Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 07:55   #1

A simple, dumb question.

Hello, all. I'm looking at the F-P site, admiring the photos and artwork. One piece in particular, I find to be a true work of art. This is the artist's rendering of the FP Lavezzi 40, in side view. But then I noticed something that has me completely baffled. I'm sure one of you wise folks can straighten me out directly.

At the waterline in the sketch, there are numbers. It starts with "1" at the bow and counts back in sequence to the stern, where "24" appears. This would appear to be a scale of length. But 24 (or more properly, 23, as a scale would start with 0 rather than 1) would fit for neither feet nor meters. Am I to understand some other unit of measure? Or is it not a scale at all, but some other convention used in the drafting of technical work for boats? Whatever the answer, I'm sure it's simple. (Like me! )

Oh, almost forgot. Here's a link: LAVEZZI 40

Hope all is well with y'all. And happy new year!
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 08:02   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Depending on the conventions used by the architect they'd be either frame or station numbers. Stations are normally, and I'll probably be corrected, at equal intervals, where frames are spaced according to their actual position within the hull along the length of the vessel.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 12:58   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Almost certainly frame numbers. Given that 40' is approximately 12m and there are 24 of them, probably 500mm spaced frames...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote