found the post from Ogletree in regards sprit installation
on his 401:
I installed a 5' x 6" Carbon bowsprit on the front beam of my 401. I use is for a Code 0 with a Vectran luff rope
on a Facnor continuous line furler
. I also use the sprit for an asymmetrical spinnaker
. The sprit works great.
The sprit has a Delrin plug
on the inboard in with a hole in the center. I have a mainsail
boom gooseneck fitting mounted on the front beam with a male prod fitting that the pole slides onto. The compression
of the pole keeps it on and it is easy to remove when needed.
I had holes drilled through the bows just above the waterline and a G-10 tube glassed in from the inside. This area was reinforced and faired. To access this from the inside we put inspection
plates forward inside the bow lockers. The Spectra martingale lines are simply spliced through these tubes; very clean, light and no metal. This is how mosy bobstays are installed on race
In regards to sheeting the Code 0, I also use the symmetrical spinnaker sheets
, but I use a twing/barberhaul system to pull the sheet down when sailing broad angles. This is like moving the lead foward to make the sail more efficient. This allows a wide range of sailing angles with a Code 0.
For the halyard
I installed a masthead halyard
. This gives a lot of extra sail area for light air upwind and light to medium air reaching.
I work for sail designer
for Ullman Sails
so I have a lot of experience with these types of sails
. They are a huge improvement in performance and well worth it.
Catana 401 "Kaya""