Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 08:41   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Wouldn't wind shifts increase the swinging with an anchor sail up? Its always been my experience that on a very short term basis that wind shifts are more common than shifts in the direction of the current.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 06:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Wouldn't wind shifts increase the swinging with an anchor sail up?
Sure

and the point of my quote was that if you have a bridle, you don't need an anchor sail, so yes, it's on topic
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:43   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I never said it was not on topic. I was just curious how it would be better. An anchor sail it seems might reduce the boat pivoting on its axis if there are greater forces acting on the boat, but it would not reduce swinging around the anchor.

Which type of movement are we talking about?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:49   #19

Boat: MJM 50 Z
I don't have a cat but my water jet drive has the same problem, very little hull in the water so she sails and will lay to the wind when deep keel boats lay to the curent. My solution that has worked well is to deploy a 4' diameter cone shaped drogue from the corner of the swim platform. The bridle is about 6" from the platform. A little weight at the small end makes the drouge swing without collapsing.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:18   #20

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
H DRS,
Try this before you spend good money on a riding sail.
Hang a drogue (to test this you could tie a large bucket) to your anchor chain just below the waterline.
Hanging a drogue to the aft of a boat will not help you out, but hanging it to the chain will slow the bow down, enabling the stern to catch up and lay aligned with the wind.
Believe me, we had a similar problem with our high freeboard and shallow forefoot sloop and this trick (passed to us in Turkey and not believed by me when first given) really does minimize the hunting around. We now always bend on a drogue when we deploy our anchor.
Try it.
JOHN
Old 26-08-2009, 11:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Are we still on topic? The subject is Anchor or Riding sails - used to correct hunting by some boats when they are at anchor or on a mooring.
We seem to be on topic. There is a reason for hoisting a mizzen to keep riding close to head to wind. Discussing the reason is on topic isn't it ?
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 12:04   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
Have seen a design made US (probably via a sailinganarchy link) that they cal 'delta' and I consider the correct way to do it - the sail is a twin with common luff and split towards the leeches. Only one side works and there is no subpressure on the lee side - effect: it does not work like a sail but rather like the vanes of a windex. The boat is not pushed forward - rather the stern is pushed back in line with the wind. This is what you want. The single sheet sails flown aft DO NOT work - they push the boat forward only making things worse.

2) yes, you can fly the sail from the topping lift - provided it is strong enough and does not stretch (spectra?) - because you will want to make it pretty tight.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 13:08   #23

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Along the same train of thought. As an experiment, I flew a large kite from a stern cleat. The degrees of swing were reduced. However not too practical as the wind can not be counted on to keep it up.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 16:58   #24
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Which type of movement are we talking about?
Might I ask what the point of this is?

If you own a multi, you know that a bridle reduce anchor sailing. It was the reason I asked if they were using one, as I suspected they were not. Each leg of mine is 5/8" double braid and is the width of the boat.

Use the bridle, problem solved.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 05:22   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Use the bridle, problem solved.

This is not always true. Cats will sail, and all the way to the end of the rode in the right conditions in all directions. The first couple of times I left the crowded anchorage. I have since thrown a large bucket off the stern, and that helps dramatically. I am going to try swagmans suggestion off the bridle. Sailing sometimes is an experiemnt.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 06:11   #26

I don't think a cat on a bridle will sail as much as a mono but as the anchor line loads and unloads the boat will surge and can shear. I like Swagmans thoughts on using a drogue on the chain.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor