Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 15:15   #1

anchor chain

My first post so bear with me .....

I was looking at a leopard cat last week and noticed the anchor chain comes off the winch and through the deck just in front of the bridge deck .
i didnt get a real good look at it but ive been thinking it would have an advantage of not having the chain etc. run along the centre of the deck .

Is this a new idea ? or have i had my eyes shut? Is there and disadvantages? , i would emagine there would be a hatch to open to get to the anchor ... Would it affect the way the cat behaved while at anchor?? ,

I am just starting to re furbish the entire front deck /tramp area and sort of like the idea of no chain running down the centre but dot want to do the old mistake of fixing whats not broken .......

john
johnblow666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 16:08   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblow666 View Post

john
Welcome to the forum John

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 21:28   #3

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:

I was looking at a leopard cat last week and noticed the anchor chain comes off the winch and through the deck just in front of the bridge deck .
i didnt get a real good look at it but ive been thinking it would have an advantage of not having the chain etc. run along the centre of the deck .

Is this a new idea ? or have i had my eyes shut? Is there and disadvantages? , i would emagine there would be a hatch to open to get to the anchor ... Would it affect the way the cat behaved while at anchor?? ,

I am just starting to re furbish the entire front deck /tramp area and sort of like the idea of no chain running down the centre but dot want to do the old mistake of fixing whats not broken .......

john
Welcom John!

We've had a little comment on this before here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...deck-4272.html

Hope it helps,

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 11:38   #4

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
As I remember I saw a picture once of a catamaran with huge amount of damage from an anchor chain sawing well into it when the boat turned at anchor and wrapped its keel. It happened very quickly. I would think that with a bridgedeck deployed anchor it would have a much higher chance.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 15:40   #5

thank you

thanks for the replies , i have looked at the previous threads and decided not to use the bridgedeck idea too many pitfalls an only one advantage ... so thankyou again for the help ... this is a very helpfull site and i am thankfull to be a part of it ..

john.
johnblow666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:55   #6

Interesting. Thanks for the link, Mike
anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 08:41   #7

Boat: Fountain-Pajot Tobago 35 "BeeZoo"
Send a message via AIM to AFriden
We own a FP Tobago 35 in which the ancor chain travels over the netting and overboard over the crossbeam. We use a bridal mechanism and have never had a problem in anchoring. The boat swings gently from the center and provides equal strain throughout. We also attach a nylon shock line to the chain the ease the load on the windlass and reduce the chance of dragging the anchor.
AFriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 11:46   #8

Quote:
thanks for the replies , i have looked at the previous threads and decided not to use the bridgedeck idea too many pitfalls an only one advantage ... so thankyou again for the help ... this is a very helpfull site and i am thankfull to be a part of it ..

john.
Just as an added aside, protecting from hull chaff with a bridgedeck anchor is actually a fairly simply task. A cable is run from the lower point of both bows to the center-point of the crossbeam, then the bridles are set in front of said cable. This keeps the anchor rode centered and makes it impossible for the rode to ever come in contact with the hulls. I'll dig up a pic on my computer that'll make it a bit clearer when I get home. This setup works extremely well, and keeps the boat well balanced at anchor with zero stress on the windlass.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 19:55   #9

Ok. This pic should illustrate more clearly what I was trying to explain.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 23:08   #10

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Jaysuz! What kind of cat is that? Talk about minimal bridgedeck clearance
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 03:29   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Cat's anchor via a bridle attached to each hull. Aussiesuede's photo shows one example of this. My boat uses a slightly different arrangement. If the anchor chain runs through the deck at the cabin juncture, this would be a complicated arrangement as it would be difficult to hook the chain onto the bridle. Actually, I can't envision how this could be done quickly, or safely.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 08:35   #12

Cat Anchoring with a bridle

To eliminate chafing using our bridle, we have attached to the line on each side 3/4 in tubing about 3 feet in length. This provides the chailn and bridle from chafing on the hull.
Old 19-04-2009, 09:22   #13
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Right, but how does the chain attach?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 10:31   #14

The blokes at R&C (who build for the Moorings) use a chain-hook. The chain comes up under the compression post with the hook attached, all the way up to the windlass compartment. There you disconnect the hook and stow the bridle "nose" and hook. Probably the best system, IMHO, because the chain doesn't drag through the compression beam, making for a quiter, cleaner and easier system. When you deplay the anchor, all one has to do is let the anchor out to the desired scope, then hook the bridle on and surge some more scope to take the weight on the bridle. The safety argument is spurious, becaus anchoring a cat is super-simple: you've got a prop at two of the possible four courners, so shearing and falling off the wind just doesn't get the better of you!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 11:16   #15

Cat Anchoring with a bridle Pt. 2

After we set the anchor chain to the length we need, usually about 50-75' of chain, the bridle is attached with a heavy duty gavanized snap shackle to the chain. We let out another 5 feet of chain. The snap shackle is attached to 3/4' braided nylon line and is attached to the cleat next to the windlass. The chain is then slacked. All the strain is then on the braided line and allows for give. In three years of using this technique we have only dragged anchor once and that was late one evening when a 60-80 mph storm hit. But again that is another story.

The secret we believe is now using the braided line as a shock absorber to the chain. prevents the rigid chain from pulling the anchor loose with boat motion.

I will send a picture of our setup/

Tags
anchor