Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2013, 20:39   #16
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Boat buying is an interesting process....

We also looked very closely at the Seawind 1250.

If the boat buying was up to only my captain, we would be Seawind buyers but I had a few what I called my "girl issues" with the 1250. To me he 1250 is too "boy"

I could still see that it was beautiful boat though and I did like the fact it came with everything as a package.

cheers
the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana
We'd agree with all that.

We too were very impressed with the Seawind 1250...and, with every Seawind, that it/they were marketed as a complete package. You really could 'sail away' on a new Seawind. Compare that to other production boats featuring list prices with a host of 'extras' that are anything but extra!

Boat buying is indeed an interesting process...and one we enjoyed...but cruising on your own is much, much better!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 21:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Hey Andrew

If I order an Outremer 45 will you organise to get it to Aus at no charge and pay the taxes on the way in.
No. And with respect thats not what the OP enquired about and not what I indicated.

What I will do if you buy an Outremer is organise a couple f insurance quotes for you and if we were using the boat at a show, I would sail it with you to the location of the show. Which is what the OP was asking about.

It will be a quicker sail on the O45
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 22:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi D & D, yes we are enjoying the cruising life and home early Nov.
At the moment off the Italian coast at Ischia.
Cheers. G.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 21:08   #19

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

We use Pantaenius, touch wood we haven't had to put in a claim so I can't tell you how good they are.
Having a guide/capt or crew on board is a very good idea just to make getting used to your new boat a bit easier.
Unless you are very tech savy with boats I would have an independant tech expert onboard for your first couple of days at sea.
Even boats with outstanding reputions for quality can have teething problems.
Good luck with your new cat.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01   #20

Boat: Catana 42

Hi Dragon Lady, (great breathing fire type name, I like)

Thanks for insurance advice we will definitely be contacting Pantaenius.

Catana are helping arrange for two skippers to contact us as we will certainly need assistance with the boat to begin with. It is our presumption that there will be teething problems. We are yet to build, renovate or don anything without teething problems so have no doubt a new boat will have some issues to deal with. Based on your advice we may be better to look elsewhere.

Also coming from a culture of not negotiating that much it seems that we have to pick up our skills to enter the European markets.

Thanks for advice

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:08   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ive done extensive Med sailing. Id suggest the following

Option (1) Firstly take time, from Perpignan you could up the french Cote D'azure, and then make teh run to Corsica, Sardinia, Scilly , Crete etc. Avoid huge long sails. enjoy the trip, take 4-6 weeks. Stay in marinas along the way , which is quite doable pre high season. May is a lovely month, schools arnt out, nights are cool, days are warm and teh mossies arnt up to speed yet. In all these areas, youll find boat yards etc , if you need anything

I would do that yourself ( even after say a sample sail with a skipper).

Option2

Get a delivery skipper, and go for it in one blast , with a stop or two to get your breath. Youll miss a lot and you wont learn that much , but it may feel safer.

If you have more time, Id start even earlier , pick my weather window for the Gulf of Lion and spend time pottering along m getting to know the boat and the area, Id be in no hurry to depart France as you will get easy access to the builder on the Med coast if you have to snag anything

( you dont say how much time you have available)

Any decent insurance company will not have a bother quoting you, I find Pantaenius expensive, Ive used Alliance and Axa as well as GJW.

Documents wise, your need passports and boat insurance and boat registration papers. Youll need that sorted before you leave.

Check in in EU countries is trivial, go to the marina offices and let them tell you what to do, don't go looking for things unless its suggested, ( nobody cares, unless you look like illegal african immigrants) .

Finding marina berths especially for a cat is tricky , your mobile phone is key, you will find that the french, and less so italians will not reply in english to an email , even if they speak quite good english, ring them in advance to find a berth. ( be prepared to use your phone a lot, you can pick up both paid and free marina guides in chandleries ) I never had a problem in Corscia ( Calvi has a mooring field , but I think they only lay it in late June ), Sardinia ( olbia) messina, etc

Try and overnight in marinas for this first trip, you can virtually day sail teh whole way to Turkey ( well not quite but close enough)

With Oz passports , you can take advantage of the Schengen concession to teh Antipodes, so all will be well, anyway nobody cares if you come and go by yacht.

Quote:
Also coming from a culture of not negotiating that much it seems that we have to pick up our skills to enter the European markets.
I wouldnt sweat it, its not much different from Oz.

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25   #22

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Hi Dragon Lady, (great breathing fire type name, I like)

Thanks for insurance advice we will definitely be contacting Pantaenius.

Catana are helping arrange for two skippers to contact us as we will certainly need assistance with the boat to begin with. It is our presumption that there will be teething problems. We are yet to build, renovate or don anything without teething problems so have no doubt a new boat will have some issues to deal with. Based on your advice we may be better to look elsewhere.

Thanks for advice

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Hi Miss,

Having a factory rep on the boat sounds like a good idea these people have a vested interest in making sure everything runs smoothly.
It would also be wise to have your own rep there too.

Having dealt with many warranty issues on behalf of my employer the Europeans sometimes find Aussies a bit picky, which of course we are not (well not that much HA)
Languages can also make things tricky and even though you will probably be dealing with fluent English speakers, sometimes misunderstandings occur.

Anyway have a great time you lucky ducks!
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28   #23

Boat: secondarily boatless

Miss,

not a lot to add here - we just made it out of the Med on our way west. We also have Pantaenius as insurance company. Three suggestions from me: First, don't pass by some of the very beautiful places on your way. Cote d'Azur, Corsica, Sardinia, Greece - you will miss out if you go fast (and direct).
Second, don't use Marinas unless you have to. There are tons of anchoring places all along the way, and it is MUUUCH nicer than being in a noisy, smelly and possibly dirty marina - even if you forget about the cost.
Third, get a good weather forecast program, and use it twice a day in the Med. The weather there is influenced mightily by the surrounding land mass, and it can get ugly very quickly. Check for Mistral, Tramontane, Bora etc. etc - each of these are local winds that can reach gale force in minutes.

Lots of luck with your beautiful boat...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33   #24

Hi Dave,

Top advice thanks. My husband only has four weeks to deliver the boat from France to Turkey before he has to be back home for work - I should have said how much time or lack off there is. Once we collect the boat in December we will have "all the time in the world".

Great advice we really appreciate the time and much discussion is happening at our table

Thanks again
the Miss
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
There are tons of anchoring places all along the way, and it is MUUUCH nicer than being in a noisy, smelly and possibly dirty marina
Having stayed in most of teh Cote D'azure, the Italian Rivera , Calvi Bonefacio, Olbia, Messina, Crete, various Greece, and Turkey, Ive yet to see smelly or dirty marinas, the odd one out being Reggio. The standard Western Med marina is now very good, albetit expensive.

For newbies, lots of anchoring out , adds to the tension and makes provisioning difficult, not to mention the risk of having to deal with bad weather with nowhere to get to safety. I would not reccomend it for newbies.

dave
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Top advice thanks. My husband only has four weeks to deliver the boat from France to Turkey before he has to be back home for work - I should have said how much time or lack off there is. Once we collect the boat in December we will have "all the time in the world".

Great advice we really appreciate the time and much discussion is happening at our table

Thanks again
the Miss
Its quite doable in 4 weeks, eminently so in 6 weeks. squeeze the Boss. But it maybe that you should just get the boat delivered in a quick fast run. ( withg or without you). A one week sail east from perpignan will snag it and be within Catana range to service it
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver L. View Post
Miss,

not a lot to add here - we just made it out of the Med on our way west. We also have Pantaenius as insurance company. Three suggestions from me: First, don't pass by some of the very beautiful places on your way. Cote d'Azur, Corsica, Sardinia, Greece - you will miss out if you go fast (and direct).
Second, don't use Marinas unless you have to. There are tons of anchoring places all along the way, and it is MUUUCH nicer than being in a noisy, smelly and possibly dirty marina - even if you forget about the cost.
Third, get a good weather forecast program, and use it twice a day in the Med. The weather there is influenced mightily by the surrounding land mass, and it can get ugly very quickly. Check for Mistral, Tramontane, Bora etc. etc - each of these are local winds that can reach gale force in minutes.

Oliver
Cheers Oliver

I should have mentioned the time frame of only four weeks to get from A to B.
My husband without me which is sad =(
We won't start using the boat until December next year
Do you have weather forecast that you use that you recommend. Avoiding Marina's is a highly desirable means of travel for us.

Cheers for advice
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I should have mentioned the time frame of only four weeks to get from A to B.
My husband without me which is sad =(
We won't start using the boat until December next year
Do you have weather forecast that you use that you recommend. Avoiding Marina's is a highly desirable means of travel for us.
Then hire a delivery skipper, ( youll have to as you dont have enough crew I suspect)

with a delivery youll want it done as fast as possible. Snag it around pergignan, then do a long run to Turkey with on or two stops.

Let the delivery guy worry about the forecasts.

It would be crazy to self deliver on a restricted time scale. very stupid indeed especially if newbies. you could find yourself storm bound and then have to return to Oz.

Navtex is very useful in the Med, get one fitted by the yard.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59   #29

Hi Dave we agree that we would be crazy to self deliver and not on our agenda.

Based on heading straight there without site seeing from mid June do you have an indication for us of how long you think it will take

Cheers
the Miss
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09   #30
Nearly an old salt

its about 1300 miles, so Id say 14 -17 days, allowing for a stop or two and a weather delay or so, The big factor is the weather, you can get storm bound for several days. A good delivery skipper will push it to get it completed and with luck could do it in two weeks or even quicker with favourable winds.

I did perpignan to preveza in Greece last year, delivery of a brand new out of teh wrappers Jeaneaux 42i. took 2 1/2 weeks with weather delays, with stops in Calvi, Olbia and Messina ( all 1 nights) plus some weather delays ( 4 days ) in Corscia.

dave

Tags
Australia, Europe, rope