Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Adding Equipment Price?

We have found a catamaran that we are considering buying. It has pretty much everything we could want with a few exceptions. The price is near the top of our budget, but, since we would have to add very little to the boat, it may work.

I'm hoping someone could give me at least an approx price range for a few features.

1. The boat does not have solar. I know that we won't have a good idea how many panels we would need until we actually got the boat, and started seeing how much electricity we use. (we will be full time live aboard cruisers, and we plan on anchoring the vast majority of the time) It's a 48 ft. It has all LED lighting, and 12 volt refrigeration. (just to give you an idea. ) It has 2 x engine batteries, 1 x generator battery and 6 x 210amp/hr Northstar AGM deep cycle house batteries, so I don't think we will need to add batteries. So, can you give me an idea of cost of equipment? (price range for panels, both flexible and rigid.. also any additional items) We have remodeled our entire house, so we should be able to manage the installation ok, but, if someone has recently had solar install by someone, I'd love to hear how much it cost for labor.

2. The boat also doesn't have wind generator. We may not need that at all, but, I'd like to know the approx price if we decide to do that in addition or instead of solar.

3. We also are interested in upgrading the depth finder to one of the newer ones that allow you to see forward. the boat already has a full array of garment navigation equipment including depth finder. So, I'm assuming that we can use all the existing transducers as long as they are working and in good repair. Any idea how much the new units cost?

4. And lastly, all the lines are led to the cockpit, but its a little tight for double handling. I'm thinking I may want to run some of the lines to the opposite side of the boat. I would need one electric winch, but not sure how much a full unit costs. We will probably need someone to install that, and I also have little to no idea what installation entails or what to expect on that.

I know it is always difficult to determine these things, but I'm hoping that someone has some experience with this at least give some idea, as our bid would have to take these things into consideration.

Thanks in advance!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:37   #2

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Adding Equipment Price?

Hi Scarlet,

You can search the internet for most of these things. You asked for ball park figures, so here goes. Keep in mind that there will be lots of suggestions on less expensive options, more expensive options, and why you shouldn't go sailing in the first place

1. We spent around $1000 for six 100w Renogy panels, wiring, and connectors. Victron controllers were around $450. https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...gateway&sr=8-4

2. Don't have one, but look up Silent Wind, etc..

3. A forward looking depth sounder will require a new transducer. Most transducers are made by Airmar. Here's a cheapie solution from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945

4. An example of an electric winch (installation and cabling will add to the cost) : https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hark...-kits-aluminum
Our electric winch is similar.

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06   #3

-Last I heard forward looking sonar have mixed reviews, require a big hole in the boat, and especially with a shallow draft cat may be something you really dont need. At any rate, keep your normal sounder also.
-I found a wind gen more trouble than it's worth, vibrates etc, but can be nice in the right anchorage if it's windy for days. Spend the money on a watermaker?
-Sail the boat a bit before making decisions on the lines led aft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Hi Scarlet,

You can search the internet for most of these things. You asked for ball park figures, so here goes. Keep in mind that there will be lots of suggestions on less expensive options, more expensive options, and why you shouldn't go sailing in the first place

1. We spent around $1000 for six 100w Renogy panels, wiring, and connectors. Victron controllers were around $450. https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...gateway&sr=8-4

2. Don't have one, but look up Silent Wind, etc..

3. A forward looking depth sounder will require a new transducer. Most transducers are made by Airmar. Here's a cheapie solution from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945

4. An example of an electric winch (installation and cabling will add to the cost) : https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hark...-kits-aluminum
Our electric winch is similar.

Cheers,
This is very helpful. I'm surprised that the solar is that inexpensive. In comparison to the price of the boat, it's pocket change...
Old 05-06-2019, 10:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
-Last I heard forward looking sonar have mixed reviews, require a big hole in the boat, and especially with a shallow draft cat may be something you really dont need. At any rate, keep your normal sounder also.
-I found a wind gen more trouble than it's worth, vibrates etc, but can be nice in the right anchorage if it's windy for days. Spend the money on a watermaker?
-Sail the boat a bit before making decisions on the lines led aft.
I didn't know that about the forward looking sonar. I like redundancy, so while I'll be upfront directing around reefs, it's good to have my husband also see whats going on. I'm going to look into that more.

as far as the wind generator... the reason I asked is that there isn't a lot of space on the coach roof for solar, we can put some on the davits. But if we didn't feel we had enough, then we would have to consider adding a wind generator.

we are very lucky that this boat has a water maker.. so we will only have to worry about maintenance on that.

As far as the sail plan.. I definitely know I will need to redo it. The mainsail halyard and winch is up on the mast. If we have to drop the sail, I don't want to have to run forward especially if the weather or water is rough.

and, the winches are on the side of the coach roof, and there aren't even any handholds there. fine for a nice weather sailing day.. but if things were rough, I'd rather be safely in the cockpit. As it is, we will have to add handholds, which would help.. but I'm big into preventative safety.

That being said, we would sail it a bit to get an idea of how we want things run.

good information.. so thank you.
Old 05-06-2019, 16:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
We have one of these:

https://echopilot.com/products/fls-2d/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNg84nKI_gvBkylaGLJu lZ72eufU2n-l26q76exGw21iXCZBuEkcnqxoCQgIQAvD_BwE

The standard transducer is quite compact and only requires a 35mm through hull.

It works quite well, particularly poking around in coral reef anchorages.

It's not so good in shallow water, can only "see" forward around 4 to 5 times the depth.

I'd rate it as useful, but not essential. When we're poking around in coral it's only in daylight and always with a lookout on the bow.

In terms of Watts per dollar, solar is far cheaper than wind generation. It's also completely silent and has no moving parts, requires zero maintenance aside from keeping the panels reasonably clean.

Of course, solar doesn't work at night. But wind generation doesnt work in calm weather, and needs quite fresh breeze to work well.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:24   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

It might help to mention which 48’ you’re looking at; you might solicit ideas for mounting Solar you’d not considered.

I’d skip the wind genny; still makes noise, and with good solar you won’t need it. 90% of those I know on cast wish they’d put the $ elsewhere (see below!)

I’d skip the sonar. Radar & AIS transponder, EPIRB, Iridium Go https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/

Best $ usage would be in order of priority:

1. good sails if you need them: square top main, nice Genoa with uv strip
2. Bow sprit with Code 0 on a furler OR spinnaker/sock if not
3. Solar (on arch or Bimini...)
4. Region lithium batteries if you can afford them

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:41   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Watch out for shadows on solar when adding a wind gen. Ours hampers the solar output way more than it contributes in sunny locations like the Caribbean. But when in overcast areas with little solar power (were in Ireland right now), the wind gen is worth all its deficiencies.

Small piece of advice - If sailing in the trade winds, add the wind gen to the port side of the boat. You're typically anchoring into the East (prodominte wind) and the solar will be less shadowed by the wind gen on port side.

Matt
Old 06-06-2019, 05:58   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
.........snip.....

Small piece of advice - If sailing in the trade winds, add the wind gen to the port side of the boat. You're typically anchoring into the East (prodominte wind) and the solar will be less shadowed by the wind gen on port side.

Matt
Even though I wouldn’t use a wind genny, *that’s* a great tip I’d never heard before; bravo!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men, price