Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 00:10   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: 40 or 42+ Cat?

The trampoline is a nice laying around area, you can sit on the front lockers too using a cushion, and the princess seats are also there, the solon roof deck is a nice place too for sitting and gazing over the bay with a sundowner at hand.

But most of the time you will sit in the protected cockpit, when anchoring it points away from the wind and you have plenty of shade plus direct access to the fridge, the grill and the galley.
Old 30-03-2019, 05:11   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42

Here's another thumbs up for the Lagoon 42. After years of planning and looking at literally dozens of catamarans in the 38 - 44 foot range we purchased a 2019 Lagoon 42. Ocean Song has far exceeded our expectations. We love her open and airy interior which gives one the impression of being on a much larger sailboat. The openness has the drawbacks of reducing storage space and making the installation of additional hand holds a must. However, she still has more than adequate storage and moving around on deck or inside in rough seas is much safer than any monohull I've been on at sea.

At more than 25 feet wide, she is very "beamy" but the beam is essential to her big feel. The Lagoon 42 is the easiest cruising catamaran to sail I've ever sailed. In fact she is easier to sail than my old Catalina 30! The Lagoon 42 is a fantastic cruising catamaran - give one a look.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 06:00   #18

My wife and I have a Leopard 44, we like many others checked out many, many boats before buying. We chartered a boat like ours,and after a week of that, fell in love. The forward balcony is priceless in regards to enjoyment, and are very pleased with the boats performance as a pleasure boat. I recommend you charter one before you buy, what ever the choice is in boat.
Wmkenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 09:53   #19

WmKenney, This is exactly the info I was searching for. Although I appreciate input from those who do not have a forward cockpit, I was particularly interested in the experience of those who do. I suspect we would use the forward cockpit, but am glad to hear from an owner who has one. Any other owners with a forward cockpit who can weigh in on their use of that space?
jmondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 23:59   #20

I don't own a cat, 2 years (just under) to go.
However, I've always wanted one with a front cockpit. It was a deal breaker and helped trim down the list of potential cats in the 40-45 range.
My buddy and I with family (8 people) went from the US to the Bahamas on a charter L440. I really wanted a feel for what I thought I'd want to purchase.
After 7 days, no one really sat up front. Either inside or rear. If they wanted breeze and sun, everyone ALWAYS went to the trampoline. I was amazed. Post trip re-evaluated what was important and front cockpit was not on my list. Nice area up front, but not used much in my 7 day charter by anyone. Nice since I reduced my dream boat from a 2005-2010 L440 to a 2008-2012 L421.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 00:32   #21

We opted against a front cockpit, it is like a bath tub. I do not want to have up to 3t of water from a breaking wave dipping the nose down in a gale. Also a door upfront is a weak point in heavy seas.

You can sit on the storage lockers upfront, on the roof of the salon or lay on the trampoline if you feel the urge. The salon aft is the best place, shaded and protected from the sun, at anchor always on lee, so not too windy, but airy, near the galey, the beverages fridge, the fishing rods and the grill.

Bigger cats have an optional flybridge, but we are happyer with the sportbridge, ideal for a cruising couple.
Old 31-03-2019, 04:18   #22

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

From BeanCounter on another thread; says it well:
We use it occasionally for entertaining, mostly when the sun is shining over the stern on the boat, so there is shade and breeze. When we have them aboard the young folk like to lie in the sun read books etc, both underway and at anchor. It is more comfy than the nets. The other reason we like them is that it is a great place to toss mooring lines, fenders etc temporarily when getting under way or departing a dock when short handed, without fear of them trailing over the side, slipping through a net etc to foul the props. I also use it as a place to lower the spinnaker sock or gennaker when it is a bit rough. Also it is a safer place to be when furling the gennaker in big seas.

There are several anecdotes and reports of deliveries in big seas and rough weather vs no boats lost due to the forward cockpit filling - on a Leopard or a Lagoon. Change always bring resistance, much like when the NY Yacht club refused some of the first multihulls; now look at us.

Take the sage advice given earlier; go sail on or charter a couple to see what you like. MORE importantly, decide your usage. MOST importantly, ask your wife/husband/partner what they think. If you enjoy sitting in the cockpit facing out with drinks at sundown, or tied stern to, looking at the dock? You decide.

Good luck, it’s a fun process!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 17:54   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

My L450 is too big for me. If it weren’t for all my 6 kids I’d love a 40-42’.

A dozen of both have come through my anchorage/marina this last week and they’re all great.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
more storage, more stability in waves, faster, more expensive in marinas, cruising fees, haul outs, bottom painting, maintenance, parts, sails, rigging because everything is bigger....
I would add harder to handle / more work for two sometimes

Lagoon's have more room than leopards in the same LOA. So maybe you want to consider a 40ish Lagoon. Like most thing "boats" it seems it all depends on personal preference and intended use. No matter what you go with within your parameters you will adjust to. If what you are going to do is live aboard or approaching live aboard you probably will appreciate the extra space / beam that comes with longer LOA.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 15:12   #25

Boat: Privilege 42

My wife and I have owned a Privilege 42 for 15 years.

40 feet will offer plenty of space, but the larger boat will have a larger payload and that is much more important. You will appreciate the little bit of extra speed of the 42, but that will be more than offset by the extra cost of parts and dockage. Unless you plan to cross a lot of oceans, I would probably spend the extra money on two more years of cruising.

We have no forward cockpit, but would have used it only rarely if we had one. In the Caribbean there is often too much wind and sun to enjoy it. In late afternoon, the sun will fry the aft cockpit (wind is always from the east) unless you have a good harbor shade, and that is when we might have enjoyed the forward cockpit. At least on our boat, there is virtually no chance of a wave filling the forward cockpit (if we had one); I can not imagine the storm it would take to get waves over our deck. However, I would rather have that space as extra storage for fenders, spare anchors and rodes, propane tanks, etc.

BTW, we love our boat.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 20:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

...and that is exactly that. Great island charter boat. Now picture the same boat in >55knts, with big seas, charging down a big wave, bury the bows and scooping forward cockpit full of water - tons of water suddenly on board. Yeah, those forward pleasure cockpits are wonderful. No thank you. Unless, you are staying in the islands.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 05:03   #27

Boat: Bali 4.0

Granted, we are brand new to both sailing and living aboard, but we are absolutely in love with our Bali4.0

The comfort and openness of the living/indoor/outdoor space is beyond words (and loved by every sailor who has come onboard) and we've yet to have any complaints while underway... though, again, we have nothing to compare it to as its our first boat.

To my knowledge we are the ONLY liveaboards currently on a Bali... which I consider a real shame. We were lucky enough to find our boat used and having never been chartered, and obviously had to do some work to make her ready for us to live aboard... but so far we give her 2 thumbs up
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 08:52   #28

Nice Cat, the Bali, only the exposed helms aft with limized visibility are a minus point.
Old 13-04-2019, 09:44   #29

Boat: Leopard, 44

I have owned 3 leopards now all with the forward cockpit. Now in the 5000. If you are planning to cruise where the weather is warm to hot and don't want to run the AC all the time the front cockpit is great. In the evening in the tropics at anchor the sun is on the rear cockpit and the rear is protected from the cooling breeze so the front is protected shade with a breeze. I have read the concerns about catching a big wave in the area, but have not heard of a real event or experienced one. The scupper is huge. Summary, love the front cockpit.
saildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 20:02   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Nice Cat, the Bali, only the exposed helms aft with limized visibility are a minus point.
And the weight and ridiculously high boom and solid foredeck.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote