Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 14:12   #1

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Anchoring for a Storm

With Hannah possibly aiming for Charleston, I'd like to hear some opinions on storm anchoring for cats. Let's assume the best that can be done is a river, with no trees to tie to, so just your ground tackle. The river is sandy mud, so pretty good holding, but we can assume the tide will turn and the wind will shift, and I won't be on board.

I have a 66 lb delta on 200' of chain, and a large Fortress, with 30' of chain and 150' of 1 inch line. I've gotten 3 suggestions: attach the Fortress forward of the delta with 15 feet of chain, then put out all of the chain with the delta; try a "Bahamian" moor, with the delta/ chain set to face the biggest predicted wind; put out both sets of tackle, spread at about a 45 degree angle.

One specific question with any multiple tackle set-up: how to set up the bridles so that they don't twist on each other as the boat swings?

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this and I'd like to hear them, but I'm particularly interested in any real world storm experience with a cat. Thanks to all.
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 14:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
With Hannah possibly aiming for Charleston, I'd like to hear some opinions on storm anchoring for cats.
Plant the anchor in Virgina on a short rode. We have one large Cat in the creek right now. They arrived over the weekend.

Assuming you can attach the anchor tight you can't stop the debris that will be flowing and flying. I also would say being in the boat would be not at all safe under any possible scenario.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 15:05   #3

Boat: gozzard 44
It's amazing what difference an "i" makes.

Cheers,
Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 16:52   #4

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
As for anchor, I replaced the Delta with a Rocna 20kg on my Prout 39 and anchoring had improved a whole lot.
Rocna is one of those products that really is too good to be true.(no I dont work for them)
With this anchor, one has to re-learn the anchoring technique: you cannot just drop the anchor and reverse fast, it grabs so quick that it puts massive loads on the winch.

In a storm I put the Rocna down with a bridal, and then I also add a snubber to buffer the loads.

redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 17:39   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I use a variation of something I read by Charles Kanter. I guess star mooring would best describe it. This is my hurricane anchoring system and what I'm about to do here in Florida for Hanna.

Three anchors come to one point. I use a large shackel. At this point a 50 pound kedge is attached, as is my bridal. The bridal is 1 boat width long on each leg and terminates on my bow cleats. I use 3 Fortress anchors as we have sand bottoms here.

Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 17:51   #6

Boat: Bristol 45.5
So, Rick, looks like a good setup. What's the rode of each? Some chain and some rope? How much rode? I assume the idea is that you will basically stay in the same spot, just facing different directions?
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
It's amazing what difference an "i" makes.

Cheers,
Ronbo
Took a while but I got it ;-)

Definitely need permission to anchor there. Short rode, no problem. Got it covered...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 22:23   #8

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Hurricane Mooring System by Colligo Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I use a variation of something I read by Charles Kanter. I guess star mooring would best describe it. This is my hurricane anchoring system and what I'm about to do here in Florida for Hanna.

Three anchors come to one point. I use a large shackel. At this point a 50 pound kedge is attached, as is my bridal. The bridal is 1 boat width long on each leg and terminates on my bow cleats. I use 3 Fortress anchors as we have sand bottoms here.

May wanna check out this product by Colligo Marine. It's pretty clever and uses the same theory with the three anchors 120 degrees apart.

Hurricane Anchor System

Hey Rick, I'm probably gonna stay put in my marina (since I'm on the east side of the ICW) but if you'd like to borrow this setup I have one you can come get. I've yet to test it but it looks solid with all the heavy shackles and super heavy swivel to prevent foul ups. Hopefully Hanna stays offshore and skirts our coast - and the waves get epic after it passes.

Just getting back in the RV from chasing Gustav to Panama City. Surf was pretty heavy on Monday. Cleaner on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WelshK-0809-22053.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4933   Click image for larger version

Name:	WelshK-0809-22097.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	4934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WelshK-0809-22099.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	4935   Click image for larger version

Name:	WelshK-0809-22117.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4936  

SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Thanks Kevin, in looking at the path it seems it may stay off the coast. If it does, I'll stay put as well. Umm..Kevin, you actually surf those monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCatSailor View Post
So, Rick, looks like a good setup. What's the rode of each? Some chain and some rope? How much rode? I assume the idea is that you will basically stay in the same spot, just facing different directions?
This would be boat dependent. Your boat is quite a bit larger, I wouldn't presume to offer opinions on lines. I use all rope and 100' per anchor. I meant to change to chain, but let it move into the backround of my mind and of course, forgot all about it. You are correct, in that your boat will stay put, and notice that the pull on the anchors is pretty much inline with their set.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:30   #10

Boat: searunner 31
Radial storm anchoring.

Good anchor system, Rick.
I remember that article by Kanter.

The radial/star pattern worked well for me in the muddy Lagoon of Sint Maarten when I had to leave the boat for several months. Tucked her into a shallow mangrove nook to keep deep draft draggers from coming down on her.

After several storms she remained unmoved. When I returned, the only surprise was the evidence of a hobo who went through all my canned tuna before moving on.

Good luck SCCAt.

Kit.
cats..paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:33   #11

SCCatsailor,

What have you decided to do?

Kit.
Old 03-09-2008, 14:20   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The main issue I've found with multiple anchors in a bahamian moor or a star formation is you are only riding to one anchor at a time, so each anchor must be capable of withstanding the entire force of the wind. If for instance you were to do a bahamian moor and your delta dragged, you would go backwards over the fortress and flip it and dislodge it as then you would be dragging both backwards. A fluke is a nice anchor for the mud you've got down there, but it can't be counted on resetting unattended as it's very easy for it to pick up a plastic bag or some other debris and be fouled. This is not a hypothetical, it's real 3am hurricane experience. If you can determine which side of the eye you will be on, you will have serious wind only coming from one direction and the tandem anchor will give you a very strong setup. Lay the fortress in the direction of the expect strong prevailing wind with the delta behind it. If you think you will be actually getting a direct hit and the wind will be changing direction, then the three anchor situation makes more sense, but personally I would choose a tandem again. Deltas reset well and quickly, but won't hold as much force as the fluke. In the worst case scenario with a tandem where the wind comes the exact opposite direction from the way you laid down your anchors and the winds were too high for the delta alone, the delta would drag back along towards and then past the fortress, but as the fortress is being pulled backwards and starts in the opposite direction the delta would help keep the fortress down and aid in it resetting which you wouldn't get in a star formation or bahamian moor where the fortress would be on it's own seperate line. Chafe protection will be key and of course you should be off your boat, as there is very little you can do once the winds really start and you'd be very vulnerable to flying debris.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 14:33   #13

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
It looks like the hurricane is going to your east, so the really strong wind will be from the north north/east
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 22:37   #14

radial anchor set.

Hi Schoonerdog,

With respect to my spider/radial pattern, I think the holding power was enhanced by having five legs on the spider so that more than one anchor would be holding at any one time. This was to be a pretty long term storm anchorage.

Two big (really big) anchors facing the major exposure, a big one facing the minor exposure and a medium anchor run out towards each of the two nearest shores. All five spaced about evenly around the circle with 30 or 35 feet of chain apiece and each set really deep.

I see you're in Annapolis. Let's hope that Hanna doesn't get angry when she nears the upper Bay.

Cheers.
Old 03-09-2008, 23:12   #15

I see you're in Annapolis. Let's hope Hanna's not angry when she reaches the upper Bay.

Tags
anchor, anchoring