Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 14:49   #151

Boat: Dolphin 460
Re: 40ft Catamaran Owners Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efam6 View Post
Forgive my lack of proper terminology but I was referring to the rear platform/deck/walkway area.

Here is a look at the Leopard 44 rear

You can see that you can walk from one hull to the other clearly.

On the Maverick here, the seat is all the way to the rear of the boat so you have to enter the cockpit to cross.

But with that said, I would still pick the Maverick over the FP or L44.

Hope that makes better sense.
Not sure what your cruising plans are ~ but might be worth it to also think about which "rear deck" you would rather have when running in big, sloppy following seas? I'm guessing the Leopard might be a bit exposed.
Old 17-10-2013, 15:06   #152

I too chose the Maverick--- but wouldn't chose that stripped canvas.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 20:56   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Not sure what your cruising plans are ~ but might be worth it to also think about which "rear deck" you would rather have when running in big, sloppy following seas? I'm guessing the Leopard might be a bit exposed.

Yes you are absolutely correct. Its a trade off. I think in the end it would be better to have a rear that is closed off, especially for the kids. It's something I could live with.
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 21:10   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
...It would be interesting to know the Maverick production numbers, including both vessels in the water and hulls in the factory. The Maverick website seems to be all about the 400 (including references to the Annapolis Show) but largely silent on the 440. Your experience, however, suggests the 440 may be (or at least was at Annapolis?) Maverick's marketing focus. When we were searching for our vessel the Maverick factory capacity was limited, probably an inevitable result of their promotion of customized (or fully custom built) vessels. Were you given any production lead times for ordering a new 440 or 400?
Rudi was telling me about the past boats sold. I remember him going up to about hull 14. They do have 4 boats in production already with buyers so a waiting list is starting to build up.

From what I can tell and reading something in the past here on the forum, I believe the 440 and the 400 are identical in everything except the 440 has added length to the transoms.

I was told build time is about 7 months but the next totally custom boat would not go into production till mid next year. They do have a boat they are building, with no current owner, for the Feb Miami boat show. That boat will be up for sale after that. I hope I'm not revealing too much info but it's nice to put the word out for anyone interested. That way, maybe they can get one sooner.
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 13:02   #155

Boat: Coming Soon ...

Gratz on your choice Olivergm, I've been in Cape town for last couple of months finalizing my purchase. I have been in contact with a good couple of industry people in Cape Town and heard only good things about the Maverick's overall quality.

~~~

I'll be taking possession of my Matrix 450 in a couple of days, and feel I must add that if anyone else is looking at South African Cats and have criteria similar to what I was looking for, that they would do well to give the Matrix a serious look over. The only draw back may be that the factory is usually quite busy building their flagship 76ft'rs and a new 45ft may involve a good wait.

I am well impressed with the one I've purchased, especially after now having completed the sea trials, and having had a full haul out survey done. Its condition after 4 years of sailing in Cape waters is still immaculate.

The vessel performed effortlessly under sail short handed, no doubt in large due to the roller-ball batt-car and furling systems with the help of electric winches

Sailing comfortably between 35-40 deg off the wind, going to 8knots in 20-22 knots of wind (gusting to 25) with 2 reefs in and a 100% on the genoa, the performance is better than what I had been led to believe from the polar and what various folks have had to say about the performance of live aboard type cats.

Unfortunately light air performance is as yet untested, but I'm feeling positive with a 156sqm main, and 77.2sqm genoa it will not be too much of a slouch. There is also a spinnaker and a code zero which I would need some instruction on before attempting to use.

The vessel will now be fitted with some additional electronics, and prepared for departure to the Med in late November.

Once again a huge thank you to all who offered their experience and advice, it has proven invaluable.

Dave
Old 18-10-2013, 13:51   #156
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Salt View Post
I'll be taking possession of my Matrix 450 in a couple of days, Dave
Congrats! on your purchase Dave! Those are some great sounding numbers.

Fair winds and following seas to you...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:03   #157

Quote:
<snip>
Unfortunately light air performance is as yet untested, but I'm feeling positive with a 156sqm main, and 77.2sqm genoa it will not be too much of a slouch. There is also a spinnaker and a code zero which I would need some instruction on before attempting to use. <snip>

Dave
I should think it would sail well. Those are HUGE sails! Are you sure those numbers are right? Just for comparison, on our 44'cat, the main is 55m2, genoa 35m2.

How tall is the mast? Boom length?

Congrats on the boat, and enjoy!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:17   #158

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efam6 View Post
From what I can tell and reading something in the past here on the forum, I believe the 440 and the 400 are identical in everything except the 440 has added length to the transoms.
Nope, not true. They are 2 different boats and the 440 had a wider beam, too. The helm is different as well. The 440 may have been the first midsize cat with a flybridge. All the former Lagoon models are here complete with a total production number for each model.
Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans
Old 18-10-2013, 14:31   #159

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
... with a 156sqm main, and 77.2sqm genoa it will not be too much of a slouch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I should think it would sail well. Those are HUGE sails! Are you sure those numbers are right? Just for comparison, on our 44'cat, the main is 55m2, genoa 35m2.

How tall is the mast? Boom length?

Congrats on the boat, and enjoy!
Yes, those sound like awfully big sails. My sails are 44sqm genoa and 67sqm main.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 17:26   #160

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

Nope, not true. They are 2 different boats and the 440 had a wider beam, too. The helm is different as well. The 440 may have been the first midsize cat with a flybridge. All the former Lagoon models are here complete with a total production number for each model.
Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans
Hi Sand Crab, he was referring to the Maverick 400 and 440, not Lagoon. Cheers.
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 18:43   #161

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Oops. sorry.
Old 22-10-2013, 10:42   #162

Boat: Coming Soon ...

My apologies:

It seems the following information on their website (Matrix Yachts, catamarans, boats and yachts) is incorrect, and has probably been confused with one of their larger models:

Main sail: 165 sq m
Fore sail: 77.2 sq m
Mast height: 27.6 m (90.7 ft)

The correct dimensions would no doubt be the following from their printed brochure:

Mail Sail: 74 sq m
Genoa : 42 sq m
Mast Height awl : 19.54 m

with hindsight those were some pretty ridiculous sizes for a 14m vessel
Old 24-10-2013, 11:20   #163

Boat: Lagoon 380

Hi all, relatively new here and was excited to find this thread.

I read through it - appreciate everyone's responses. It's also kind of cool to see the entire evolution of someone's research through an actual purchase.

I'm in a similar position, where I want to get a feel for the brands I should be looking at - and the various pros/cons of them. I decided to make a post as my requirements are a bit different (for better or worse). I welcome any opinions, good or bad - and am VERY interested in any known problems with specific models/years. I realize I'll be tight on budget and buying an older/used cat.

With all that said, here's what I'm thinking:

1) Budget: $200K max, fitted out for bluewater cruising
2) 36-40 foot, I'll be solo'ing it quite a bit
3) Acceptable bridgedeck clearance
4) Emphasis on safety/comfort over speed
5) Acceptable for passage-making (I'm not coastal-cruising)
6) Galley up (I think - I can't figure out why someone would want to go below deck to cook?)

I don't care about it being fancy, so I'm comfortable with production boats or charter-types. The boats that I'm running across (occassionally) in my budget are older - Catanas, FPs, Lagoons, and Privileges.

I've seen some super-positive things about the PDQ's for a budget cat - anybody shed some light on that?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice. Be gentle, I'm learning and just started looking.

-Nate
Old 24-10-2013, 15:59   #164
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
6) Galley up (I think - I can't figure out why someone would want to go below deck to cook?)
And I can't think why someone would want to move from the most stable part of the boat to a location with more motion, less bench space, less stowage space, less room for refrigeration.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 16:12   #165

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And I can't think why someone would want to move from the most stable part of the boat to a location with more motion, less bench space, less stowage space, less room for refrigeration.
I follow that line of reasoning, and thanks for outlining it.

My reasoning for the galley up:

- I think I'll be single-handing quite a bit, I want access to food/drink without losing sight of where I'm going

- If there are people onboard, I'd imagine you'd feel disconnected making dinner below

Any input on the rest of it? I hesitate to start another "What ~40' catamaran should I buy?" thread...

Tags
catamaran, paracelle