Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 19:41   #1

40 foot Catamaran

After looking at used boats not that there are many around here in Sydney we are starting to think about buying new. I know there will be lots of different opinions but trying to decided between a Lucia, Leopard 40 and probably lastly the Lagoon 40. I know this has probably been discussed already but I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks
kjbas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:56   #2

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: 40 foot Catamaran

What about elsewhere around Aus?

There’s a lot of second hand cats... Easy 37’s spring to mind for one. All depends on your budget and what you want to do with it - weekend house, liveaboard, etc.

If I was buying new, the Bavaria Open 40 is the boat I’d get. Been on one a number of times and they tick all my liveaboard requirements.

Nathan
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:40   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

All vessels have their strengths and weaknesses, and you'll learn most by Googling reviews of them, seeing them at boat shows, and perhaps arranging for test sails of new ones; that said, I personally don't think that any one stands out as superior to the others, and most condomaran sailors would be happy with any of them. Best of luck!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 13:47   #4

We looked at the open 44 for us it was just out of balance with the cockpit being a bit too large and the saloon too small also my husband didn’t like the helms being so out in the open
Old 12-02-2019, 00:15   #5

Don't like any of the Seawinds?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 00:19   #6

Not sure about the Seawinds probably don’t know enough about them
Old 12-02-2019, 00:57   #7
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbas123 View Post
After looking at used boats not that there are many around here in Sydney we are starting to think about buying new. I know there will be lots of different opinions but trying to decided between a Lucia, Leopard 40 and probably lastly the Lagoon 40. I know this has probably been discussed already but I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks
What do you want to do with it and where do you fall in the desired accommodations vs speed/sailing ability spectrum?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:04   #8

Probably somewhere in the middle
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12   #9
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Probably somewhere in the middle
For living aboard? Or day sailing and entertaining friends? Cruising or racing? Weekender with maybe one longer term holiday each year, say 3-4 weeks?

There's some really cool older designs that are fairly quick vs the lagoon which is more a liveaboard that's not going to sail as well. They're all good boats designed for their purpose so it's really a matter of accurately defining your purpose. In my opinion, of course.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:49   #10

We are in same situation and the three boats in your list are all in scope. For us the lagoon 400 s2 was our ideal but it seems brokerage owners versions are selling for near the same price as new boats which is insanity in its pure form.

Personally I like the cockpit and saloon of the leopard and the double access to the saloon although the Ikea look is not for everyone, but for me the access to berths even with the new opened up bulkhead is not as nice as the FP or Lagoon and the delivery cost means this is last on our list for new build.

The Lucia is a beautiful boat and its weight is better than the other two, I think the interior is by a long way the winner and the styling of the boat is also the best. I like the helm position and form and the Lucia is probably what my heart would choose but I do have concerns on build quality and quality of some of the equipment, not that it is not fit for purpose but think it will require more maintenance and probably sooner. The increases in pricing on any FP has been brutal and when you consider the mahe 36 was 175k EUR new when they stopped production a few back, I can't see how the Lucia which is 38 foot jumps up so much and the base model is super basic. You will need to load up on options.

Lastly the lagoon 40 is probably the compromise boat, it's a facelifted 39 with new sail setup which while a massive improvement over the 39 I prefer the size of the old 400. The new 40 also suffers from lack of storage and is definitely the heaviest. However the build is decent and the interior is pleasant with good function. The nav station is well located and the galley is a good layout. The owners hull is a great layout although wish they had put a larger aft looking window. The l40 would be head ruling the heart as it probably is best compromise at price point.

But thinking changes on a daily basis. Probably not much help but thought would share my thinking on the matter as we are in similar situation.
BlueSkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 14:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Not sure about the Seawinds probably don’t know enough about them
Some reading here CRUISING WORLD AWARDS
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:12   #12

Hi BlueSkyOne it seems we think very much the same on our choice of boats. We also like the lagoon s2 but not many around here in Australia and the prices as you say are still high . Our favourite is also the Lucia but as you say the finishes could be better. Not a fan of the seperate toilet as I think it could have been a nicer corridor with storage. The lagoon 40 also has cheap looking finishes but the owners side is nice except for the silly little lounge and the beds are not as easily accessed as the other two. There are compromises with them all I think but the mast been further back on the lagoon is probably a deal breaker for us. The delivery fee on all of them is around $80 thousand Australian dollars then there are taxes on top. Ideally we would like to get a used boat for now to travel the east coast of Australia as it’s our first cat with an idea to buy a new one out if Europe in a few years. It’s a big decision when your spending a lot of money! Let me know what you decide.
Old 14-02-2019, 01:16   #13

Hi BlueSkyOne
Have you seen the Lucia called Let’s Dance. That one is for sale in the Med and I would certainly be going for that one if I lived over that way. They have a YouTube channel .
Old 14-02-2019, 05:19   #14

Hi kjbas, that Lucia 40 Lets Dance is a well loved boat and I think the current owners are moving up to new FP 42. I think they wanted around 400k EUR for it, and I had a quote from FP at Dusseldorf show last month for a mid spec new Lucia around 385k EUR which would obviously come with warranty. I guess that means people are paying 20-30k plus 3 years depreciation as premium for not waiting 18 months and don't care about warranties.

Since I'm British the direction of Brexit has a massive bearing since it may be huge game changer on the currency rate ( and tax implications if I buy new), so that is something that hopefully unfolds over next month or two.

The economic downturn in Europe that started late last year may also play into things as could definitely move it back towards a buyer's market but that will take some time me thinks?

If you look to buy new would you not consider European delivery? Could be a great saving for you and lower the tax burden when you get it back home?
BlueSkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 11:20   #15

Hi BlueSkyOne buying new out of Europe is definitely the preferred plan. The problem over here ( besides the fact we are so far away!) there really isn’t much decent stock around and good used boats are going for a premium. What do you think of the new leopard? Is it more expensive than the FP?

Tags
catamaran