Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2016, 10:42   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon, 1970 Columbia 34 Mk 2, 1980 Neptune 24 FK
Re: 42' crowthers catamaran Hawaii to Seattle

Thanks Dave, I sent you a PM and hope we can sail together soon.

Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Wow, yes, Green Flash. Great to see this photo! Thanks for posting. This was my dream boat in 2000. We started Osborn Boats in Stuart Florida to build these. I had the hull and deck molds but, we re tooled the deck to include the "Blister" for queen size berths each side. We had Pete Melvin do the engineering, Bill Roberts the foils, Forespar the Carbon rig, Jeff and Bruce Osborn put the shop and crew together, and I did the extra designing, sail plan and sails. The objective behind this boat was, a catamaran to beat the F 31s across the finish line and cruise a family, or two couples, for a month. In 8 years of racing, we only were beat by a F 31 across the line once. Our top speed was 25 kt with the spinnaker up in the SORC 2000, just before the Carbon mast broke in the middle. Forespar replace the Carbon rotating spar and we never had a problem with this again. We would race for over 100 miles flying a hull with screacher up in Miami to Nassau and Ft. Lauderdale to Key West races. My wife and I would cruise the Bahamas once a year with friends. It was never intended for crossing oceans!
We will be shipping some new Carbon sails, to the new owner, Jim Miller, next week. Hope he has as much fun with it as we did!

mackconsult is offline   Reply With Quote

hawaii, catamaran, seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: