Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 07:29   #76

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

Dave,

Yes, that's always the next question ... heavy weather & the Strataglass. It was our concern as well, but no MC41 owners have ever had a panel "blow out". We've been in (only) 8' max waves & only had slight leaks, which we've eliminated with flaps covering the zippers & rubber "booties" where the lines come into the cockpit. Even one 8'+ wave that hit us broadside knocking stuff off the dinette (a first) didn't hurt the Strataglass, as it stretches rather than breaking like glass. If a panel ever did blow out, the cockpit is theoretically weatherproof with a pair of 4" scuppers to drain, with even larger ones possible (MC41's USCG tested for carrying passengers have 12" square grates) - you wouldn't really be in any worse a situation that most sailboats where their dodger is damaged. And look at the Chris White's - forward cockpit & with no protection.

Enclosing the cockpit with solid windows is always an option too, which we haven't ruled out. Maine Cat now offers such an option (at least for the forward 4 panels). I see that Tabby Cat, the only MC41 to cross oceans (from Caribbean to New Zealand) is currently installing glass - not sure if that has anything to do with their brush with a cyclone off Tonga where they had winds of over 60 knots!

Russ
Old 17-05-2013, 19:02   #77

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran

In the same state as a few on this post, probably 1yr from making a purchase for a live aboard cat. Just wife and myself, so origianally looked at 38-42 range, but not had enough headroom throughout for me (6'3")... The new leopard 44 is on my short list ,,, good bridge deck and headroom throughout, easy to sail short handed .I kinda ruled out the Orana due to poor construction quality and lack of headroom. Privilege and Catana is a nice boat, holds it value, but poor headroom and too expensive.

We recently relocated to FL to have more access to crew and test.

Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 19:13   #78

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran

As many have mentioned on this post, choosing a boat is a series of priorities and compromises... Here are my (hard thought) priorities:1) safety, sea-worthyness, reliability, ease of maintenance
2) liveaboard comfort (in my case this includes adaquete headroom
3) ease of sailing short handed
4) value for the dollar and resale value 10yrs down the road
5) ability to economically outfit it for fishing and diving

Therefore, I have ruled out low end charter pigs like Lagoon and FP, and ruled out high end (low headroom) names like Catana, Gunboat, Privilege). Looking at Leopard and Dolphin seriously.
Anyone familiar with Broadblue?
Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 19:34   #79

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

Nick,

I am also 6' 3", so headroom was a big concern for me as well & eliminated many cats. Looking at cats under 45', the only two I found were the Maine Cat 41 & the Antares 44. If you search for "headroom" in this forum, you'll probably find a few posts on this subject.

On either of these boats, you'll find adequate height. On the Antares, I didn't touch anywhere. On our Maine Cat 41, I don't touch anywhere except in the cabins at the extreme sterns & bows.

Russ
Old 17-05-2013, 22:02   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Im 194cms (6 foot 3 inchs and a bit in American) and I have no probl;em on my boat or indeed any of the Seawinds
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 00:20   #81
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & LA View Post
As many have mentioned on this post, choosing a boat is a series of priorities and compromises... Here are my (hard thought) priorities:1) safety, sea-worthyness, reliability, ease of maintenance

Therefore, I have ruled out low end charter pigs like Lagoon and FP...
If charter=pigs, why are you looking at Leopard?

We say 'each to their own', but every vessel ruled out limits your choices...and doubly so when you rule out the largest (by far) builders, many of which (like ours) were never chartered.

We own/sail a Lagoon, but we're certainly not blind advocates for Lagoon, far from it. There are many excellent vessels out there. Just reviewing your priorities and applying them to our L440 seriatim...

1) With now ~20,000nm passed under her keels, she's seen some serious stuff and we've always felt very safe on her.
2) Our experience (on ours and FP's) suggests the French certainly know comfort...and our L440 is superbly comfortable.
3) Apart from our delivery voyage (Italy to OZ) where we were 3-up, we're always 2-up and always fine...and nearly all the necessary trimming etc can (and usually is) easily done single-handed.
4) Only time will tell, but we certainly found the deep market (as in plenty of vessel choices) assisted us hugely in obtaining what we feel was an excellent buy price. We are also confident the recognized name will assist re-sale, altho we acknowledge the market will limit our re-sale price; that's OK by us as when we sell we'll no doubt just want to sell...and we will also be assisted by holding a 'never chartered' vessel.
5) No experience there, other than we comfortably carry basic dive and fishing gear.

In any event, good luck with your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 00:46   #82

Quote:

Therefore, I have ruled out low end charter pigs like Lagoon and FP, and ruled out high end (low headroom) names like Catana, Gunboat, Privilege). Looking at Leopard and Dolphin seriously.
Nick
Other than ease of maintenance, 1 and 2 are subjective to individual desire of which I won't comment.

Re: 3): how do you quantify this? To me is is more about personal experience than the boat layout. Having looked at many listings I can say I will probably have to redesign my cockpit for I don't much care for the various configurations of lines led into the cockpit. Is "lines led aft" your working definition?

4) Resale value is a function of maintenance. As a buyer I want to know the maintenance history and how skilled was the person doing the work. This goes for any piece of machinery. The seller wanting X% of investment is a non starter to me. The machine may have the bells and whistles but are they the bells and whistles I wish to have and how have they been maintained or upgraded? I wouldn't give a rip how much the PO paid, all I care for is what condition is it in.

5) I gather you mean to say you are limiting your search to platforms which you deem suitable for a given task. Your mentioned term "economical" is subjective due to the differing skill level from one person to another. A handy person would find it easier to make the conversion. Then again, only a slight bit of ingenuity is required to make dual use.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 10:07   #83

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Im 194cms (6 foot 3 inchs and a bit in American) and I have no probl;em on my boat or indeed any of the Seawinds
The 1160 I saw in Miami two years ago had fine head room. But the master bunk was too short.
Old 20-05-2013, 13:48   #84

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

FreshSalt,

I have to jump in with my Voyage comment, you know how us owners are bias toward our vessels. We were so pleased with our older charter version of the Voyage 470( prelude to the 500 or 50ft'er), we contracted with Voyage and got the first 520 Owners version. These Voyages are very sturdly built vessels no plywood cabinets inside to creak and moan as the vessel flexes, plus the improvements to the boats since our 1997 version was built are great. The 52 has a much finer entry at the bow and the opened up cockpit aft is great with all the room while lounging/ entertaining. Voyage has something that I have not seen on ANY other vessel, that is the kicker that comes out of the boom to use the main haylard to lift a heavy dingy on and off. I have also used it to pull out my generator, just swing the boom over, move the kicker out positioning it over the engine hatch and there you have a perfect steady hoist to pull out an engine even in a remote place. The electric winch on the new boat sure is nice hauling the dingy in and out, even single handed.

I read that you are going to Cape Town, go have a look at the Voyage factory. Meet the factory foreman, he is a great guy and has been there since day one. The boats do not stay there long after being built so the chances of sailing on one may be slim.

good Luck in your search
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:32   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Voyage has something that I have not seen on ANY other vessel, that is the kicker that comes out of the boom to use the main haylard to lift a heavy dingy on and off. I have also used it to pull out my generator, just swing the boom over, move the kicker out positioning it over the engine hatch and there you have a perfect steady hoist to pull out an engine even in a remote place.
I've admired that feature as well. But correct me if I'm wrong, there are a couple others that do that too, no? I could swear I've seen a Leopard with such a rig.

It could be I was seeing things. That happens sometimes.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:54   #86

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Voyage has something that I have not seen on ANY other vessel, that is the kicker that comes out of the boom to use the main haylard to lift a heavy dingy on and off.
If you take a careful look through Ortolan's blog, you'll see that the Maine Cat 41 has that feature as well. They put the dinghy on chocks so it's mighty secure underway and not swinging about on davits.

Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 23:16   #87

Thanks for everyone's input. Really have enjoyed this thread, especially the fact that its recent. I usually stumble upon great topics only to realize they are years old. I hope it continues to grow.

We are in the same 'boat' or at least hope to be soon. We have researched the same ones but have realized a couple of things. Let say you narrow it down to 1 or 2 boats, even that will be subjective. At that point you now have to look and see if that model is available AND in decent condition. Unless you are buying new, there is no guarantee that you will get your dream boat you have settled upon because none will be for sale/sail .

We have narrowed it down to a couple as well. When it comes time to make the purchase, at that point the best buy will most likely be the boat in the best condition even if its number 2 on the list. I would rather learn to accept what I think is a minor inconvenience than get a less than solid and sturdy sailing vessel.

I have also added the Maverick to the list. Up till now, I had no idea it even existed, nice boat. I contacted them to see if they were showing at the Ft. Lauderdale show in Nov, which we are planning to attend, but they are not . They are going to present a 440 model at the Annapolis show.

Thanks again!
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:53   #88

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:

Nick
How did your criteria rule out Lagoon and FP?
I have similar criteria. If I rule out Lagoon and FP, it will only be because I prefer the style of the Leopards, not because they don't meet my criteria.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 09:23   #89

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
.....Therefore, I have ruled outhigh end (low headroom) names like ...., Privilege). Nick
I do not know which Privilege models you have been onboard - but I expect it was a 39.

The newer models have much better headroom. My 37 has great headroom, and the 435 is even better.

What is more is that the beds also are long and wide. Suggest you have another look at an owners version of the 435.
Old 27-05-2013, 12:34   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efam6 View Post
I have also added the Maverick to the list. Up till now, I had no idea it even existed, nice boat. I contacted them to see if they were showing at the Ft. Lauderdale show in Nov, which we are planning to attend, but they are not.

Thanks again!
Pm me if you'd like to get on a maverick.

Tags
catamaran, paracelle