Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 21:01   #16

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC
Re: Advise on Catamaran for extended cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Here's a vote for the older Leopards, and I mean older! The original line, in the order in which they were introduced, L45, L38, L42, L47, L43 are really solid boats that sail well.
+1

Couldn't be happier with our girl. Not to quote the president but built like a brick #%*+ house.
Don
2000 Leopard 38+
SVBONZAI.com
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 21:39   #17

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
The big 3 would be ???
Lagoon leopard and fontain pajot. The fp's you need to be careful on as the vintage that matches your price range have bad osmosis issues.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 21:41   #18

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
(people fret about the Leopard forward helm safety aspect, but Happy Together on youtube is proving it's not an issue.
Hmmm tell that to the family of the 44 delivery crew that was lost in Indian ocean a few years back.

Pretty sure they were more than just fretting....
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 21:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Lagoon leopard and fontain pajot. The fp's you need to be careful on as the vintage that matches your price range have bad osmosis issues.
I have looked at the fps, and the Lagoons, but not the Leopards so much.

I have noticed a lot of makers have highly-raked forward windows, which seem to be pointless as they must let a lot of heat from the sun in, and are at such an angle as to make looking forward difficult. Do you guys note any significant difference in seaworthiness between the 3, AND, how much does seaworthiness vary from model to model within in line. How can you tell a model that is intended more for the charter biz, and those that are solid blue-water passage-makers?

I've narrowed my thinking down, at least for now, to the Lagoon 40 to 45. Any model that stands out in that line/range as better, safer, more-seaworthy vessel?
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 22:15   #20

Boat: Amel 50

My wife and I did 4 seasons in S. Pacific on our Lagoon 450. It was a great and safe cat. Also, the size was just right. Any bigger and it would be a handful. Make sure not to overload it.

A great way to form your opinion is to visit the factories. See how they are built.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 01:17   #21

Quote:
Hmmm tell that to the family of the 44 delivery crew that was lost in Indian ocean a few years back.

I know this board can get snarky and I in no way mean this as a snarky question, but according to the statement from the family, they set sail into Cyclone Bansi and encountered winds in excess of 112mph. Is it your assessment as a sailor that the Leopard forward cockpit was the problem and that other cats would have been ok in these conditions? Can you imagine the windage on a flybridge Lagoon in those winds? Are all Gunboats not seaworthy because a cocky owner deliberately took his out in a storm?

While most Leopards are now shipped for financial reasons, they used to do crossings all the time just to get to their owners. Your opinion of their abilities doesn’t seem fair based on the facts.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 02:53   #22
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Have a look at the Broadblue range of cats.
These are long distance sail boats rather than designed for the charter market.
Sos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 04:36   #23

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:

Having looked at the reports of that incident (and it's the only one lost) there's nothing offering any proof that the forward cockpit or door contributed.

That said, what has your experience been offshore with the new Leopards? It's the Admiral's favorite, and while I prefer the Helia (or new 42), keeping her happy goes a long way to sailing more! ;-)

Thanks,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:09   #24

Boat: Boatless

If you’re questioning electric propulsion you’ve got a ways to go!

Here’s my two cents. Buy as much waterline as you can afford. The older leapords and voyages are good boats. I wouldn’t worry so much about brighedeck clearance et al, I’d focus on experience which from the tone of your posts sounds limited.

Your budget is reasonable for the vintage you’re considering.

Jumping straight into long Pacific crossings concerning.

All the best!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post

Here’s my two cents. Buy as much waterline as you can afford. The older leapords and voyages are good boats. I wouldn’t worry so much about brighedeck clearance et al, I’d focus on experience which from the tone of your posts sounds limited.

All the best!
I've crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific from and to Hawaii to SFO, both trips in powered vessels. However, my sailing experience is limited to small mono-hulls 30' and below.

Re: electric propulsion, I have learned that Lagoon installed it on some boats, and then did a complimentary warranty re-power with Yanmar's, which seems to be considered a "windfall" by the recipients thereof. I will avoid it wholly. If you have further details/info/corrections and/or opinions, I am all ears.
Old 23-01-2018, 09:32   #26

I have a 2000 Bahia 46'. I love it. First yacht I owned and no regrets. We have a watermaker, front load washing machine, 10 scuba tanks, compressor but no aircon or generator. It currently has 925w solar and two windgens which have a max output of 1100w. Will be replacing the lead acid with lithium iron batteries this season and replacing the bimini with a hard top and an additional 1400w of solar. We also have 4 freezers and two large fridges for the longer trips.

The older lagoons are much better than the new ones for speed and safety. The new ones have just become floating tower blocks and are so slow. We cruised with a lagoon 56 for a week and we could sail circles around it on any point of sail, especially into wind.
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 10:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post

All the best!
I'd really like to keep this limited to boat-selection, including features to embrace or avoid, makes, models etc.

I appreciate your advise on those subjects.
Old 23-01-2018, 11:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Have a look at the Broadblue range of cats.
These are long distance sail boats rather than designed for the charter market.
I looked at their website and noted their RCD Cat A rating. However, I also not a lack of trampoline. Do you see that as a safety issue in a 38' boat? What's you opinion on that?
Old 23-01-2018, 11:22   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
I looked at their website and noted their RCD Cat A rating. However, I also not a lack of trampoline. Do you see that as a safety issue in a 38' boat? What's you opinion on that?
Maybe I'm missing something:
http://www.broadblue.com/wp-content/...5/DSC_5599.jpg
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 11:49   #30

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We love our Manta 40. Recommend looking at Manta 42s and 40s. They were built for couples cruising and are sailing around the world regularly. And a great owners forum/group!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising, extended cruising