Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 16:22   #1

Boat: St Francis 50
Admiral Catamarans

We are interested in opinions on the Admiral 50 and 44 catamarans made in Cape Town, South Africa.
How do they compare to the St Francis 50 and other liveaboard cats?
Thanks
Paul and Maureen
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 18:04   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We have sailed in company with a couple of Admirals. They seemed to sail well and owners were happy with them.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 17:47   #3
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
We are interested in opinions on the Admiral 50 and 44 catamarans made in Cape Town, South Africa.
Thanks
Paul and Maureen
It is already a year I am reading as much as I can about Cats. We (me and my wife) have eleven years living on board (monohull) experience through Mediterranean, West Africa, Caribbean and Central America. We are ready for the experience of a multihull.
We were at Annapolis this month and... guess what? we sign a contract for an Admiral 40. It was a first sight love but also I trusted all the good report I found on line.
fvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 03:28   #4

Boat: Hanse 371
Congratulations !
Here in Europe Admiral catamarans are pretty unknown.
I don't think the Admiral Cats have been presented at one
of the European Boat shows.
Please inform us about why you picked the Admiral 40.

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 07:24   #5
fvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
Congratulations !
Here in Europe Admiral catamarans are pretty unknown.
I don't think the Admiral Cats have been presented at one
of the European Boat shows.
Please inform us about why you picked the Admiral 40.

Koen
I am not an expert but I surely learn that a boat is always a compromise. Enjoy the good and learn to live with bad. You can get used to the boat. In eleven years sailing we spent probably only 150 days out at sea and the rest at anchor and another 150 in marinas and/or yard. Security is first but then comes comfort at anchor.
Let analyze what usually people talk about. South Africans cats have lower bridge deck clearance. Probably true, we are talking about inches? Only 22” instead of the 24” of competitor? Don’t make me laugh. If I can’t afford a 70’ cat (high enough from the water) and the crew to maintaining it I will have to pound sometime or wait a day or a week for a change of weather to make that passage.
European big productions boats ? Don’t let me mention names but I have been in all of them at the show. Probably good project but build at the cheapest. Cheap panel of compressed wood with formica and cabinets with hinges that would not last more than a month of opening or even one time opening in rough seas. Every piece mounted with visible screws and unfinished edges. (you don’t see that in the brochure pictures) Engines room where I would put the designer, builder and vendor to change filter and impeller for all their life instead enjoying with tie and sun glasses at the show. Cheap ss and canvas bimini at prices ten times higher that the equivalent and better made jobs you can have in Trinidad now.
Admiral was the perfect compromise (for me) of spacious well design interior. Comfortable deck to work on. New improved system to lift up the dinghy. Easy access to all electric, plumbing and mechanics. Comfortable targa bar with hard top. Semicustom to suite all your needs.
Why they are no present in Europe. I don’t know but the first available was end of 2009 and I choose a 2010 slot. Probably small factories like this are not ready for the European market. Have you ever seen a Manta at a European boat show?
By the way. Answering to Catalysis the Admiral 50 is a complete custom build cat which involve participation of the owner in all important decision for interior etc.
Old 25-10-2008, 07:37   #6

FNV: thanks for the feedback

Also do you know if they are pricing the Admiral's in Rand or just Euro/USD ?
Paul
Old 25-10-2008, 07:40   #7
fvn

Quote:
Also do you know if they are pricing the Admiral's in Rand or just Euro/USD ?
Paul
My contract is in USD and payable in USD in Usa bank and/or SA bank.
Old 25-10-2008, 07:51   #8

Admiral comparisons

How does the Admiral 50 stack up to other semi-customizable world cruising Cats. Our short list includes:
St Francis 50, Admiral 50, Voyage 50, Broadblue 46, Dean 44, PDQ 44, Absolut 50, Catana 471.
Given a choice we would also prefer shaft drives.
What else should we consider?
Paul and Maureen
Old 26-10-2008, 08:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Thanks
Paul and Maureen
Quality and workmanship on the St Francis 50 is a of a lot higher standard that the Admiral cats but so is the price. both are well constructed and both are designed by Angelo Lavranos . a good yacht designer that I have worked with for over 7 years.
Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 09:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvn View Post
I am not an expert but I surely learn that a boat is always a compromise. Enjoy the good and learn to live with bad. You can get used to the boat. In eleven years sailing we spent probably only 150 days out at sea and the rest at anchor and another 150 in marinas and/or yard. Security is first but then comes comfort at anchor.
Let analyze what usually people talk about. South Africans cats have lower bridge deck clearance. Probably true, we are talking about inches? Only 22” instead of the 24” of competitor? Don’t make me laugh. If I can’t afford a 70’ cat (high enough from the water) and the crew to maintaining it I will have to pound sometime or wait a day or a week for a change of weather to make that passage.
European big productions boats ? Don’t let me mention names but I have been in all of them at the show. Probably good project but build at the cheapest. Cheap panel of compressed wood with formica and cabinets with hinges that would not last more than a month of opening or even one time opening in rough seas. Every piece mounted with visible screws and unfinished edges. (you don’t see that in the brochure pictures) Engines room where I would put the designer, builder and vendor to change filter and impeller for all their life instead enjoying with tie and sun glasses at the show. Cheap ss and canvas bimini at prices ten times higher that the equivalent and better made jobs you can have in Trinidad now.
Admiral was the perfect compromise (for me) of spacious well design interior. Comfortable deck to work on. New improved system to lift up the dinghy. Easy access to all electric, plumbing and mechanics. Comfortable targa bar with hard top. Semicustom to suite all your needs.
Why they are no present in Europe. I don’t know but the first available was end of 2009 and I choose a 2010 slot. Probably small factories like this are not ready for the European market. Have you ever seen a Manta at a European boat show?
By the way. Answering to Catalysis the Admiral 50 is a complete custom build cat which involve participation of the owner in all important decision for interior etc.
I was at the Annapolis show as well. You seem to be describing the Lagoon's. Did you see the Catana 50?. I did not get a sense of cheap woodwork and poor fit and finish in the Antares 44, The Dolphin 46 or the Leopard 46 were a little bit of a step down from the quality of the Antares 44 it seems. A few of the smaller cats were so ugly that I did not bother stepping aboard. I forgot the manufacturers name.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 09:34   #11
fvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I was at the Annapolis show as well. You seem to be describing the Lagoon's. Did you see the Catana 50?. I did not get a sense of this in the Antares 44 either. I did not get a sense of cheapness at all about this boat as well as a couple other manufacturers.
I completely agree with you but they are not my size and budget of boat. I did not even go to see the Antares because I saw one before (and I loved her) but.... I was looking for MY BOAT and not only dream about.... but you are right.
I could not find anything better around 40 ft. I am very surprise about quality of South African production. Before making decision I spoke to at least other three proud Admiral’s owners.
About Lagoon and FP (I did not want to make names but finally I did) I can say that photographer, publicity and charter business makes miracles on the market. Off course I am not talking about older production as I am a new on multihulls.
Somewhere in another thread there was a discussion of someone that wants a L440 but is afraid of the “second story” …. I would be horrified. Come on! Cats are already condominiums but at least let’s avoid to make them multifloors !!!!!!!!!!!! Soon we will have an elevator and we will forget that boats should sail at sea and sometime you find bad weather too. But if you need a condo at the beach just buy a condo at the beach and save marina marinas expenses.
Old 26-10-2008, 09:46   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Congratulations on your Admiral 40. They do look like a really nice boat. Because of your post, I am adding the Admiral 50 to my list of possible boats.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 10:27   #13

Boat: 1990 Morgan 41 Classic
Just a reminder that all Admiral Owners and those interested in the Admiral should stop by the Admiral Owners web site Admiral Catamaran Owners Association site

Cheers!
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 12:38   #14

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I agree with Gideons remarks. The African cat, St Francis and Admiral are all Lavranos designs. The difference would be things like the stipled polyurethane finish on an admiral (which I have by the way) versus a more refined finish or smooth interior or veneer. I can mention that the stipled finish is both easy to clean in that you can wipe off permanent marker, but it's also much more difficult to keep free from mold.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 16:32   #15
DtM

Saw an Admiral 50 in Refuge Bay over the weekend.

Very beamy but I was surprised that the saloon was not wider. The same could be said of the St Francis 50 I sailed on 6 months ago.

A lot of boat but not great use of available space in my view.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote