Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2006, 14:06   #1

Anc horing multis

I am going to charter a 43ft cat in the Grenadines this summer - my first time on a multi bigger than a Hobie! I've driven twi engine powerboats so I'm not worried about boat handling, but I hear catamarans like to sail around when they're anchored. Can you tell me what's the best anchoring technique for a multihull? Any pointers re right/wrong way to go about it?
kiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 18:52   #2
Kai Nui

I am also curious about this. I am going to be setting up my ground tacke for the tri pretty soon, and I would like to hear suggestions. I too have never anchored on a multi, but am looking forward to the stability. I tend to spend allot of time in rolly anchorages. Does a stern anchor work well with a multi hull? is there any benefit to adding a bridle to one of the ammas?
Talbot, What are your views?
Old 20-01-2006, 19:28   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 38 - Limerick
I have had a 38' catamaran for just about a year with only a little anchoring - but from my experience and what I have read - you should have a bridle. It keeps the boat from sailing at anchor and just seems to settle the boat down. I have not tried anchoring straight from the windlass, amidships, or from either hull.
I did notice that if the wind is light the boat likes to drift around into the trough, so you might think about a small stern anchor, that I am sure could just be from one hull.
Have a great vacation!

Bill
San Diego

Bill
Bill Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 20:19   #4

I've anchored my 36' catamaran extensively, in the last 8 years. and I always bridle, no matter how short the stay. I set the anchor from one hull, then form a bridle by taking a line from the other hull and tying a rolling hitch to the anchor line. I then let out some anchor line until the pull is from the center. I sometimes sail around in thunderstoms, but most of the time I swing with all the other anchored boats. Stern anchors don't let you swing. When anchored like this, most cats are like a rock. You feel like you're on land.

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 03:26   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
multi's benefit from a decent weight of cable - not just a heavy anchor. I use 3/8" when the spec is 5/16" or less. I find that dampens the sailing around significantly and also is a major help in preventing anchor breakout on tide change.

However the extra weight of cable (or an anchor chump i.e. a weight attached to the cable) is not the total answer. A bridle will help enormously, especially if the cat is a wide one. You have two choices, you can set the bridle up so that you are lying directly behind it, or you can offset somewhat so any movement will be in one direction only. But dont forget that your bridle is going to be susceptible to chafe. On my catalac I normally dont bother with a bridle unless in a really confined anchorage, hopefully before you see the look of anquish on the face of somebody who has anchored after you and too close for a cats characteristics!
Old 21-01-2006, 04:38   #6

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
I'll second Marc's suggestion to ALWAYS use a bridle. On our current cat, we have pad eyes through-bolted on the bows for attaching bridle lines. Once the anchor is set, we attach the bridles and let out a bit more scope. Works every time.

But for boats that don't have pad eyes, Marc's arrangement works very well.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 06:10   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 - Mama Cocha
kiteboy,

if you are chartering the cat will come with a decent anchor/chain setup as well as a pre rigged bridle. Some cats have the anchor dropping from the locker, others from a roller on the cross beam (my preference).
In the Grenadines the holding is very good at most anchorages (NOT Union), however do be careful to let out enough scope while in the Tobago Cays as you may have some high winds when a wave roars through in the summer (we had 40 kts one night) and no protection whatsoever. We typically let out 5 to 1 with all chain in most anchorages and a bit more in the Cays. Another funky anchorage is between PSV and Petite Martinique as the wind funnels thrugh the 2 islands.
PapaCocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 03:29   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Not surprised that people with large/modern cats say they always use a bridle. My Catalac is quite narrow and thus is not so necessary. The width of a modern cat especially a big one would demand the use of the bridle every time due to the turning moment caused by that extra width.