Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:35   #136

Thanks. Olivergm . Tell us when it arrive...
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 04:11   #137

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efam6 View Post
Spent yesterday at the Annapolis show with my wife. We were really impressed with the Maverick, a very nice boat. Met with Rudi, his wife and Alexis, they said to say hi to you Oliver.

I had high hopes for the Lipari. I really thought it was going to capture my attention and as was leaning towards it. For some reason it didn't. Don't get me wrong, it was a great boat. Maybe because I saw it last on the list?

Really liked the Leopard 44. It is has a great layout and feels like a comfortable boat. Got to meet "Bob from the video".

Going back today to walk through them again, decisions, decisions.
Decisions indeed! Half the fun is the research in my opinion. I met Rudi about 2 years ago and he really does have a passion for his product, and a very well made product indeed.*

I really like the fact the Maverick is fully customisable and would have loved to have been able to afford a new one. Fortunately I shared the same taste as the previous owner. Thankfully if you are buying a new one your choices are endless. Check this video for a good idea of the vessel...
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:19   #138

Boat: Leopard 40

Congratulations!! We were just in Annapolis and really liked the Maverick. Tom is 6'4" and I'm 5'2", I love that it accommodates a person my height. I can't tell you how tired I am of sitting on seat cushions just to see.
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 18:48   #139
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Going back today to walk through them again, decisions, decisions.
FWIW...take your time! Sail on as many as you can....and good luck!

BTW, how's the Maverick comparing price-wise with the frenchies and Leopards now?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 20:27   #140

Boat: Leopard 40

The Maverick is very competitive.
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 03:20   #141
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I noticed the LOA is stated as 12m, but the waterline length is 11.3m. The bows appear to be pretty plumb, so what is the discrepancy? Have they included the prodder in the LOA? If so it's closer to 11.4m/37 ft and pretty hefty in comparison. It would be interesting to see.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 22:36   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Sounds good.

I want to see the Maverick in Miami next Feb.
They are supposed to have a nice one for that show. They are finishing it up and want to show it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
FWIW...take your time! Sail on as many as you can....and good luck!

BTW, how's the Maverick comparing price-wise with the frenchies and Leopards now?
Very competitive! They also had a Knysna 48 and FP Orana 44 that we sailed on. I'll write a bit more on the others here shortly.
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:50   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

VERY competitive, if you compare apples to apples, Mav44 to FP 44 (Helia) to Leopard 44.

After months of internet researching, we went to the show expecting one thing and came away with totally other opinions. Keep in mind this is just MY personal opinions and we are a family of 6 who plan to liveaboard.

To make a long story short, the FP and Leopard felt like they were made for charters. They have more of a commercial feel. Reminded me of Ikea furniture, not that there is anything wrong with it as we have Ikea ourselves. The storage seems great for a week or 2 worth of food and clothing. The FP there was about $700k worth of boat while the Leopard was about $590k. I tend to lean more towards the Leopard over the FP but that little front seating had me intrigued. It looks cool and probably great for 2 week vacations would get old in the long run. Forget to close the door during a bumpy ride and you may wash out your inside. I can't imagine sitting there while riding in the same bumpy ride. I would have much rather preferred if they would have stretched out the saloon with that space.

Take a look here. Great for a morning breakfast somewhere in the Caribbean but imagine that interior space for the saloon?

For about the same price as the L44, the Maverick has alot to offer. Its finish seems more refined. It has good storage space and not just in the cabins. If you are buying new, you can customize it to your liking. The saloon has both vertical and horizontal sitting/lounging. You can sit in typical fashion and eat/work at the table or you can remove the rear back and extend out the seating almost to bed size, very nice, while still keeping your table. With the FP and Leopard you back is up against the wall and not going anywhere from there. I can see sending in the kids to do their work and them lounging day after day on it. Seems like it would quickly be the favorite place to be.

While the FP and Leopard layout show about a 50/50 balance between the cockpit and saloon, to me it felt more like 60/40. The cockpit area seems a bit more roomy. You can lounge out back but nothing but cooking and sitting in the saloon. Who wants to watch TV seated at a table?

The only thing that deters me from the Maverick, is the fact that you cannot cross from one side to the other without going through the cockpit and around anyone that may be there. But with that said I would take the Maverick over the others.

** EDIT **
We were lucky enough to go out on a 3 hr sail on the Maverick today with Rudi, the new owners (who just took possession yesterday) and the Capt. Alexis. It was a nice sail. I think I can get used to that back area. We were all over the cat. From the front to the back and side to side. All in all there was 12 of us, 8 adults and 4 kids, and we never felt in each others way.

Maybe the FP and L44 sail just as great or better but personally I think the Maverick gives you more overall.
Old 16-10-2013, 16:49   #144

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

The only thing that deters me from the Maverick, is the fact that you cannot cross from one side to the other without going through the cockpit and around anyone that may be there. But with that said I would take the Maverick over the others.

Thanks for your report, but what does that mean?
Old 16-10-2013, 19:13   #145

Forgive my lack of proper terminology but I was referring to the rear platform/deck/walkway area.

Here is a look at the Leopard 44 rear

You can see that you can walk from one hull to the other clearly.

On the Maverick here, the seat is all the way to the rear of the boat so you have to enter the cockpit to cross.

But with that said, I would still pick the Maverick over the FP or L44.

Hope that makes better sense.
Old 16-10-2013, 20:20   #146
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We were lucky enough to go out on a 3 hr sail on the Maverick today with Rudi, the new owners (who just took possession yesterday) and the Capt. Alexis.
Were you sailing on the Maverick 440? ...or the 400? What hull number? Was that Captain Alexis de Boucaud, of The Multihull Company?
Old 16-10-2013, 20:38   #147

It was the 440, just sailed up for the show. I know they have others at different build stages but this one was fairly new. Yes Alexis with Multihull, a really nice guy. Hoping to meet up with him later in the month in Florida.
Old 16-10-2013, 21:45   #148
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Alexis with Multihull, a really nice guy.
We agree. We never actually met Alexis, but we corresponded with him a lot and he was hugely helpful to us. So we often recommend him (and The Hultihull Company) to others.

It would be interesting to know the Maverick production numbers, including both vessels in the water and hulls in the factory. The Maverick website seems to be all about the 400 (including references to the Annapolis Show) but largely silent on the 440. Your experience, however, suggests the 440 may be (or at least was at Annapolis?) Maverick's marketing focus. When we were searching for our vessel the Maverick factory capacity was limited, probably an inevitable result of their promotion of customized (or fully custom built) vessels. Were you given any production lead times for ordering a new 440 or 400?
Old 17-10-2013, 05:20   #149

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
Having dealt directly with Alexis (sellers broker) I'd have to agree with the positive review. No BS, available 24/7, up front and generally a decent guy.
Re the Maverick yard I believe they are on about hull number 15 or 16. The 440 is the newer edition so I would think the last 4 or 5 have been the 440.
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 13:03   #150
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
Having dealt directly with Alexis (sellers broker) I'd have to agree with the positive review. No BS, available 24/7, up front and generally a decent guy.
When we dealt with Alexis/Multihull Company, they were acting (and generally promoting themselves) as buyers' brokers. It took us a while to get around that (buyers' broker) concept, but we certainly felt they carried it out brilliantly.

Tags
catamaran, paracelle