Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2015, 12:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: A sailing cat without a mast - Blesphemy?

I did some looking, and one of the issue you will need to address is that most sailing cats only carry a fraction the fuel of a power cat. Where a power can may carry 1000L of fuel a sailing cat may be closer to 350L. This will greatly effect range under power and generator usage while at anchor.

I doubt it is an insurmountable issue, but is something you will need to address.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:28   #17

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I saw just what you want, she sits on the hard at Georgetown Yacht Basin in Maryland. She was for sale last October and is a Fountain Pajot, might be just what you want.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:32   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl

I think this idea has a lot of merit based on the facts that you've presented, and I don't think that a power cat, presuming it was affordable, is necessarily better.

I spent a very enjoyable week on a 45' Leopard ex-charter cat going from Key West to Ft. Lauderdale with six on board. The owner, a marine company CEO, had pulled the mast so that we could pass under the causeway at will, which allowed us to do more charting research that if we had a mast in place.

We had two exceedingly old Yanmars that were probably around 75hp, and the boat moved along well, perhaps because it was a little lighter and had far less windage.

My point is that this was a perfectly acceptable cruising platform, and the fuel consumption will be very reasonable, and you can go places that you might not be able to go otherwise.

Chuck
Old 10-03-2015, 14:48   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Dirty little secret: most sailors motor most of the time if they are actually trying to get somewhere. It's a well known fact that if your destination is to the north the wind will come from the north. If you give up & head for a destination that's due east the wind will shift & come straight out of the east. It's known as the MFBS effect. They won't admit it but it's true.
Old 10-03-2015, 15:38   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Take your wife on a cat crewed charter, sail. If she still does not like it get a Trawler Cat. You are in Fl. Endevour Cat is around Tampa. their 36 Trawler Cat would probably light her fire.
Old 10-03-2015, 16:07   #21
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I have been carefully eying sailing cats for the past year or so. They seem to offer the best of what I am looking for in my next boat - multiple cabins, large spacious saloon, shallow draft and plenty of room on deck. Here is the issue though...

I don't sail. Never have and while it remotely interests me, my wife wants no part of it say it's too slow and takes too much work. We currently cruise at around 8kts. so I would hope to get something similar by way of speed.

Our current motor yacht is great but the layout of a cat is just too hard to pass up.

My thoughts would be to buy a cat, remove the mast and just run on the engine(s). If I got the bug to sail I could put the mast back up.

Does this make a remote bit of sense?
So your motor yacht is great and power cats cost too much. I think you have your answer. Stick with your motor yacht.
Old 10-03-2015, 17:02   #22

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And they roll like pigs in the smallest swell.. took a 37ftr down the Portuguese coast to Peniche with the mast lashed to the c/roof.. no wind.. and not a ripple.. the owner was terrified we'd lose the mast..
Yeah, but my 42 ft trawler rolls like a pig in beam seas also. Sailboat on beam reach happy as a clam. Me trying to find a heading that won't make me turn green. Power cat must be better.
Old 10-03-2015, 17:35   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Dirty little secret: most sailors motor most of the time if they are actually trying to get somewhere. It's a well known fact that if your destination is to the north the wind will come from the north. If you give up & head for a destination that's due east the wind will shift & come straight out of the east. It's known as the MFBS effect. They won't admit it but it's true.
For the longest time I thought my anemometer was the compass. The true and apparent wind arrows always point directly ahead.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:42   #24

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So your motor yacht is great and power cats cost too much. I think you have your answer. Stick with your motor yacht.
No, I think you missed my point. My motor yacht was cheaper to purchase than an equivalent year power cat.

I bought my current M/Y when it was 15 years old and sail cats are in the same price range. To buy a 15 year old power cat I would be looking at spending twice what I paid for my boat.
Old 10-03-2015, 18:08   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
20,000 miles and 1000 engine hours. We can't motor at anywhere near 20 knots, so we must be sailing a little!
Old 10-03-2015, 18:39   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Take your wife on a cat crewed charter, sail. If she still does not like it get a Trawler Cat. You are in Fl. Endevour Cat is around Tampa. their 36 Trawler Cat would probably light her fire.

A cat crewed charter would be interesting indeed. Just don't bring your dog along!
Old 10-03-2015, 18:44   #27

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

Doesn't PDQ make a power cat?
Old 10-03-2015, 18:46   #28
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
No, I think you missed my point. My motor yacht was cheaper to purchase than an equivalent year power cat.

I bought my current M/Y when it was 15 years old and sail cats are in the same price range. To buy a 15 year old power cat I would be looking at spending twice what I paid for my boat.
My point was, if your current boat is great and you can't afford something that might be better, you might as well keep what you have.

If power cats are more expensive than sailing cats, look at why. There has to be a reason.
Old 10-03-2015, 19:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
Doesn't PDQ make a power cat?
They use to make two power cats a 34ft and a 41ft.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:20   #30

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My point was, if your current boat is great and you can't afford something that might be better, you might as well keep what you have.

If power cats are more expensive than sailing cats, look at why. There has to be a reason.

Gotcha. I'm only looking at initial purchase costs and figure that the operating costs are what they are so that is not a factor to me.

I looked at the Trawler Cat and in the used range they are $300K.

Tags
mast, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: