Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 17:26   #181

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

I dont know what a 40 footer is like in bad weather to cook in,

But my 34 footer in Bad weather, Cooking is totally out of the question, The risk of being burnt, From some thing that spills, I dont bother, I just wait till the weather settles,

The galley is down, I can jam myself in there, Safely, Salads, cold meals Etc, Cold coffee, sticking it in the micro wave to heat, and then getting it out again, Be very carefull, the coffee is stinking hot, Your going up and down rapidly,
Microwave to floor, Prop your self, Pick up cup of coffee from floor with out spilling, or burning your hand, Its not easy,

My 3 metre Dinghy on the davits, Fell off, the welds broke on the rails, If I didnt have it roped on the way I did for travelling, It would all have gone into the drink,

Those welds are for show, they look pretty to the unskilled eye, But they have no strength in them,
My outboard motor for the dink, travels on the side of the Cat, On the rails,

Parking it is a breeze, Takes the scary bit out of it, when parking next to a $15,000,000-00. Yacht,
I only have one motor, not two like most Cats,

I personally would not take the new Gemini across an Ocean under any circumstances,
Due to the open transom,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21   #182

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
Hi all, relatively new here and was excited to find this thread.

I read through it - appreciate everyone's responses. It's also kind of cool to see the entire evolution of someone's research through an actual purchase.

I'm in a similar position, where I want to get a feel for the brands I should be looking at - and the various pros/cons of them. I decided to make a post as my requirements are a bit different (for better or worse). I welcome any opinions, good or bad - and am VERY interested in any known problems with specific models/years. I realize I'll be tight on budget and buying an older/used cat.

With all that said, here's what I'm thinking:

1) Budget: $200K max, fitted out for bluewater cruising
2) 36-40 foot, I'll be solo'ing it quite a bit
3) Acceptable bridgedeck clearance
4) Emphasis on safety/comfort over speed
5) Acceptable for passage-making (I'm not coastal-cruising)
6) Galley up (I think - I can't figure out why someone would want to go below deck to cook?)
My proposed solution to this laundry list is an out-of-charter Lagoon, purchased from Moorings - or a Leopard, if you can get it.

If you have the 200k, I would not consider going to a PDQ, Gemini, or anything else of that sort.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, paracelle