Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 16:29   #1

Acte Marine 42' Polynesia

Hi,

Fiancé and I just saw this boat for what looks to be a fairly reasonable price. Free Will

1990 ACTE MARINE Polynesia Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We don't know a great deal about cats but we asked for extra info and got an owners survey back which doesn't look too bad either. Does anyone have any experience with these cats (I know they were bought out by Catana but there is not much info I can find about them). Also, if anyone knows anything about this specific boat I'd appreciate a PM.

We are planning a year of cruising for 2017 and this looks pretty good for that.

Thanks
Grant
AquaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 17:46   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Acte Marine 42' Polynesia

One was for sale on ebay,,, sold for very cheap but needed alot of work. Had water squishing out of the deck, check moisture levels around deck hardware and penetrations.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 18:13   #3

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

AquaGeo, price is very seductive. On the surface it seems to be too good to be true. Many of the pictures seems to reveal a "liveable" boat, ya? So, that is your first warning to your gut feeling. Where are you currently residing? You have two-three options. Fly down and get a good look for half a day poking your head into every nook and crannie. Then you will "absolutely" have to get a full marine survey. They ain't cheap. Boat has to be pulled out of the water. What if there is terrible osmosis? What if the outdrives are shot or severe marine galvanization? What if the engines are really a mess? What if there major issues with delamination and rot in the core? What if the decks are spongy? Boats at this price point can be a ticking time bomb for the uninitiated. You don't want to be that poor sap who buys the deal of a lifetime only to find out later that it was the owner who escaped the nightmare on elm street of a boat. It happens every friggin day in the boating world. As the Romans were want to say: Caveat emptor (buyer beware)
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 18:31   #4

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Aqua Geo, eating dinner and drinking wine....smile...forgot the other two options.

Before you fly down...get the marine survey done. Will save you the price of the ticket. If you do fly down get a good broker to get you a look at other boats while you are there. You should know that east coast of florida is a land of plenty situation. Very wealthy area and many very nice boats. Some people believe that boats in this area might be a little bit on the high end.

Sometimes you can get a local CF member to check a boat out for you...initial inspection type of thing. Of course if it is the deal of the century they may buy it before you see it....he he he...

Bottom line...you should be very aware that buying a boat is like walking through a mine field. Many on the forum can share stories of dishonest brokers, flat out liars, and smile in your face owners who know that there are severe issues that they will not tell you about.

Best of luck and let us know how the survey turned out. It is not so we can smile and "told you so" type of thing. It is just a general knowledge thing and keeps people informed. Hoping you have a positive outcome. Sometimes people get darned lucky and find a great boat for an unbelievable price.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 18:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Doubt it's ready for a full year of cruising without a good bit of work
Old 26-11-2016, 18:49   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Sometimes you can get a local CF member to check a boat out for you...initial inspection type of thing.
Well, just so happens the wife and I looked at this cat in Marco about 2 months ago. Nope, no danger in us buying it out from under you. In fact, we couldn't get off of it fast enough.

It is small for a 42', course that is what you would expect in a faster cat. But Im talking head cracking small, I almost knocked myself out coming from the galley (down) back up into the saloon.

Everyone is different and has different levels of OK. For us, interior wise, the saloon was the only part livable. Everything else would have to be redone! But again, each has different levels of acceptance.

Weird I know but we had just stepped off a 41 Morgan that appeared much roomier than this cat..

If I can find the Broker's card I will pass the info along. He was very upfront, after having shown us 4 boats and gotten a feel for us, in saying "I didn't think you were going to like it. But since we were in the same Marina looking at the Morgan I thought I would let you take a look."

PS: It was apparently bought as a "flip" but isn't working out so well for the present owner.

Edit: Forgot to say that we wished it looked as good as the pics make it look..
Old 26-11-2016, 18:51   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Doubt it's ready for a full year of cruising without a good bit of work
That is a fact!
Old 26-11-2016, 19:09   #8

Hi All,

Thanks for the response, we tought it looked a bit too good, and TBH I had reservations. Flying over is not really an option as I am in Australia, but we'll be heading up in early 2017 anyway so if it's still available we might just have a visit then. I noticed it was on ebay for 157k a bit over a year ago but had never heard of Acte Marine, aparrently there were only 15 made and this is one of the 'Feeble' performers (Multihlls Word Review) both under engine and sail.

Thanks for letting us know, It is becoming more and more clear that we really need to actually be there to be comfortable laying down that kind of money.

Thanks again.

Grant
Old 27-11-2016, 09:09   #9

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I think the Polynesia 42 was once called Caraïbe 37. May be that where are small changes in the plans or not. The original caraïbe 37 was built by a yard in La Rochelle/France who was going bankrupcy in 1987 or 1988. I was interested in the Caraïbe 37 but finally did not go forward as I had no trust in the company.

Later she was built as a Polynesia 42 by a yard in Port Saint Louis du Rhône but this yard finished also in a financial desaster

I think that is the reason why one CF member found the Polynesia 42 a little to small for the size. At home from where I am mow about 4000 SM away I have still an article from the magazine multihulls about the caraïbe 37, this one built by the yard in La Rochelle, with conclusion that she has good sailing abilities but a lot of things to fix by the 1st owner as the finish of the boat and equipment let to desire.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I think SailormanEd on cf has one or something similar
Old 27-11-2016, 14:27   #11

Thanks,

Onavegador, that is quite interesting, and makes a lot of sense given only 15 were made, I actually found an old article which poopoo'd the short mast and underpowered engines. I think I had mostly talked myself out of it before posting, but could not resist posting to make sure I wasn't being irrational. As it seemed a bit like a friends Seawind from the pictures and their boat is lovely.

I also really appreciate all the fast responses and hive mind wisdom of the forum thanks all!

Love and Respect
Grant
Old 28-11-2016, 05:46   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

AuaGeo, we did buy one a couple years ago and finally going cruising with it. We bought it as a project boat and that it was. Keep in mind that these have shown up listed as a 12m, a 40 ft and also a 42 ft and I believe are all the same boat, 39 ft 3 in ( 12m)
PLUSES
  1. inexpensive for the amount of space
  2. well equiped, high quality hardware ( at least on ours)
  3. excellent engine access
  4. lots of storage in the hulls
CONS
  1. a little underpowered sail wise, not a big issue for us
  2. ours had Yanmar 2GM20, OK for getting in and out but the larger 3GM would be a better fit, there is plenty of room for them
  3. decks were balsa cored and there was a lot of rot, expect to have to recore at least some of it
  4. wiring was undersize and not tinned copper, we have been replacing as we go along
  5. Diesel tanks were aluminum, expect to replace or "wrap" the bottoms - one of ours had just started to leak, probably not uncommon for an older boat.
  6. Hatches were all Goiot - good quality but the plastic handles will need to be replaced. We found the best price from a supplier in France, quick delivery for a low cost.
  7. Roller furler was Goiot - nice quality but virtually impossible to get apart for any servicing.
We got one with the engines and saildrives replaced, (ours had 600 hr each). Our tramp was nearly new ( a big expense) and sails in good condition, all running rigging was new. I am very handy and this has still been a project for me but it is a great liveaboard and should be a very good Bahamas boat. Also keep in mind, these boats are WIDE and limits your haulout options, also a little tighter getting into some places. Draft on our loaded for cruising is 4 ft.

PM me if you have specific questions. We are currently in FL, headed for the Bahamas. Ed

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:11   #13

Awesome info all thanks
Old 18-12-2018, 08:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
AuaGeo, we did buy one a couple years ago and finally going cruising with it. We bought it as a project boat and that it was. Keep in mind that these have shown up listed as a 12m, a 40 ft and also a 42 ft and I believe are all the same boat, 39 ft 3 in ( 12m)
PLUSES
  1. inexpensive for the amount of space
  2. well equiped, high quality hardware ( at least on ours)
  3. excellent engine access
  4. lots of storage in the hulls
CONS
  1. a little underpowered sail wise, not a big issue for us
  2. ours had Yanmar 2GM20, OK for getting in and out but the larger 3GM would be a better fit, there is plenty of room for them
  3. decks were balsa cored and there was a lot of rot, expect to have to recore at least some of it
  4. wiring was undersize and not tinned copper, we have been replacing as we go along
  5. Diesel tanks were aluminum, expect to replace or "wrap" the bottoms - one of ours had just started to leak, probably not uncommon for an older boat.
  6. Hatches were all Goiot - good quality but the plastic handles will need to be replaced. We found the best price from a supplier in France, quick delivery for a low cost.
  7. Roller furler was Goiot - nice quality but virtually impossible to get apart for any servicing.
We got one with the engines and saildrives replaced, (ours had 600 hr each). Our tramp was nearly new ( a big expense) and sails in good condition, all running rigging was new. I am very handy and this has still been a project for me but it is a great liveaboard and should be a very good Bahamas boat. Also keep in mind, these boats are WIDE and limits your haulout options, also a little tighter getting into some places. Draft on our loaded for cruising is 4 ft.

PM me if you have specific questions. We are currently in FL, headed for the Bahamas. Ed

Hi Ed, I'm also curious about this. A bit worried about headroom in the saloon and cabins. I'm 6'4". What do you think? Will I be able to stand up straight?
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 03:51   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaGeo View Post
----------------snip----------------

Thanks for letting us know, It is becoming more and more clear that we really need to actually be there to be comfortable laying down that kind of money.

Thanks again.

Grant
Good move, Grant. Moments/threads like this prove how invaluable this forum and these list members are to the sailing community!

Your comment, "...laying down that kind of money," is an understatement. We've owned 3 trimarans and we're searching for our retirement cat, which we'll not live aboard, but spend a few months at a time cruising with a home base. Not wealthy, didn't win the lotto and won't sell our house to buy a boat, but we've been saving and can finance the balance. Truth be told, if you want a boat to live aboard and sail anywhere beyond 50 miles, you're probably going to spend a chunk more than the boat you just discussed!

Cats are at a premium, esp after the storms and the thousands of insurance checks that folks handed over for new and all the used cats out there. Keep saving, keep learning, and try to narrow down from the "wow, that looks cool," to "yep, this will do us nicely."

And keep asking the forum family; you won't go wrong if you go slow, take all the steps they recommend, and if you don't force it, you'll find the right boat at the right moment.

Best of luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine