Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31   #1

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
A Very Exciting Holiday & Adventure

Hi everyone and a have a good 07.
Well we, the other half, and I have been on a very exciting holiday. Forget your first transatlantic orcircum nav ( no disrespect ) but this is bigger than that.

Some may remember we purchased our HT 26 some months ago, in Mallorca & site unseen. (Gasps of horror)

Well on our first holiday for 5 years and first visit to Mallorca since our honymoon (25 yrs ago)and after a lot of difficulty getting there in the off season.We finally made it.

Arrival Porto Colom in rain on 15th December and booked into a small Hostal overlooking the harbour. (sort off)

Boats in a boatyard somewhere and nobody speaks English, on the suddgestion of the Taxi Driver we go and check out a couple of places and finally find it . It's closed for the weekend.
The taxi driver knows the name of one of the guy's who runs it and suggest I go the the Nautica bar as thats where sailors go this time of year.
In I pops, full bar, no Spanish with me , no English with them. I finally got every one quiet explaining it was an emergency and upon anouncing the name, left quicky, with some embarisment as no one knew him.
Sat and Sunday spent in good weather enjoying the harbour , food and af course a couple of wets.
We had seen that the opening hours were 9 - 1 and 3 - 6 ( I think) so fist thing on Monday morning of we go. As this was the only Taxi driver working at that time of the year, she knew where to go and somewhat bemused as the place was closed, she brought us right back to the Hotel.
HOWEVER
We got a phone number from the yard, office door, and went on a crash course of how to use a spanish call box.
Yes the yard was open but he was on his breakfast break and wouldn't be there until 11.
Phoned the Taxi agin.
We got there at 11 exact and as we got out the cab he pulled up.
Of course first meeting with the yard owner of your boat , must act professional, within 5 had verbal diorr--a, what we were going to do for the next 2 years, work we must have done etc., and hadn't seen the boat yet.
Well we finally got on board Patricia Mary.
After the normal expetives about how big she really was since our last craft ( until you actually see those after cabins for yourself you can never realise how big they are) we finally settled down to a bottle of wine. By one the wine was gone and it was time to leave.

For the rest of the day, again verbal to almost anyone we met, even the hotel cat, didn't seem to matter. We were the proud owners of an HT, she was in pretty good condition ( Needs TLC of course) filled with all sorts of goodies that wern't in the pics or the adverts, sat nav, gps, weather fax,dingy outboard, but more to the point we had been on board and she was now ours.

We spent two more days visiting before the yard closed for Christmas ( another story ) but it was enough.

A great holiday all round.

Best regards all.

PS If you whant details about Poto Colom let me know.
Old 11-01-2007, 14:43   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jackstee,
Good for you!! I don't know what an HT26 is but good you finally got to meet her.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:32   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Jackstee,
Good for you!! I don't know what an HT26 is but good you finally got to meet her.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Heavenly Twins 26... Designed and built by the late great Pat Patterson

First cat I ever sailed was her big sister... Star Twins 34

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote