Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 21:12   #1

A singlehanding question (Manta vs. others)

This question popped in my head when discussing another thread. Ability to single hand is important to me. Can anyone express an opinion on how hard this is to do for a Island Spirit/FP/Lagoon etc. versus the Manta.

Manta seems to really want to make life easy to short or single hand with the way the lines are lead and the self-tacking jib. I've never single handed a cat so I just don't know.

Opinions would be great.
monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 22:43   #2

single handed sailor

I was a single handed sailor for five years before I met another one, we had some things in common, we couldnt get along with someone on board,we built our own boat around the rigging and sheet lines, along with some emotional problems that just led us to sail alone, a single handed sailor was a rare breed at one time, with the world changing more souls are seeking solance alone on the sea. my system was to rig all sheet lines on starboard, nav on port, remember you are alone!!! you should be able to tact without having to move more than four feet and be still tied in.
salvor111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:37   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
If you belive the company line that Manta is designed to be sailed by a middle aged couple, you have some idea of how easy it is to singlehand the boat. Not only are all control lines led to the cockpit, but they are led to the helm area of the cockpit so lines can be adjusted without leaving the helm. The reefing lines are also led to the cockpit, so that reefs can either be taken or shaken out easilly. I believe that if you have to leave the helm area to adjust sails, the boat is more difficult, and perhaps less safe to singlehand. The self tacking Jib means that in order to tack the boat all you have to do is turn the wheel. The boom brake controls the swing of the boom and properly set changes the rig killing slam of that (accidental) jibe to an easy maneuver. Single handing a Manta is, with preparation, a piece of cake, but sailing with someone you love is priceless.

Richard Eisen
S/V Perseverance
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta, singlehanding