Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 09:07   #31

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Re: A new breed of sailor?

This cat is kind of "Falcon maltese".. all electronic...
I know that kind of guy, they want to change a combustion internal engine for a sail one..
I'm one of these.. unfortunately cost an arm, a leg... and the rest..
At today economy and even technology.. that are very expensive solutions... but feasible
Old 15-12-2014, 09:08   #32

Option to a cat: if $ are too much for a Cat, option is to sail a pilothouse or raised salon type mono. You don't HAVE to sail at a heavy heel.... run minimal sail area, motorsail up wind, sail when on a reach or downwind. Pretty much what I've been doing for years... unless I'm just in the mood to beat upwind for pure joy of it.
The other important thing is to get a beamy mono with great initial stability.... much better if you don't like heeling than an older narrow beam design.
One old example would be the old Folkboat... narrow and heavily ballasted (~50%!), although heavily ballasted they heel immediately and then get in the groove at maybe 20 degrees of heel. That's not what you want!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:37   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Option to a cat: if $ are too much for a Cat, option is to sail a pilothouse or raised salon type mono. You don't HAVE to sail at a heavy heel.... run minimal sail area, motorsail up wind, sail when on a reach or downwind. Pretty much what I've been doing for years... unless I'm just in the mood to beat upwind for pure joy of it.
The other important thing is to get a beamy mono with great initial stability.... much better if you don't like heeling than an older narrow beam design.
One old example would be the old Folkboat... narrow and heavily ballasted (~50%!), although heavily ballasted they heel immediately and then get in the groove at maybe 20 degrees of heel. That's not what you want!
Just for full disclosure....... ahem.. We do have a Colvic Watson in the family..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:56   #34

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I'm talking about bringing in all the wetness/water.

If you think the lines will always be neatly and only in the pockets/bins, well..........

And hope in a dismasting scenario that all the ropes part before that carbón winch station start flying to the sky!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:49   #35

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
And hope in a dismasting scenario that all the ropes part before that carbón winch station start flying to the sky!!!
It has dismasting sensors and an automated hatchet that chop off the lines, faster than a human can do it..

I love technology and innovation, but this is just complexity layered onto complexity, nothing innovative at all.
If you want real progress, you would go with a wingsail, they actual SIMPLIFY sailing. They just need the reefing problem solved for a cruising boat.
Old 15-12-2014, 13:26   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Just for full disclosure....... ahem.. We do have a Colvic Watson in the family..

Pretty sure if you came out for a sail with us I could turn you back into a mono sailor.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 13:43   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Pretty sure if you came out for a sail with us I could turn you back into a mono sailor.
Here is where I am at with sailing. Love sailing. Love Motor vessels. Love Motorsailers, love Nonsuch yachts and Love catamarans.

Just like Boats and the water. Also like Canal cruising.

I prefer Catamarans but would have one of these in a heartbeat.

Old 15-12-2014, 19:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
It has dismasting sensors and an automated hatchet that chop off the lines, faster than a human can do it..

I love technology and innovation, but this is just complexity layered onto complexity, nothing innovative at all.
If you want real progress, you would go with a wingsail, they actual SIMPLIFY sailing. They just need the reefing problem solved for a cruising boat.
yes I think thats right
Im a little surprised they didnt take advantage of a modern simplified rig
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 19:06   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Here is where I am at with sailing. Love sailing. Love Motor vessels. Love Motorsailers, love Nonsuch yachts and Love catamarans.

Just like Boats and the water. Also like Canal cruising.

I prefer Catamarans but would have one of these in a heartbeat.

Of course! That's a given. We're talking personal choice here. Just found it interesting how many things on your list were on ours.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 19:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

Just make them sacrificial, when the wind pipes up it breaks off at certain levels up the mast!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 20:03   #41

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Weavis, methinks you should see Dr Boatman about this condition. Perhaps in consultation with Dr Dockhead (as soon as his gin tank is fitted) you can develop a course of treatment that will be effective. This preference for electronic winches however may be beyond modern science. As a short term treatment just run a halyard from the mast head to a dock cleat...take some tension and set a list..leave it that way until it feels normal.
Best wishes on your recovery!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 21:11   #42

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

A new breed of airline pilot - I once heard a last blackbox recording from a fatal airline disaster. The pilot and co-pilot were arguing about what was wrong with the electronics...then dead silence. The plane had manual backup which they didn't use.

Total isolation from sensitivity to the relationship between manual skills, sensitivity to machine and nature.
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 00:06   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian W. View Post
A new breed of airline pilot - I once heard a last blackbox recording from a fatal airline disaster. The pilot and co-pilot were arguing about what was wrong with the electronics...then dead silence. The plane had manual backup which they didn't use.

Total isolation from sensitivity to the relationship between manual skills, sensitivity to machine and nature.
You drive a car dont you? Original design was open top, in the elements and less than 15 miles an hour.
Now you are isolated from the exterior by glass, Conditioned air and automated this and that. You dont need to see the engine in order to drive the vehicle. You cant see the wheels.

You dont need to see the sails. It is the method that has been used for hundreds of years simply because of the method of sailing. Change the method and the requirements change. Different sensory inputs and 'feel' are born. Sail designs will change.

I see the argument as a non starter. Sensitivity develops from within the process used to control the vessel and not from a hypothetical stance of "it has to be done this way"

The 200 foot wind vane vessels are controlled hydraulically from a wheelhouse.......
Old 17-12-2014, 16:31   #44

I came across this today. It could be the future of sailing, and would comport to what the OP was suggesting in his original post.

You know, most laymen complain of the elitist attitude of sailers. Reading this thread just reinforces that stereotype. Not everyone seeks perfection in sailing or finely tunes their boats for maximum performance. Many folks just sail, mostly by just feel, and their band of acceptable performance is very wide. There should be room for everyone, and the market will decide what it decides.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 17:49   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
All innovations meet resistance until the objections are diminished in time by the simple fact that the new project works.

I LIKE the concept. I dont want v8s strapped on the boat, I want a sailboat. At the outset I did say traditional sailors WOULD NOT LIKE IT. Its a completely different feel and approach to sailing.

The same resistance is between Multi and Mono boats. BOTH work and work well. But both camps deny the right to choice based on preference. Weird that.

In time we will be seeing this working. Im not the only one liking the concept. I could name at least 3 major manufacturers prototyping aspects of this type of setup. Broadblue have put their money into working on it. DazCats designed it. The vessel is fast and efficient and selling.

You dont have to like it. Your reasons may be logical given that you only know how to sail in the prescribed manner. When the manner changes, so do attitudes. Maybe it needs a nonsuch type rig to work really well.

Its a forward looking concept. Im with it.
I am not saying I don't like the idea. I just think there will be more wet mess than advertised.

Tags
sail