Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 16:35   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
i know they exist Andrew but never enforced on leisure boats
, not so Allan , the TO MSA refers to recreational vessels as much as commercial vessels. Its just that there are few areas where it comes into play for recreational vessels.
Quote:
even the ones you sell lack a lot of info that people want to make a decision,
I would be interested to know what?
Quote:
mostly i find the "lacking information" is deliberately withheld to cover up the particular problems or inadequacies by certain manufacturers Look at the Bridgedeck clearance for example if its small its not printed if it is high its plastered everywhere, i'm sure you get the picture.
Not only do I get the picture I strongly say that to people, if a manufacturer doesn't publish bridgedeck clearance then its a fair bet that it isnt enough.

I just keep getting cranky when I have other dealers telling my clients that they shouldn't buy an 1160 because it isn't 40 feet, and that they need to buy a Lipari 41 cause it is over 40 feet, Which of course is a simple lie, its 39 feet. Note that I don't say that that makes it a good or bad boat, simply that its a lie. And if they have to lie about something as obvious as that then, well I think they may have a future in politics.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 17:45   #122

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
, not so Allan , the TO MSA refers to recreational vessels as much as commercial vessels. Its just that there are few areas where it comes into play for recreational vessels. I would be interested to know what? Not only do I get the picture I strongly say that to people, if a manufacturer doesn't publish bridgedeck clearance then its a fair bet that it isnt enough.

I just keep getting cranky when I have other dealers telling my clients that they shouldn't buy an 1160 because it isn't 40 feet, and that they need to buy a Lipari 41 cause it is over 40 feet, Which of course is a simple lie, its 39 feet. Note that I don't say that that makes it a good or bad boat, simply that its a lie. And if they have to lie about something as obvious as that then, well I think they may have a future in politics.

Hi Andrew,

The rules are there but as i stated before not enforced, no-one ever checks a rec boat.

Seawind probably offer more info than most, but a quick look and you don't have the height to top of mast or the size of sails posted. most of the US boys want this to get under bridges, some want sizes of sails. Some give a mast length but not a bridge clearance, all info handy to some of the customers

Many fit a deck wash system with a pump that won't wash fresh spilt mud off a deck etc, these are all the little things that take a 400k boat to probably 750k boat, so it is important to know exactly what is supplied as standard.

Many post fridge sizes but for most customers a size of fridge and a separate size of the freezer component inside the fridge is helpful.

Powerdraw for every boat would also be great with the standard fittings but no-one posts this, i am sure many will be surprised to find that they need to run motors to sail overnight just to power the boat adequately Extra batteries are costly and room to place them is sometimes an issue, these are things that a salesperson with a good boat can get a leading edge with, but many fail, most don't even know the boats they sell.(i exclude you as i have spoken to you regarding a boat and you had every answer for me)

I agree that many salespeople tell customers lies, mate the French don't know how to convert to Feet and inches(when it suits them) but really, do you actually think that a customer is that silly to not actually know that a 41 is actually 39, and some of those 39's are even doubtful at least with my tape.
probably a few people around that don't do their homework but many do and what i am saying is that for many that do ALL the info is handy, that way we can exclude a boat or email for further enquiries.

Andrew don't get cranky get even sell more boats
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17   #123

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Salt View Post
After spending 10 days at sea solo handling a +- 40ft (which shall remain unnamed as it was the first one out of the factory) I now have a crystal clear picture of what I don't want.
This is a good reminder to me, as it reminds me of my experiences with RVing, which I did for several years on a full time basis.

If you ask me for advice on what to look for in an RV, you might be surprised at my answers
- that a double sink is better than a single sink,
- that more cabinets means smaller windows and less sunlight,
- that a 3 way refrigerator is useless because it will never cool on 12V anyway
- that more storage is not a benefit because it will put you overweight if you carry that much stuff in an RV

All, as it turns out, applicable to a liveaboard catamaran as well.

The point I guess is that these are the kinds of things that you CANNOT learn by reading specs, analyzing race results, or studying brochures - you learn them by living them.

It's why I used to always tell people to buy a small, cheap RV for their first RV because that will teach them what they DON'T want in a more expensive model. I've heard similar advice relating to sailboats.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25   #124

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

So Art,

You are still eyeing a 38-40 Lagoon or leopard?

That narrows it down pretty far. Makes it easier I guess.
Old 04-09-2013, 13:16   #125

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
So Art,

You are still eyeing a 38-40 Lagoon or leopard?

That narrows it down pretty far. Makes it easier I guess.
Or equivalent, but so far I haven't found an equivalent.

There are a few similar models - FP's for example, but they are less commonly available and commonly more expensive. So far I haven't seen any reason to think they are any better in value - at least not in the 40' range.

My real problems right now are not about the boat or it's size, it's creating the right financial and personal environment to make it a reality.

So I guess the answer is yeah I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Leopard, with Lagoon coming in a tight behind depending on the model year in question.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:48   #126

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Sounds good.

I want to see the Maverick in Miami next Feb.

Before I make a decision I will ask for your "year of boat" list. I am just looking at Lagoons this month and am confused about the years and their differences.

Round hatches and sinks for some reason turn me off. Why is that?
Old 04-09-2013, 15:01   #127

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Sounds good.

I want to see the Maverick in Miami next Feb.

Before I make a decision I will ask for your "year of boat" list. I am just looking at Lagoons this month and am confused about the years and their differences.

Round hatches and sinks for some reason turn me off. Why is that?
Simply as they don't work as well as a rectangular ones. Probably a design fashion to fit with curved impractical seating.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 15:28   #128
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
This is a good reminder to me, as it reminds me of my experiences with RVing, which I did for several years on a full time basis.

If you ask me for advice on what to look for in an RV, you might be surprised at my answers
- that a double sink is better than a single sink,
- that more cabinets means smaller windows and less sunlight,
- that a 3 way refrigerator is useless because it will never cool on 12V anyway
- that more storage is not a benefit because it will put you overweight if you carry that much stuff in an RV

All, as it turns out, applicable to a liveaboard catamaran as well.

The point I guess is that these are the kinds of things that you CANNOT learn by reading specs, analyzing race results, or studying brochures - you learn them by living them.

It's why I used to always tell people to buy a small, cheap RV for their first RV because that will teach them what they DON'T want in a more expensive model. I've heard similar advice relating to sailboats.
No experience with RV's here, but "living them" is certainly sound advice for vessel buyers. We learned HEAPS by sailing as many different cats as we could when we were looking. By the end of the nearly 4-year process, not only were we (and still are) delighted with our choice, but we were a very, very long way from the vessels we started out looking at...

Good luck in your search ArtM!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59   #129

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft

For what it's worth Ive just completed the same search and...have bought a Maverick 400. Its exactly what I was looking for. Not the fastest but can't get more comfortable in 40ft and as most time is spent at anchor anyhow, happy days. Having said that the Maverick on show in Annapolis averaged nearly 7knts none stop from Cape Town for 40+ days. No slouch either.
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 15:34   #130
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
For what it's worth Ive just completed the same search and...have bought a Maverick 400. Its exactly what I was looking for. Not the fastest but can't get more comfortable in 40ft and as most time is spent at anchor anyhow, happy days. Having said that the Maverick on show in Annapolis averaged nearly 7knts none stop from Cape Town for 40+ days. No slouch either.
Congratulations on your purchase! Is yours a new M400? ...and, if so, what hull number and when do you expect delivery?

Give our regards to Rudi and his team.
Old 11-10-2013, 16:59   #131

Cheers D&D. I ended up purchasing hull #5 Cosmoledo, the designers vessel. She's on board a SevenStar vessel due to arrive in Singapore mid Nov. I can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2102882403.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	68510   Click image for larger version

Name:	2341825691.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	68511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6127666543.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	68512  
Old 11-10-2013, 17:07   #132
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
Cheers D&D. I ended up purchasing hull #5 Cosmoledo, the designers vessel. She's on board a SevenStar vessel due to arrive in Singapore mid Nov. I can't wait!
Beautiful...is yours the square-top mainsail in the pic of the two vessels? Any cruising plans?

In any event, enjoy! We wish you fair winds and following seas...
Old 11-10-2013, 21:18   #133

Oluvergn. How long is her. Is there important duty in singapore
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 22:23   #134

40ft and 7% import if u want to register in Singapore.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39   #135

Spent yesterday at the Annapolis show with my wife. We were really impressed with the Maverick, a very nice boat. Met with Rudi, his wife and Alexis, they said to say hi to you Oliver.

I had high hopes for the Lipari. I really thought it was going to capture my attention and as was leaning towards it. For some reason it didn't. Don't get me wrong, it was a great boat. Maybe because I saw it last on the list?

Really liked the Leopard 44. It is has a great layout and feels like a comfortable boat. Got to meet "Bob from the video".

Going back today to walk through them again, decisions, decisions.
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, paracelle