Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 19:45   #1

Anchor

Thinking of using a Delta 25kg anchor with 10mm chain as a primary anchor on our 2008 Leopard 46 11/12 tonne sailing cat. Has anyone used this anchor on a similar sized cat?
leopard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 20:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Anchor

Are you insane man? Don't you know to never ask an anchor question on this forum?
The answer is always your anchor is too small, you don't have enough chain and your anchor is the wrong kind.
Oh I see it's your first post. I understand the mistake. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-03-2014, 23:46   #3

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard46 View Post
Thinking of using a Delta 25kg anchor with 10mm chain as a primary anchor on our 2008 Leopard 46 11/12 tonne sailing cat. Has anyone used this anchor on a similar sized cat?
Welcome to the forum.
We have a similar boat - a custom built Leopard 46 which we stretched to 50'. Our original anchor was a 28 Kg Delta which we still have. We later added a complete secondary anchor system together with another windlass and a 40 Kg Delta anchor. You can read the story here: REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world

Anchoring can have serious implications and the last thing you want is your anchor to drag. Despite the mockery from Hopcar, most experienced cruisers will tell you to go for an oversized anchor. We prefer the Rocna anchor, but the arch on this anchor makes it impossible to fit within our anchor arrangement. So we went for the Delta anchor instead and we have no complaints.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 23:49   #4

TBH I do think a 25 kg anchor might be a bit on the light side for a 12 tonne big windage boat like that.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Welcome to the forum.
We have a similar boat - a custom built Leopard 46 which we stretched to 50'. Our original anchor was a 28 Kg Delta which we still have. We later added a complete secondary anchor system together with another windlass and a 40 Kg Delta anchor. You can read the story here: REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world

Anchoring can have serious implications and the last thing you want is your anchor to drag. Despite the mockery from Hopcar, most experienced cruisers will tell you to go for an oversized anchor. We prefer the Rocna anchor, but the arch on this anchor makes it impossible to fit within our anchor arrangement. So we went for the Delta anchor instead and we have no complaints.
Thanks for the replies. We extended our boarding steps by .6m. what did you do to extend to 50'? Are your anchor winches out of under-deck standard position, or where are they?
leopard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Anchor

I would really look at a heavier Delta if I was going to splash out the money. In really high wind conditions something a bit more substantial is needed. Also, make sure that the chain you get is the correct sizing for your windlass chain gypsy. And make sure you add an anchor swivel between the chain and anchor. John.

Nearly forgot, join the Leopard Cat forum on Yahoo Forums - a lot of really good info regarding all the Leopard range of cats.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:28   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I had a 25 kilo Delta on my 56' cat weighing approx. 25 tons and it worked great - in the Caribbean. As soon as we arrived in the Med it started dragging and didn't stop until I replaced it. So, yes, I think you will do fine with the Delta 25 given your size and weight.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Thinking of using a Delta 25kg anchor with 10mm chain as a primary anchor on our 2008 Leopard 46 11/12 tonne sailing cat.
Your anchor is too small, you have undersized chain and your anchor is of wrong kind, of course!

Seriously speaking:

For Your cat (length and weight) even heavier new gen (designed to meet SHHP standard) anchors are generally advised by manufacturers.

You can check Yourself at

Why the Mantus? | Mantus Anchors

Ultra Anchors

Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

and draw Your own conclusions.

The Delta is older generation anchor (HHP), so You need to add about
30 % of weight to have similar holding power.

And please remember - the sizing chart for Delta is some kind of a mystery - using it You will often choose anchor heavily undersized even for lunch hook use

And one thing more - it is Your choice of course, but why go for older generation product, when You can obtain new generation?
Of course, You can have Your reasons to do it

By the way, Your chain choice does not look undersized...
Sooo strange!

Cheers!

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:02   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. We extended our boarding steps by .6m. what did you do to extend to 50'? Are your anchor winches out of under-deck standard position, or where are they?
We added 1' to the saloon length and extended the transoms by 2'. I am glad we did this right from the very start of building the yacht. Besides this, we made many other changes - just about the entire upper deck, coach roof, dive platform, transom step, etc. are modified.

We have 2 x Lewmar windlasses below the front deck. The anchors are just in front of this under the two center struts - not at the front of the crossbeam. Unfortunately for us, there is a height restriction with this arrangement and thus the Rocna anchors cannot fit here.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:41   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Without getting into a discussion of anchor brands, I also think that a 25kg delta is a little too small as a primary anchor for your boat. I have a 25 kg delta and a 20 kg CQR plus a fortress on my 40 foot cat (which is not only lighter, but has much lower freeboard and windage than your boat) and consider that barely adequate.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27   #11

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Are you insane man? Don't you know to never ask an anchor question on this forum?
The answer is always your anchor is too small, you don't have enough chain and your anchor is the wrong kind.
Oh I see it's your first post. I understand the mistake. Welcome aboard!

God, I love you guys!!!!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:30   #12

I have an anchor question... I hope it's ok to pop in.

I've been looking at the Antares 44i.. and they have an interesting anchor set up. They call it a "bridle".. which creates a lower center of pull.. .i thought it was interesting. Has anyone had any experience with this? and does it make any difference?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

You always want a bridle arrangement on a cat.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
You always want a bridle arrangement on a cat.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Do all Cats have that kind of configuration? I guess I never noticed it until I looked at Antares.
Old 06-03-2014, 13:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Do all Cats have that kind of configuration? I guess I never noticed it until I looked at Antares.
All the cats that I have seen do have bridles and I have seen plenty of them.

Tags
anchor