Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 07:14   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: A Catamaran question.

The table on the MC41 drops down to make an extra berth on the bridgedeck. I don't see that mentioned on the 38 but it does look like the space is there. You might be able to delete the forward berth for a head and then you will have 2 heads and accommodations for 6 for a short while anyway. Canibuls chili will now have 2 places to go.
Old 29-11-2014, 07:19   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The table on the MC41 drops down to make an extra berth on the bridgedeck. I don't see that mentioned on the 38 but it does look like the space is there. You might be able to delete the forward berth for a head and then you will have 2 heads and accommodations for 6 for a short while anyway. Canibuls chili will now have 2 places to go.
If its a single head, then I would definitely have it in its own place and not a through walk to somewhere else. Just my preference. Not a pleasant experience trying to sleep whilst someone is returning the Chili to the earth, so to speak, after walking through your stateroom.........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 07:49   #48

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My new proposed 2nd head would be accessed through the galley.
Old 29-11-2014, 08:14   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

On many production cats, esp on charter layouts, the number of heads have gotten out of control. Some of the boats I run in charter have 4 - 6 heads! On a cat I think one head midships in each hull makes a lot of sense...of course this is another of those speed robbing compromises. Some older FP's are set up this way...two heads accessible to all and for redundancy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:25   #50

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I like the heads in the end of the hulls. Particularly the bows, where the space is not the best for staterooms. On ours, there is a separate shower stall in the pointy end and the toilet and sink aft of that.

Midships for me has too many compromises - they are usually pretty tight accommodations (I am skinny and often times find myself as a contortionist pressed against things when using them), they usually can't have separate shower stalls, and they almost inevitably require fat hulls or bumpouts into the bridgedeck.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
I have seen a few GForce Schionnings come and go and the best I have been told is an average of around 12kn, but you need big bucks because realistically in 25-30kn and 3m swell if you maintain this pace things will surely break.
They will do better than that, but they are not at 40 foot which is weavis's question. as for breakages, - no Chris, you just need to build them correctly. But what some have said is so true, sustained 15 -20 knots is hard work on the crew.

Its so simple - Performance is a function of weight-displacement/waterline length/waterline hull beam/sail area

you wanna go fast - then its as long and skinny as you can afford/light as you can make it/and leave out the microwaves etc
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 13:23   #52

Boat: Catana 471

So Factor - you backed off your earlier assertion (apparently edited out) that Outremer cruising couples around the world "often" knock off 300 mile days? Smart move.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 14:05   #53

Boat: Lightwave 45

Also backed off the assertion that Attitude made 300nm per day average to Louisades. Smart move also.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 14:06   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Ok I got it.

Much as I love catamarans, I will not be able to do a 40 or sub 40 footer cruiser capable of really high speed averages in GRP or any material that will sail comfortably for the crew.

"I had a dream".........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 14:48   #55

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
you wanna go fast - then its as long and skinny as you can afford/light as you can make it/and leave out the microwaves etc
Factor was correct here.

This old adage bears repeating: of speed, comfort, and low cost, you can have 2 out of 3.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 15:05   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
So Factor - you backed off your earlier assertion (apparently edited out) that Outremer cruising couples around the world "often" knock off 300 mile days? Smart move.

2 Hulls Dave
Beat me to it.

Coops.
Old 01-12-2014, 15:20   #57
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Was just reading about an Outremer 49 that averaged a hair under 10 kts. crossing the Atlantic, almost 240 miles a day. Not bad for a 49'er, wonder what the 5x could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:52   #58

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

1983 was a good, fast year for the Newport to Ensenada race, first to finish in 10 1/2 hours was the 66ft all out racing cat Double Bullet followed only about 7 minutes later by a Macgregor 36 cat. The average speed over the course of about 125 miles was a bit under 12 knots. What is interesting about this is that the Mac 36 is about as low tech as you can get yet while a fair few multis have beaten this over the last 30 years it took until 2008 before any monohull beat the Macgregors time (only just) and that was the multimillion dollar Magnitude 80 full on race boat. The point is the conditions for high average speeds don't come along often. There have been big performance gains over the last 40 years or so but not so much with cats, the formula for speed others have already mentioned was recognized way back which is why in beach cats for example the Tornado, designed in 1966, is still as fast as any today, any improvements made in the preceding 48 years in both design and build have only achieved small gains in performance.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 21:32   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post

2 Hulls Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Also backed off the assertion that Attitude made 300nm per day average to Louisades. Smart move also.
No backing off. Just typos, I'm at sea and motion moves my ham fisted fingers around a bit typing well and satellite internet makes editing my mistakes slow.

And yes Chris, I know of a a couple of O55Ls that regularly do 300 mile days. Check out some of the owners blogs, don't take my word for it. And on the way back from the louisiades Attitude did knock off 300 mile days with just the owners (two people) aboard

But its 16.2 meters and thats a bit longer than 40 feet. And nothing broke chris.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 21:54   #60

Boat: Lightwave 45

Andrew

My statement was clear. AVERAGE 12 knots or put another way around 300nm days. There is a vast difference between occasionally knocking off 300nm days and averaging 300nm days. To do that you would have to knock of 400nm days to make up for the 100nm days. Or if you want to look at it another way Attitude would have to make Gold Coast to the Louisades in 4 days, which she clearly did not.

Further, please direct me to these owners blogs that say that they REGULARLY(your words) knock of 300nm days. Again there is a vast difference to making 300nm occasionally and regularly. If I used this criterion I could claim that a production boat runs at an average speed of 9kn because one has done a 200+ nm day now and again. This would plainly be bs.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran