Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 14:26   #1

Advice on the Schionning 1750

We're considering buying a Schionning 1750. We're first time sailors and plan to live aboard, eventually planning to circumnavigate. We're looking at one that has been for sale over a year and they've dropped the price to $650,000 which seems cheap for a boat of this size and quality. Any thoughts or opinions on this boat our other boats in this price range for a family of three? We're a bit worried about payload because we do want dishwasher, wash/dryer etc.
Other boats we're considering are Catana's and Lagoons.
niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: advice on the Schionning 1750

Which one? As in which 1750 design, the Waterline 1750 and the Cosmos 1750 are quite different designs.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:22   #3

Waterline or Cosmos? Either way, it's a far more performance oriented boat than either the Catana or the Lagoon. So for a boat of similar length it will carry less, have less space, but will sail much faster.

Dishwasher and washer/dryer wouldn't be a problem in terms of weight or space, but you need a genset to power them, and to run the watermaker to feed them.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 16:19   #4

You're right, forgot that detail...the Waterline.
Old 05-01-2017, 16:23   #5

That's good to know, my husbands more keen on the performance.. I just want my dishes and clothes washed!
Old 05-01-2017, 16:35   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

If it is the Waterline rosella it has a genset. Seems well set us for live aboard in remote areas, low engine hours, 1000L fuel, Sarca anchors. Very good inventory.

If passes survey a world cruiser.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:18   #7

hahaha... you got it! That's the one we're interested in. Thanks for the details, we haven't had the chance to have a look in person but she seems perfect for us. We're waiting for the sale of our house to finalize and currently eBaying 30 years of collected crap! Don't buy it before me or I'll have to settle for that 500 Lagoon!!
Old 05-01-2017, 17:33   #8

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Wow, you guys are starting at the top if you can pull it off!

Cheers,
Old 05-01-2017, 18:57   #9

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecy View Post
hahaha... you got it! That's the one we're interested in. Thanks for the details, we haven't had the chance to have a look in person but she seems perfect for us. We're waiting for the sale of our house to finalize and currently eBaying 30 years of collected crap! Don't buy it before me or I'll have to settle for that 500 Lagoon!!
Hands off that L500 in Coomera. We are checking her out next week

Is Rosella still for sale? We looked at her in April 2015. The admiral did not like the purple interior and that pole in the middle, that made her look like a floating strip club or something like that. I did not mind the admiral taking up pole-dancing, but ... let's leave it at that

I think you can strike a bargain with Rosella.

edit (found a photo):
Old 05-01-2017, 21:11   #10

For sale since 2015? Even better!! Knowing my luck it'll go the month before we're ready! And yes it definitely has a bit of a hen's night stretch limo look doesn't it?! I'm gonna have to brush up on my burlesque for sure!
What did you think of the lay out of the bedrooms and stuff, it's hard to get a good idea of it from the pic's. I'm assuming it's a bit dismal down there. But I love all the woodwork and the layout up top. Not to mention my partner's giving up his Porsche for this, so I think he wants to pretend it's a Floating Lamborghini.

That L500 looks sweet, lot's of luck!
Old 05-01-2017, 21:44   #11

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
For sale since 2015? Even better!! Knowing my luck it'll go the month before we're ready! And yes it definitely has a bit of a hen's night stretch limo look doesn't it?! I'm gonna have to brush up on my burlesque for sure!
What did you think of the lay out of the bedrooms and stuff, it's hard to get a good idea of it from the pic's. I'm assuming it's a bit dismal down there. But I love all the woodwork and the layout up top. Not to mention my partner's giving up his Porsche for this, so I think he wants to pretend it's a Floating Lamborghini.

That L500 looks sweet, lot's of luck!
Floating pimped up Lamborghini. Good description. Easy to change to a nice comfy BMW, I agree. We are looking more for a floating Winnebago .

Rosella is a great boat. Very high quality finishing, but for us it was a bit too much. The hulls are a bit narrow, and you feel this inside. However those sleek hulls make a fast boat.
Old 06-01-2017, 00:12   #12

Quote:
For sale since 2015? Even better!! Knowing my luck it'll go the month before we're ready!
Don't fret, Niecy. "Boats, buses and blokes. Never chase after one, as another will soon come along."
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:52   #13

Boat: Trintella 4

There is a 52ft Schionning cat for sale in Hawaii. The owners have drastically reduced the price to sell her. Message me if you would like details.
lifeboatcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Waterline or Cosmos? Either way, it's a far more performance oriented boat than either the Catana or the Lagoon.
I hope you are not putting Catana and Lagoon on the same class..

I have not sailed any Schionning design (I'd love to but there aren't many here) so don't have a clue. But the way it looks, she should be quite fast. I've sailed various size of Catana and Lagoon and the latter is not even close in terms of performance to Catana.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03   #15

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Hi there Niecy we are owners of a Schionning 17C GForce that we are currently building from scratch and fingers crossed we will be launching in a few months. As some of the others have pointed out Schionning boats are about performance, speed, sailability rather than the luxuries of the lagoon. Schionning vessels tend to hit the water light on eg we will be aiming for 11ton whereas vessels like the lagoon will be considerably more weight maybe double/triple. But the effect of the weight will be felt considerably when you are sailing. So if your husband loves a Porsche he will love the Schionning over the lagoon for speed and performance. I know for us in building - everything is a compromise, so some of life's luxuries go by the wayside - no dishwasher, but we do have a washing machine. As someone said, you need to carry extra water, have extra power etc to operate, which is all weight which effects performance. In relation to Rosella - my understanding is that it is a extremely well built boat. Probably is heavier than the norm because of the timber, but it does look lovely. Think of the workout you will get with the dancers pole - lol. If you would like to understand the reason for the pole or know more about the Schionning concepts, feel free to email me with your contact details and we can give you a call. Good luck!!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote