Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 16:53   #1

Adventure Race

Hi Everyone wanted to bounce this idea off of you. We are planning an Adventure race in Okinawa Japan and may eventually include Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Here is what we are thinking so far. The race will be between 3 days to 2 weeks. You would sail from island to island and once reached the second part of the leg begins, where there would be another sport event, like cycling to the next part to get your clue, or free dive to get your next clue, or hiking through the jungle to a mountain top to find your clue. Some evenings we would anchor out front of a Hotel Resort and hold an evening event, and at least one night anchor off a deserted island and hold a private party.

We would expect with the large amount of big companies in the the area that there would be a lot of sponsors eventually with big prizes. Also great TV coverage.

We are at the planning stage now but will be holding our first race this summer. Probably with limited sponsors, but we already know hotels here that are interested.

What are your thoughts on this kind of event? Would love to know what others outside of this area think.
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think it is a great idea.

- Have you organized anything like this before. It is really tough. Google singapore's race to the equator website. The rally has been run twice. It started with a few guys over beers at the club. The amount of organizing is huge
- I think you have to decide whether it is a rally (cruising boats) or a race (big buck guys). Attracting big buck guys requires lots of money. Cruisers require lots of support. Having both clases increases the complexity tremendously
- Going international requires another level of complexity
- If a rally take a look at the Australia/Indonesia race site for some idea of what is involved
- I am not sure about Okinawa but race time will impact participants. Most guys can get away for a week from work. Any longer and it is a serious time commitment and you will likely attract fewer boats.

We have done poker runs in a day. Visit 5 docks and get a playing card at each one. Best hand wins in the bar.

We have also arranged passages with overnights or weekend rallies. A day of racing to somewhere, a big social and a race back. If a 3 day trip maybe some windward lewards on the middle day. Good fun.

If you haven't organized anything like this maybe try organizing a weekend rally within Okinawa and seenhowmit goes.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:53   #3

Re: Adventure Race

Hey Thanks for the tips! No never organized one before and this type of race will be the first here. Wont be doing it myself and surely there will be a lot of people involved, but will start small and work our way up. Again not sure but maybe have 3-4 events a year each being different. Triathlons marathons and bike races are very popular so wanted to mix that into the mix.

Some points we were thinking about were;
1) Has to be coed. So at least one woman onboard.
2) Adventure based. So seeing new places that you would never see otherwise. Going to those off the beaten path places.
3) Mixing skills like Sailing, Cycling, free diving etc. (Not sure what to include yet, but most likely the most popular sports)
4) Parties and events to bring people together from various countries and have new friendships.
5) Maybe have a BEST DRESSED crew prize.
6) One day everyone cooks breakfast and everyone goes around to each boat trying each others special receipt, then have a best breakfast prize.
7) Each boat is required to film part of the race. Used later to promote.
8) There will be points for each leg of the race so there are chances for everyone to excel.
9) Sponsors will provide prizes for each category and an overall winner will have he ultimate prize. I am sure we can get in the excess of $100,000 in prices. I already know 4 companies that would pitch in.

We would hope more and more people come and boat owners could outsource crew. Also hope the Aussie and Singapore sailors would eventually get involved in the big event once a year. (This is a bit longer term once the race gets established)

Once step at a time.
Old 22-05-2012, 22:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w
Hey Thanks for the tips! No never organized one before and this type of race will be the first here. Wont be doing it myself and surely there will be a lot of people involved, but will start small and work our way up. Again not sure but maybe have 3-4 events a year each being different. Triathlons marathons and bike races are very popular so wanted to mix that into the mix.

Some points we were thinking about were;
1) Has to be coed. So at least one woman onboard.
2) Adventure based. So seeing new places that you would never see otherwise. Going to those off the beaten path places.
3) Mixing skills like Sailing, Cycling, free diving etc. (Not sure what to include yet, but most likely the most popular sports)
4) Parties and events to bring people together from various countries and have new friendships.
5) Maybe have a BEST DRESSED crew prize.
6) One day everyone cooks breakfast and everyone goes around to each boat trying each others special receipt, then have a best breakfast prize.
7) Each boat is required to film part of the race. Used later to promote.
8) There will be points for each leg of the race so there are chances for everyone to excel.
9) Sponsors will provide prizes for each category and an overall winner will have he ultimate prize. I am sure we can get in the excess of $100,000 in prices. I already know 4 companies that would pitch in.

We would hope more and more people come and boat owners could outsource crew. Also hope the Aussie and Singapore sailors would eventually get involved in the big event once a year. (This is a bit longer term once the race gets established)

Once step at a time.
Might consider the cycling, swimming, free diving is a person from the crew rather than the whole crew. Most skippers I know like to stand behind the wheel and shout orders...

If you consider boats in your immediate area how many active boats are there? The SEA circuit is pretty defined from July through about March. Might want to consider timing if trying to attract long range boats.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:24   #5

Re: Adventure Race

Yes, correct, we would have one dedicated person for each discipline. But we were wondering if the others would get board waiting. Or maybe several disciples are done at the same time to give you a full clue as to where to go next.

As for season, you are correct. So think the main event would take place around this time of the year, while 2-3 other smaller events for people closer by could take place at other times. Typhoons would be the biggest obstacle.

There is a big enough sailing community here and many from mainland Japan sail down for race events. Usually 20 boats take part in longer races taking about a week to complete. These are not heavily promoted races. I am also seeing a growing interest from Korea as well.

Tags
race