Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 18:05   #166

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

I love a down galley. The Antares has the perfect set up. Once which the new Gemini 35 has pretty much copied. The problem is finding one in a catamaran.
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 06:43   #167

Boat: Coming Soon ...

TheNomadTrip, good luck on your search

I found a wealth of info on this forum, and am glad I spent the time asking questions, some posts may require you to add a little salt, but enlarge you are in great hands on this forum.

Dave

A photo from the maiden voyage - Sunrise, Saldanha Bay to Cape Town.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12   #168

Boat: Roberts and Caine Leopard 40

I purchased a 2006 Leopard 40 this year. Early hulls had some problems with bulkhead movement. This was fixed somewhere around hull 40. I looked at both the Lagoon and Leopard. On paper, I liked the Lagoon better, but after spending time on both boats, the Leopard was the easy winner for me. This is a personal preference issue in regards to ergonomics mostly. My surveyor did mention that they are having some issue with the Lagoons with the glued bulkheads coming un-glued. The Leopards are all glassed (at least according to my surveyor).
AquaLeopard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27   #169

Sailing solo on a 40' cat. . . That's nuts! You need to stop thinking of your boat as a "home" on the water. Instead, think of it as your suitcase with a comfortable bed, a head, and a galley. FYI - marinas charge double for those double wides, and in the slightest bit of weather, they are almost impossible to handle alone (safely) at the docks.
frugalvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33   #170

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OK, I will feed this one post troll.

You obviously have not spent much time in catamarans. Maneuvering at a dock, weather or not, is about the easiest of all boats. Sailing solo on a 40' catamaran set up with minimal consideration is far easier than on any monohull over 30' or so. Not to mention safer for a singlehander. I have yet to find a marina that charges double. The same or 50% at most if we take up an adjacent slip.

Besides, if you stay out of marinas and explore isolated places with beautiful anchorages, your boat is your home and not a suitcase. Some of us don't just motor from marina to marina.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

And I can't think why someone would want to move from the most stable part of the boat to a location with more motion, less bench space, less stowage space, less room for refrigeration.
We have a Lagoon 380 and love the galley up. The airflow, space, and connection to the others aboard work well. It's easy to access the freezer we put outside under the seats, as well as the BBQ. Highly recommend galley up.

Ange
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05   #172

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

You obviously have not spent much time in catamarans. Maneuvering at a dock, weather or not, is about the easiest of all boats. Sailing solo on a 40' catamaran set up with minimal consideration is far easier than on any monohull over 30' or so. Not to mention safer for a singlehander. I have yet to find a marina that charges double. The same or 50% at most if we take up an adjacent slip.

Besides, if you stay out of marinas and explore isolated places with beautiful anchorages, your boat is your home and not a suitcase. Some of us don't just motor from marina to marina.

Mark
I dig this post. But I do think you fed the troll.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeW View Post
We have a Lagoon 380 and love the galley up. The airflow, space, and connection to the others aboard work well. It's easy to access the freezer we put outside under the seats, as well as the BBQ. Highly recommend galley up.

Ange
Thanks. This is about as hotly debated as "what is the best dinghy?"

I'm leaning toward a galley up myself - for the reasons you mentioned...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
I follow that line of reasoning, and thanks for outlining it.

My reasoning for the galley up:

- I think I'll be single-handing quite a bit, I want access to food/drink without losing sight of where I'm going

- If there are people onboard, I'd imagine you'd feel disconnected making dinner below

Any input on the rest of it? I hesitate to start another "What ~40' catamaran should I buy?" thread...
Galley up and down both have their pro's and con's.

Down is more stable at sea, the shape allows you to "lock" yourself in. It's cooler - heat rises - our saloon gets much warmer when there's cooking going on. The dishes and mess are generally out of sight.

Galley up is quicker to access from the cockpit, you have a better view while cooking, the cook Is more connected to what's going on in the cockpit. Seeing the mess might guilt your guests into washing up...

IMO galley up works better in bigger boats. In a 40 foot cat you'd need to sacrifice a significant proportion of your saloon space to accommodate a good sized galley.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:10   #175
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
Spot on Mark!

...and the troll is munching...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:37   #176
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeW View Post
We have a Lagoon 380 and love the galley up. The airflow, space, and connection to the others aboard work well. It's easy to access the freezer we put outside under the seats, as well as the BBQ. Highly recommend galley up. Ange
Out of all the cats out there today I think the Lagoon 38 would be the one, in my opinion, that would have benefited from a galley down. Nice boats but absolutely no counter space in the galley. No comparison to the older Lagoon 37 with the galley down.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 15:02   #177

Quick question for everyone here - on a Lagoon/FP/Privilege/Dean 38', can you put a 12' dinghy and 15HP two stroke on those davits?

What about in the 40' range?

And 42'?

I guess, at what length does it generally become feasible to go up to a 12' dinghy w/a 15HP motor. I realize this is determined by the carrying capacity of the davits as well. So if anyone has a 38-42 cat, can you chime in?
Old 01-11-2013, 15:09   #178

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Mostly dependent on the davit strength and space between the hulls (although this can be worked around some). We can fit a 12' dinghy between the hulls of our Manta 40, and the davits are good for at least 800lbs (the Manta 42 is the same).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:25   #179

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
Quick question for everyone here - on a Lagoon/FP/Privilege/Dean 38', can you put a 12' dinghy and 15HP two stroke on those davits?

What about in the 40' range?

And 42'?

I guess, at what length does it generally become feasible to go up to a 12' dinghy w/a 15HP motor. I realize this is determined by the carrying capacity of the davits as well. So if anyone has a 38-42 cat, can you chime in?
Direct from a leopard 39 owners manual...as a guide, dinghy, - 3.3 meters (10'9"), 60kg, fuel and tank 50kg, motor max 20hp, motor weight 50kg, total weight 160kg.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:29   #180

I've lived and cruised full-time on my boat(s) for almost 20 years now - averaging 10,000 miles a year. After spending two years on my 44' catamaran, I bought a 32' monohull to keep voyaging in, and when I can't sail safely anymore, will retire to my cat. Fact is. . . while great when the weather and conditions are, its an awful lot of boat for a solo sailor.
frugalvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, paracelle