Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2012, 13:40   #16

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Re: 40' Cat for ICW

Thanks everyone...After beating a few times on the way to the Abacos, and taking your advice by changing from close reaching to broad reach, which helped a lot, and slowing down a bit, things got to be bearable. But once in the Bahamas all the beating was worth it, the cat is Purrrfect for the shallows and everything else...

We are now looking to upgrade to Leopard 40, for the increase space and mast height for the ICW.... anybody has experience with the L40?

Old 31-03-2012, 23:25   #17

Re: 40 ft Cat for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
[snip] unfortunetly, New York to Cape May is on the open, the Delaware bay can be quite rough, so can the Chesapeake down to Norfolk, and I would rather be outside as much as I can, this is why I am contemplating a longer water line in the hopes it would make semi-rough weather more bearable.... your thoughts are appreciated... PS although i love IP's I will not go back to monos...
If conditions on the Delaware and Chesapeake Bay are too rough for you, perhaps day sailing on an inland lake would be a better choice for your leisure. Or listen to the suggestions above of waiting for a good wx window before you go instead of taking it head on. Getting a bigger boat isn't going to solve your problem. Better judgment might take care of the whole problem and the advice here has cost you zero compared to the cost of investing in a bigger boat.

Of course, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a bigger boat, yours is as good as any, I suppose.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

no boat "likes"waves on the nose, cats like it less than monos
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57   #19

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
no boat "likes"waves on the nose, cats like it less than monos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH44 Anne View Post
If conditions on the Delaware and Chesapeake Bay are too rough for you, perhaps day sailing on an inland lake would be a better choice for your leisure. Or listen to the suggestions above of waiting for a good wx window before you go instead of taking it head on. Getting a bigger boat isn't going to solve your problem. Better judgment might take care of the whole problem and the advice here has cost you zero compared to the cost of investing in a bigger boat.

Of course, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a bigger boat, yours is as good as any, I suppose.
I was asking for opinions from people with experience with larger cats...not from frustrated abd arrogant know it all... If you have never been out there in not very ideal conditions...
Old 01-04-2012, 21:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
I was asking for opinions from people with experience with larger cats...not from frustrated abd arrogant know it all... If you have never been out there in not very ideal conditions...
I got 1500 offshore miles in my logbook last year; just getting started this year. Most of last year's sailing was in great conditions, but that hasn't always been true. After 30 years of racing and cruising on the Chesapeake and offshore racing, deliveries and cruising on all sorts of boats "out there" over the years, I've seen my share of "not very ideal conditions." I sometimes think I've seen your share too. My only frustration these days is that I'm getting too old for offshore racing. And if any of that seems arrogant, sorry. I was actually shooting for funny.

My point is that if you're having problems with the conditions, you should be picking better times to go. It's not always comfortable to cruise on a schedule. If you get caught by unexpected conditions, you can run for cover. Or you can tough it out and stay on schedule. That won't change by going from 37 to 40 feet LOA. I don't know it all, but I do know that - from experience.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 03:27   #21
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

My Catana 381 is quick, points at 35 deg to windward, does not Hobby Horse in waves on the Bow.
I sail her in 25/30 knots to windward, pinching out the gusts like the Tornado I raced with no problem.
IU out point Monohulls to windward all the time and she is for sale because I am buying another boat.

Contact me on bazcatanaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk and I will take you through it and send details of my Cat in Florida North.

Web site opens soon called what Cat NOT TO BUY so I know a thing or two, boat price under 235,000.

All the best Barry Parkinson
Old 22-08-2012, 06:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Barry that makes probably the fiftieth post that is an ad for your boat, I have no problem with that but I think we all get the picture. Your boat is for sale.
Old 22-08-2012, 11:33   #23
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Barry that makes probably the fiftieth post that is an ad for your boat, I have no problem with that but I think we all get the picture. Your boat is for sale.
He's posted his boat for sale everywhere except the classified section. Go figure!

Tags
icw, leopard 40, lipari

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: