Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 03:25   #1

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"
Anchoring question

We have a 35ft cat with about 18.5ft beam. When we anchor we use a bridle and let out a little more scope than is probably necessary. The issue I have is that the boat will very often ride up over the anchor, especially if the current and wind are not in sync. I've tried using less scope and more scope without much affect. Last evening we anchored out and I watched the rhode very closely. As the boat settled in, it moved forward over the anchor until the anchor was actually behind the boat. Another interesting thing is that the boat likes to sit broadside to the wind..? No daggerboards, just fixed mini keels.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the boat from riding up over the anchor? Or what could be causing it?

All input is appreciated.

MikeF
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 03:55   #2
cruiser

Mike,

I have a 34' cat and have had several monos. Your boat will wherever it wants while at anchor in areas of current and/or wind.

It will back over the anchor, spin in circles and go all over the place.

As long as your boat stays in a reasonable diameter circle, there is nothing to worry about. All boats do this when currents and wind play together to affect the boat at anchor.

Just use the "more scope than is necessary" and have some fun. Forget about it.

BTW: If the wind/current are at play, we sit broadside on occasion too. If the wind really picks up (15 knots plus), you'll find your boat will then point into it regardless of current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeene01 View Post
We have a 35ft cat with about 18.5ft beam. When we anchor we use a bridle and let out a little more scope than is probably necessary. The issue I have is that the boat will very often ride up over the anchor, especially if the current and wind are not in sync. I've tried using less scope and more scope without much affect. Last evening we anchored out and I watched the rhode very closely. As the boat settled in, it moved forward over the anchor until the anchor was actually behind the boat. Another interesting thing is that the boat likes to sit broadside to the wind..? No daggerboards, just fixed mini keels.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the boat from riding up over the anchor? Or what could be causing it?

All input is appreciated.

MikeF
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:00   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Mike, Sean is right about the effect of currents. If they are significant you could try a Bahamian moore - one anchor set forward and one set aft, both off the bow. If you have a backstay (which I suspect you do not), you could also buy a riding sail that is designed to fly off the backstay.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lines-653.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:34   #5

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I pull the boom off center to create a more one-sided load on the anchor, also adjust the rudders to give you this effect. If this isn't enough, let out a bit of the foresail using a barber hauler to get the desired angle of attack without creating forward motion.

When the wind picks up you can revert to normal mode...

Good luck

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 07:36   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I've used Gord's method on a 44' cat, with success. However, I also agree with Sean -- as long as you're riding OK within the circle, there's no need to be concerned about being over the anchor.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 07:43   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 41
What you describe sounds mostly like a wind/current conflict that 'just happens' sometime. As an aside, I've found that mooring off the inboard side of just one bow very often settles my cat down quite nicely. This is especially effective on mooring buoys. The assymetry actually keeps it fairly well balanced and definitely minimizes the hunting back and forth that can happen. Mostly, though I anchor to a bridle and use the one hull method to mooring buoys (however the mood strikes).
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 11:37   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Mike, we've had similar experiences and sometimes the position of the boat seems to defy logic in a wind vs current situation. If you find yourself "sailing around the anchor" a heavy kellet weight will reduce the motion. We use 2ea 15lb barbels tied together and run it down the bridle with a separate retrieval line tied to it. This will "settle the boat down" and reduce the movement. We also use this kellet when we are expecting a blow since it gives a better angle on the rode and gives a little "shock absorber" action when the tension on the rodes tries to lift the kellet.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
If you are experiencing opposing wind and current, choose one to bet on and either drop a drift chute on a bridle at the sterns, or fly a steadying sail from the back stay.

A drift chute is a small parachute used by fishermen. It should have a positive bouyancy to stay off the bottom. A steadying sail is a small triangular flat sail of about 30 square feet which hoists on a backstay; its single sheet ties forward, and puts a CEP well aft. A cat could use two if it has twin backstays, or you could tack it to a cleat and hang it from a halyard. Frequently a bimini does great for this purpose.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 17:42   #10

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll try some of your solutions, especially the "don't worry about it" solution. I'll just make sure the anchor is set well, let out a little more rode and have a sundowner. Pretty sure that with enough empty bottles, I can hang a kellet weight on the bridle.
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 13:08   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think the problem with this situation is that others don't realize that cats wander. They anchor close as if we are another mono, and we just don't lay the same wat as a mono. Try tying off a bucket at the stern. Sometimes this can be of help, because it pulls the stern in line with the current.......SOMETIMES......LOL, or get so close to the beach no one else will come close to you................
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 13:58   #12

a bahamian moor

What you describe is very common in any area with current and wind. When the current is stronger than the wind you point into the current and visa versa. And with strengths of either being variable you can end up pointing around and around. A very big pain in the ass but easily cured.

Drop your primary anchor and fall back off the wind, way way back and drop another anchor. Both anchors from the bow. Now pull yourself back up toward the first anchor to the required scope and secure both rodes at the bow. the idea is to have one anchor up wind and the other up current. This way when the current gets stronger than the wind as it relates to your boats heading the boat will swing and hold with the other anchor instead of doing the big circle. The angle between the two anchor rodes will depend on the relative angle of the wind to the current, but something close to 180 works for lots of situations. IE the anchors are in a straight line with the boats bow in the middle.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 14:14   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The Bahamian moor is good, but sometimes you come in, and everybody is on a single anchor. I have had this happen with only 6 boats in the anchorage. I followed with a single anchor, and had plenty of room to drift around. Left for the day on a dinghy trip, and returned to 20 boats in the anchorage.

When the current switched, and the wind countered all the monos were in line like ducks, but I was sailing all over. I nearly hit a VERY BEAUTIFUL boat. Even though I was there before most, and it was about 10 in the evening. I picked up anchor, and just sailed onto the next anchorage.

I am just happy the current change wasn't at 3am..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 18:05   #14

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
If the current does not change, tide out tide in, ie straight line curents, you can run an anchor off the bow and stern. the anchors and current can hold againt the wind.
Old 29-06-2008, 21:08   #15

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Use a bahamian moore like SOUTHERN STAR said the back anchor will counteract the boats tendency to go over the anchor and the front will keep it from going backwards or you could try bow anchors spread really wide.

Tags
anchor, anchoring