Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 20:42   #1

Alan Carwadine and Asia Catamarans ??

Does anyone have any info about this designer and the Stealth 13M built by Asia cats?? They list 20% carbon in the structure I would guess this means the bulkheads?

Is this cat capable of offshore sailing?

Factor, or 44c have you ever heard seen one?

Cheers
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 21:52   #2

Re: Alan Carwadine and Asia Catamarans ??

Here is the company web site.

Catamaran STEALTH 2011 Models Sailplan & Features
Old 07-06-2016, 23:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep, I know Alan and his boats and designs. He knows more about performance cruising cats than most people. He also consults to some production builders on dagger board design and similar. Great boats, but not for everyone, you need to want to own a sailing boat. Not a block of flats. Talk to Alan, he is a nice bloke. His earlier design, a 12 meter cat called CUT SNAKE (as in Mad as a Cut Snake) is here in Brisbane, and I have been on a few of his boats in Phuket. Simple strong and bloody quick.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
His earlier design, a 12 meter cat called CUT SNAKE (as in Mad as a Cut Snake) is here in Brisbane, and I have been on a few of his boats in Phuket. Simple strong and bloody quick.
Yes and no.

Cut Snake was very lightly built and from memory , another designer was employed consulting to beef it up so it was strong enough to actually complete a race without a DNF through boat failure.

A Stealth named Nautilus was blown off its chocks in a boat yard accident and suffered considerable damage due to its very light build.( Not good for a cruiser but OK for a racer). Great for the shipwright who did the repairs.

In summary, lightly built for speed hence quick for a bridgedeck cat, fragile for a cruiser.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Yes and no.

Cut Snake was very lightly built and from memory , another designer was employed consulting to beef it up so it was strong enough to actually complete a race without a DNF through boat failure.

A Stealth named Nautilus was blown off its chocks in a boat yard accident and suffered considerable damage due to its very light build.( Not good for a cruiser but OK for a racer). Great for the shipwright who did the repairs.

In summary, lightly built for speed hence quick for a bridgedeck cat, fragile for a cruiser.
Who was the designer?

Cut Snake is hardly fragile, quite a few years old now, been raced hard and still going. Yes it is on the light side of the equation and you would build subtly differently for a live aboard cruiser, as Asia Cats have done with a number of more recent boats.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:40   #6

What is fragile about them?? I take away that they are not a "greyhound of the ocean" like a Outremer is, but a great performance cat for Asia and back to Aus.

Would a Steath 13m be ok with gear for a minimalist couple living aboard?
Old 08-06-2016, 14:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Probably slightly lighter and quicker than an Outremer. But talk to Alan, I am sure he can accommodate your requirements. Just remember heavy DOE NOT equal strong.
Old 08-06-2016, 14:13   #8

Boat: Asia Catamarans Stealth13 13 metres

My wife & I have a Stealth 13 under construction at the moment, due for launching in August. We have been up sailing with Alan on a number of occasions & looking over the build.
I am totally impressed with the build quality & attention to detail.
Alan builds both a cruising/ live aboard version & a racer/cruiser model, so it is up to you which way you want to go.
I chose the Stealth because I wanted a sailing boat that will go to windward, do some family cruising, as well as take in the odd regatta.
Phantom v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:12   #9

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Here is a 13m Stealth currently for sale in Phuket Thailand & it looks good. One thing I notice which someone may be able to throw some light on is in the photos the floor level in the saloon seems to be on the same level as the cockpit. Surely not, is this just an optical illusion in the photos?

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...lth-13m/187314

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 13:38   #10

It's pretty normal on cat's for the cockpit floor and the saloon floor to be on the same level. It's one of the attractions of cat's, that you're not climbing stairs or ladders every time you go inside.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 13:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat View Post
Does anyone have any info about this designer and the Stealth 13M built by Asia cats?? They list 20% carbon in the structure I would guess this means the bulkheads?

Is this cat capable of offshore sailing?

Factor, or 44c have you ever heard seen one?

Cheers
I had a look through "Cut Snake" at Allyacht's factory shortly before she was launched.

I liked the engineering behind having the mast and chainplate loads on the same bulkhead. (Which is why the berths and saloon front are angled the way they are.)

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 18:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's pretty normal on cat's for the cockpit floor and the saloon floor to be on the same level. It's one of the attractions of cat's, that you're not climbing stairs or ladders every time you go inside.

A lot of cats also have a small rise, nothing like steps or ladders, that separates the cockpit from the saloon or a drain outside the saloon doors. I am talking about cats that have a different floor material in the saloon to the cockpit. Not something like a Seawind 1000 where saloon & cockpit are one & the step up is where you go into each hull.

In the case of this boat if you were washing down the cockpit by hosing it out it would make it pretty hard not to get the saloon floor wet as well. Hopefully the boat would sit slightly stern down at rest with the weight of sleeping crew forward so that rain water would not run into the saloon as well.

Old 10-06-2016, 18:36   #13

Stealths genearally have one floor level running through the saloon cockpit area, but with a good slope running act & a crown in the floor to shed water to drain down the sides to the stern. There are storm boards you can slot in on the entry to each hull in rough weather, bar crossings etc. One of the features of the stealth is the huge open area this creates. They are seaworthy yachts, one owner is sailing a Stealth 14 around the world & I think is currently in Africa.
Old 10-06-2016, 18:56   #14

Thanks for your reply Phantom, sounds like it is well covered in the good design. I really like this boat & congratulations on your soon to be launched one as well.

Old 11-06-2016, 17:36   #15

Stealth cats are possibly the only cats designed specifically for warmer climates and with their very light displacements they are not for everyone.
There are many different options available with the Stealth cats including the main door and floor design.
When opting for coastal cruising only, many people prefer the one level floor throughout with some serious drain holes and washboards aft just in case.
The single level floor creates a huge space in a small boat and if you are into dancing you can invite all the neighbors.
The Stealth 14GT’ that is currently circumnavigating the globe. See YouTube Catamaran Stealth 14GT - WOW. does not have the same floor design

Tags
catamaran, Asia