Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 04:15   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: 9KW Generator

There are a lot of Helia owners on this forum. You should try to contact a few of them for recommendations. Yeloya has one in his charter fleet and could provide some insight for generator size if you send him a PM.

IMO, 11kva is way to big for a Helia. I'd lean towards a 6 and certainly no bigger than an 8. It will be surprising that you'll have 3 individual A/C units but if it does, they are going to be small units. I love the boat though and hope you have fun during and after the build process. Keep us informed.
David.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

I manage five Helia's in charter. The 9 KW is more than sufficient. The factory install is for six air conditioners and a 9kw Onan. The air conditions consist of two units in the salon and one in each cabin. If you are going with the maestro/owners version there will be two in the owners cabin.

We have one with the Onan and a 25 gallon an hour water maker and it runs both just fine. Three of our boats have the 9kw Northern Lights and they run the ac loads as well. The simplest route is to get the factory air and genset together when you order it.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 19:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I run my generator and HVAC for both heating and cooling (and other electrical loads) all the time when not at the dock. Burns 5-6 gallons in 24 hours. I sail, my wife is comfortable down below, and at night we are always comfortable in all conditions. You don't have to chose to be uncomfortable to sail. On other boats, I've sat on watch, cold, somewhat wet and uncomfortable. Not so on my boat. I also have a full enclosure for the cockpit for those times when it's cool and lots of spray. Makes life more comfortable and enjoyable for us. If you like roughing it, go for it! I did in my youth, now in my late 60's, I have nothing to prove.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

👍👍completely agree. Why do people think they must suffer and not be comfortable if you're sailing? Is it a rule that you have to be miserable and sacrifice to be a "real" sailor?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:04   #19

Boat: islandpacket

Suffering today is my penance for my past life.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:06   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The AC's are easy, its the SCUBA compressor that changes things, they can draw quite a lot of power
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
You really think you are going to A/C a boat sailing or at anchor? Maybe a condo would be better
Not everyone wants rough it. Just because you have a mono that may have limited creature comforts, does not mean everyone enjoys that type of sailing.

Just like boats, everybody is different.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator