Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-11-2009, 19:08   #31

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
You'll regret it.
Of that I'm sure. I will regret many choices I make especially hard ones. This particular one I don't think I will regret while I'm the owner, but I may regret it upon resale. Hopefully, resale will the later than sooner.

In the end, I've got a fantastic boat either way and if there was ever a boat that would do well in heat without aircon I think this might be one of the best.

Thanks everyone for helping with this decision.

Old 26-11-2009, 00:42   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Thanks everyone for helping with this decision.
Well, now that's pretty much settled, would you mind answering a couple of questions?

1) How are you going to move your Agility once it's done? It looks like youíre building it in Boulder and Iím not aware of any rivers nearby.

2) Have you spent much time in the tropics in the summer?

Either way, best of luck for both issues

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 06:23   #33

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
I'm struggling with a design decision regarding air conditioning and heating on a new build Atlantic 57.

.................................................. .................................................. ........................
Previous owners have gone with the 2 diesel heaters only more often than not.
If it was my boat. Diesel heaters..without question. Then I would make a very simple installation of one of the new 12 or 24 volt 5,000 BTU AC system, like a 50 lb, 5,000 BTU DC Breeze, but only in the master cabin. It is compact and light enough to be tucked under the bunk for a simple easy installation even after the boat was finished. I would have the boat wired for it now.

It would be used only for the few infrequent unbearable still air hot muggy nights at the dock. But as important, I would run it if I kept the boat docked in a marina when not being used. If at a mooring when not being used, a timer system could even be set up to run off the battery system, if it was large enough and had solar chargers, for a short 15 minute periods once a day.

The primary purpose is not to cool the boat down, but it would be to keep the inside of the whole boat dehumidified and to stop black powder mildew from starting and building up. Any boat kept closed up will start to have that mildewy odor if not dehumidified. Using a small undersized AC system, to reduce humidity, is the best way to keep the inside of the boat dry, smelling clean and fresh.
Old 26-11-2009, 08:23   #34

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
1) How are you going to move your Agility once it's done? It looks like youíre building it in Boulder and Iím not aware of any rivers nearby.

2) Have you spent much time in the tropics in the summer?
1. On her bottom, the boat is being built at Alwoplast in Chile. Alwoplast S.A. has some great pictures in the new website.
We're thinking about showing her at the Miami boat show next fall.

2. Spent 9 month in the Caribbean on a dark blue hull with average ventilation. Also have been to the Abaco's ~10 times around June, July. Very hot and liked the aircon at the dock but on the hook it was OK. The Atlantic 57 has far superior ventilation and a white hull.

Did I mention that the admiral doesn't like aircon.
Old 27-11-2009, 07:47   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
1. On her bottom, the boat is being built at Alwoplast in Chile. Alwoplast S.A. has some great pictures in the new website.
Ah. That explains quite a bit.

Quote:
2. Spent 9 month in the Caribbean on a dark blue hull with average ventilation. Also have been to the Abaco's ~10 times around June, July. Very hot and liked the aircon at the dock but on the hook it was OK. The Atlantic 57 has far superior ventilation and a white hull.

Did I mention that the admiral doesn't like aircon.
Not that I recall but given the above, it seems a good choice. I hope it continues to go as well for Agility as it has for the other A57s they've built.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: