Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 21:32   #31

buying overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermike66 View Post
Am I crazy or is it cheaper to buy a Cat in Europe and sail it back to the US? Can I save money buy doing this?
Thanks for any advice!
Cheers!
a friend bought a cat in capetown and shipped in back and it still came out over 20% cheaper. It arrived in Ft lauderdale six months ago. And he's got the money to do the research. The longest part was waiting till they had enough new boats to fit on the special barge ship. the photo's are awesome how they shipped it. His boat and twenty others where floated on the ship lifted and then the braces welded into place. But this yachty has everything and then some. He can even get TV stations from his home country while he is in port right here.

Next time I'm going to be born with money instead of good looks!
solosailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 02:25   #32

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it is worth re-emphasizing again. Our wiring over here is 230V so it only carries HALF the current of USA wiring for the same power rating and all our plug sockets will be different as well.

Try and get a boat with as little AC wiring as possible or I imagine that a lot of the savings you anticipate will vanish.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 02:55   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
. Our wiring over here is 230V so it only carries HALF the current of USA wiring for the same power rating and all our plug sockets will be different as well.

Try and get a boat with as little AC wiring as possible or I imagine that a lot of the savings you anticipate will vanish.
My belief is the wire used is the same for 230/240 and 110. All production boats for the world market use the same grid for 110 v as 230/240v. Its more economical than having 2 different grids. The grids even have the extra wiring already in them foir the options... its cheaper to do that than run an extra bit of wire for some obvious factory option.

So its just the plugs that you change if so desired. We just use plug adapters.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying