Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 16:17   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Air B&B

Anyone ever air B&B their boat in the off season or when they are not using it themselves? If so, how is it working out?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 23:44   #2

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Air B&B

Thats an interesting question as we are also considering to put our boat in the B&B circuit
(Spain)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35   #3

If you search, there are a few recent threads.

Yes, there are boats doing it but check your insurance and marina to make sure they will allow it.

If the boat leaves the dock, you are not playing the airbnb game.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49   #4

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

It sounds like an interesting way to help with maintaining the cruising/maintenance kitty, but I don't think I could relax knowing there was a stranger on my boat!! Then there is the issue of all the boat complexities that the person is not familiar with. It would be easy for someone with no understanding to run the batteries down (and ruin them), mess up the head, leave something on or turn something off and generally just mess around with things they don't understand.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 19:33   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Here is a funny review and owners response from an Air BnB yacht listing. It says a lot:

Not so fabulous

The Marina is very nice. The boat has issues with the toilets causing the entire boat to stink. We only stayed 1 night and contacted the owner in the morning that we could not stay because of the smell. They responded back latter that morning and said they were on there way but we had already left. My wife felt ill and we had this terrible odor all over we could not stay any longer. I contacted Josie and she said a vent pipe was disconnected and that it was a boat thing. I told her there was no way we would stay another night and asked for my deposit and a days refund. We were told not her fault and that there was no refund. I never should have stayed, I detected an odor but she had just tried to clean the boat before we got there. She does not mention that MEN you have to sit to pee and NO POOPING in the toilets. Its a dry system and it stinks the boat is not clean or very well maintained.
  • Stayed: March 2016
  • Submitted: March 31, 2016

Owner response: this was the couple's first boat experience. we spent extra time explaining the particular systems of our boat and toured the marina. anyone who has stayed on my boat knows i am emphatic about being contacted right away for anything that doesnt seem right, a noise, a smell, , that i am available 24/7 and that our friend are mechanics and live just 25' away. in fact, the facilities were used and perhaps aiding to the clamp becoming loosened. unfortunately it was a 15 minute fix but i was never given the chance to correct a simple problem and make their vacation aboard a happy one. as far as standing and peeing for men: this is for lots of reasons. the bowl is 1/2 the size of a household toilet and the boat is moving or has at any moment an opportunity to move . this is just my rule but of many sailors. and in general...men..you're really just not that good a shot. it's a safety and health thing. thats why we recommend using the fabulous facilities at the marina. just down the dock and the others aboard will thank you as well. every boater knows that if the head (toilet) doesnt function...well just stay at the dock. on a boat its a piece of equipment. in subsequent texts the guest admits to" dropping the ball" and not contacting me about their issue. really any hosts want to know whats going on. they and i want guests to be happy!! we just want the chance to do so.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 22:35   #6

Boat: Island Packet 29

You are right! That pretty much sums it up. The chances for unfulfilled expectations on both parties is very high, it's a loose loose situation!
Amani Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote