Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 09:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV
Admiral Cats

Hello,

I have done a search on the forums but I have failed to find a thread specifically on Admiral cats. I found one but it is 10+ years old, and the reviews in popular magazines are too. I am going to look at a 40 foot Admiral. I have been warned off by brokers who pretty much just deal in FP, Leopard, and Lagoon that any cat that isn't one of those three shouldn't be looked at because they are "too small, and they don't produce enough boats to figure out the problems and fix them".

I think a Cape Town builder acquired the molds after Admiral closed its doors, but they are producing very limited orders.

Are the brokers right? Am I wasting my time looking at less than mainstream cats?

Does anyone have any long-time experience on Admiral Cats of the 2007-2009 vintage?

Thanks in advance.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:08   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Admiral Cats

I think the admiral cats are great boats. Even though I am a Leopard owner and fan I tried to buy an Admiral as well at one stage. They are “big” for their size and are quality builds. Most needed maintenance parts are generic so I don’t see that as a big issue.

Rgards
MikeF
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 01:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I agree. When I was looking at cats (10 years ago), they looked very good and spacious. The owner of the company at the time (David Bird) was very helpful in that I was getting started on restoring my Island Spirit 401 and he provided supplies for free and TA. This doesn't speak to the current owners but does say something about the kind of support South African builders can provide.

The only issue I know of was that they were using hollow SS tubes for rudder stock which proved inadequate in one case. They quickly fixed the problem but I have no idea of how they are being built now.

Having said that however reselling of a less known brand might take longer. If that is not an issue then I would definitely check them out.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 21:21   #4

My 2 Cents:

The design came from Lavranos which also designed the St Francis range. I have sailed the Admiral 40 and she sails wonderfull. There are a few blogs out there where ocean crossings and the yacht general handling end livability are documented.

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/siyasinana/132836
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eclectic
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/neverbored

Some out there such as "options" etc.
The only issue that I ever came across was with the boat named ocean dreams. This is documented in their blog https://www.sailblogs.com/member/oceansdream/106094
GYRODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I have no personal experience, but some friends ran an Admiral 38 in charter here, for a number of years, and then sailed from the Caribbean to Australia and sold her. They loved the boat, for what that is worth.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:10   #6

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

This guy does mostly daily charters of off a Miami (Dinner Key) Marina. I believe he has a Admiral 40 and is tinkering on it all day. If you happen to be in Miami you may find him interesting.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:06   #7
VJT

Boat: Admiral 40

Hi There,

Yes the Admiral 40 is still been manufactured by a company in Cape Town called Celtic Yachts. I am currently having one built and very happy with the quality and workmanship. If you would like more info on the company you are welcome to message me.
VJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:16   #8
VJT

Boat: Admiral 40

BTW here is a link of the Admiral 40 ( Celtic ) it was at the Annapolis Boat show last week:

VJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:38   #9

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

We have a 2006 Admiral 38. Great boat with surprising amount of room for 38'. No special maintenance considerations (yanmar, raymarine, etc).
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote