Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 08:07   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
There's no such thing as unsinkable. Uncontrollable fire will sink anything.
The engine, mast and batteries will sink, but the uncombusted goo left over by the fire will probably still be floating around for a few years.

All this aside, what's the issue? Many of us choose multihulls (which include trimarans, as well) for their performance. Sort of like sports cars, pickups and SUVs, or for that matter minivans and antique cars.

A multihull is built more like an airplane than a gravel truck for a reason. Maybe it would be more instructive to think about what you want to use the boat to achieve. Do you want to carry a lathe and welding shop, along with the 400 gallon watertank, 40 HP outboard and waterski RIB? Or are you willing to forego many of those pleasures for the lifting a hull in a zephyr and regularly making 200 mile days? That, it seems to me, should be what your conversation could address. Both forms of watercraft are safe, when handled by competent crew, both offer their own charms and sacrifices. What rings your bells?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Been tried before by Dufour. Not such high performance but very similar concept. Disappeared without trace very quickly. Moody now trying the same. I predict the same outcome.

So, in answer to your question... No
I agree, this is no substitute, it will heel to start with plus many other variables which have been gone into millions of times before so I wont bore people by repeating them.

This seems to go round in circles, a cat has 2 hulls a mono has 1, end of story, we all make different choices for different reasons.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 07:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
we are looking to buy a cat around 40' and not new. The carbon monohull is out of our budget but intrigues us as (ex) monohull fans.

Raced for many years Prindle's etc but never thought of cats for cruising but it starts appealing to me now having a family etc.
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote