Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2008, 06:33   #1

All inclusive vacations?

Have any of you been or know of a all inclusive vacation that might have any sailing on a cat or day sailors on the beach? The wife wants to go the week of Thanksgiving and come back on Thanksgiving day! I think it would be a good idea. It would be cool to find a catamaran charter in the Caribbean that would take you out in a storm would be a plus. I wonder how these 60 foot cats would handle in 50 mph winds.
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:38   #2
jzk

I have been to an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic that included use of the hobie kayak on the beach, but extra for motorized watercraft.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:38   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
This april we are going to Club Hedonism II on Jamaica. The all inclusive price includes hobie cats and small dinghy sailor such as Sunfish. Also included is free scuba diving.

There are two parts to the resort. The nude side and the "prude" side for those more self concious. I don't believe that they cater to children.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:38   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would think that many have hobies on the beach. I would also think that day charters are figured in too.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:53   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Done it in the DR a few years ago. Think it was one of the Melia resorts. Check the brochures, there's tons of them.
Old 27-03-2008, 08:03   #6

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Near Hedonism in Negril, they run a daily Catamaran tour (50' maybe?) called "Wild Thing". I have watched it arrive and depart with way too many people on it many times. The drink is free flowing they say.
But while it appears to be a sailing cat hull, there is no rig on it and it is used strictly as a power cat.
They do pull right up to the beach to load and unload - usually right in front of Margaritaville.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 10:58   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
The all inclusive price includes hobie cats and small dinghy sailor such as Sunfish.
There are two parts to the resort. The nude side and the "prude" side
Careful you don't get your tackle caught up in the rigging and bring plenty of sun screen!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 11:03   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but The Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda, BVI, is a great place for sailing. They have a fleet of different kinds of sailboats and all sorts of sailing programs for guests.
Old 27-03-2008, 13:51   #9

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Sunsail has a sailing resort on Antigua. Dunno if it's all-inclusive, but they sure do have a lot of boats.
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 16:20   #10

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
Have any of you been or know of a all inclusive vacation that might have any sailing on a cat or day sailors on the beach? The wife wants to go the week of Thanksgiving and come back on Thanksgiving day! I think it would be a good idea. It would be cool to find a catamaran charter in the Caribbean that would take you out in a storm would be a plus. I wonder how these 60 foot cats would handle in 50 mph winds.
son - what's yer budget? What does your wife really want - i.e., does she just think she wants an all inclusive? Have either of you ever traveled to the Caribbean before? Is her idea of "roughing it" slow room service?

The BEYC is a terrific recomendation - if you have the budget. It is not cheap. Alternatively, check out Sunsail's facilities as also already mentioned. Also consider designing yer own vacation by selecting a more economical hotel setting for a base and shopping activities ala carte - including sailing excursions. For example, check out Myette's on Cane Garden Bay and then shop for day charters. BTW, you will not find any reputable charter who will take you out in a storm, so forget that idea.

If you've really got the bucks, just do a crewed charter. It would be interesting to compare the costs of one of these - especially if you have some other folks to share the cost - with a typical all-inclusive.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 18:58   #11

I think we are at around 4,000 for a vacation that is it. Some of those charters are 20,000 per person ? Why??
Old 28-03-2008, 06:02   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Son, you are unlikely to get to experience 'sailing' in a typical tourist cat in any conditions, let alone during a storm - they truly are designed and run as 'booze cruises'. That being said, there are many inexpensive all-inclusive vacations where you will have free access to Sunfish, Hobies (albeit sometimes only with a staff member on board). And you can always arrange for a day charter on a smaller boat where your object is actually to go sailing.

The range of hotels and prices is unbelievable - at your total I would look for a moderately priced resort and then leave enough money for chartering a small crewed yacht for a couple of half-days or so. You can find many private yachts in the Caribbean that willl do day charters at terrific rates; check internet sites with general information on the islands that you are considering. In addition, you can often approach charter yachts and if they are not busy (likely during your proposed time of the year) get a terrific deal by negotiating on the spot.

The Virgin Islands are, of course, filled with yachts but short on all-inclusive resorts. St. Lucia now offers a number of all-inclusives as well as available yachts, but probably at a higher price than you are looking for. The Grenadines have the yachts, but no real all-inclusives (and the need for a shuttle flight). And while St. Martin has a ton of yachts, it is short on low cost all-inclusives (and boats will also tend to be more expensive for a private charter).

At your proposed price range I would look to the DR or Jamaica. I have only been to the DR once (and will likely never return), but there are some very inexpensive all-inclusives and in certain areas, a fair number of sailing yachts. In Jamaica I would recommend a resort in the Montego Bay area as there is a marina with available yachts. As to a hotel..... check brochures. The Decameron Montego Bay and even the Holiday Inn Sunspree are very cheap (likely under a thou a head). They are both very close to the airport (and in the case of the Decameron, right on the 'hip strip' and near some cool bars). All of the rooms in the former are ocean view and it is an inexpensive upgrade to a ground floor ocean front room at the latter. Food and service are 'OK' and it will definitely leave money for chartering a private yacht. Think in terms of $250.00 or less for a half-day for a party of four (you can likely cut costs by finding another interested couple at the resort). Anyway, what you propose is definitely 'doable' - in the past, while I was hunting for properties in the Caribbean I often stayed at all-inclusives as the 'no-hassle' format allowed me to spend the days viewing properties without worrying about the logistics of anything else. There are way better resorts than the ones I have mentioned, but at the price they will provide great bang for the buck and will allow you to budget for some time on a private yacht.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 06:07   #13

Boat: Catana 471
Brad is the expert.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 06:22   #14
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Not sure about that Dave, but in the course of ten years of hunting for a property I took about 50 trips to various islands, stayed at everything from budget to expensive hotels, both all-inclusive and otherwise, tried hugely pricey villas, bare-boating and crewed yachts. Yes, all-inclusives are designed to keep you away from experiencing the island, but you needn't view it that way. They also allow you the freedom to spend your days doing other things and to know that you can always return to a decent meal at virtually any time of the day.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 12:41   #15

Thanks Brad! where are you located now? It sounds like you did what I would have done if I had the time and money to do so! One day when i retire I would like to be a Trimaran Charter that everyone talks about! I do and would offer rides in different type of breezes! I would be different, of course I would have something like a legal document for people to sign before getting on my boat! I am a extreme person and like to go to near the top of performance levels! At the same time I do not but anyone at risks of danger! It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt!