it belongs.

If you can't clean or inspect the anchor when it's under the bridgedeck then you have the wrong net. How can it be hard to clean? The wash down hose is 2' away in the chain locker? Inspect it? You can sit on it!

If you have a problem with the chain dragging on the hull in the wind, then you are doing it wrong. Yep, when it's windy, it's a 2 person task.
Yes, and no....

1. Washdown hose works with sand but not with sticky clay. A scraper is required.

2. Nothing should be a 2-person job, IMHO. I like to sail alone, and my wife likes to sleep in; why should I bother her?

3. Rigging a long snubber or second anchor will be more trouble.

I get that it solves certain problems. But it does create new ones. I'm on the fence.
Old 25-02-2016, 14:45   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

I'm now just waiting to see if anyone has a response to Tuskie's problem of the boat sailing up the anchor and causing the bridle to push against the prodder stays... I know I'm a novice but I'm struggling to envisage how this would happen :-s[/QUOTE]

It doesn't worry me, in fact I find it kinda reassuring on a windy night to know that we are still well dug in
Old 25-02-2016, 14:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I can't see how keeping the chain lightly tensioned would shorten the life of the windlass.
Other than chain weight, how do you accomplish that? Not by using the windlass to pull the boat forward, I assume.

I've always just put some manner of replaceable anti-chafe under the chain path. Easy. The prior owner used towels, which was mental.
Old 25-02-2016, 15:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Other than chain weight, how do you accomplish that? Not by using the windlass to pull the boat forward, I assume.

I've always just put some manner of replaceable anti-chafe under the chain path. Easy. The prior owner used towels, which was mental.
This isn't for when the anchor is down, but when it's raised. We keep the chain from flailing around while sailing by keeping some tension on it.

Flailing around at anchor - never experienced that. I think we'd move long before that happened.

I simply cut open some rectangular PVC down-pipe, and glued that to the catwalk for chafe protection. It also does an OK job of keeping mud from spreading too far.

John McEnroe
Old 25-02-2016, 21:13   #28

Quote:
The other way around. Lots of constant tension on an anchor windlass is not good for them, particularly shock loads. It can prematurely wreck the bearings and seals to the motor, especially vertical windlasses with undermounted motors. One of the reasons we use snubbers or bridles when the anchor is down. When the anchor is up, whether on the forebeam or into the bridge deck, it can't be good to have that weight retained by the windlass, particularly when owners feel the need to use 72 lb anchors on 40 foot cats.
IMHO the best recipe for a long lived windlass is to motor forward when weighing anchor, use the windlass to retrieve, secure the anchor in place by some other means, then release the tension on the windlass. The chain doesn't have to be too loose, just not under high tension.
Sorry if wasn't too clear.
Considering trailing a small drogue at anchor when we have wind against tide to stop sailing up anchor rode. More of an issue with high windage cats like ours.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 21:21   #29

Quote:
This isn't for when the anchor is down, but when it's raised. We keep the chain from flailing around while sailing by keeping some tension on it.

Flailing around at anchor - never experienced that. I think we'd move long before that happened.
Misunderstood. Obvious now. Me too.
Old 26-02-2016, 04:40   #30

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Wind against tide. The current holds the boat with it's stern to the wind, the wind drives the boat forward.
A pretty rare event but easily enough fixed with dyneema whiskers with a bit of pvc pipe over them.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, hull, multihull